iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neat Feller

Started by Bobus2003, November 24, 2010, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Never seen anything like one of these.. Are they common on the east coast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDNGz7SbPu4&feature=related

JDeere

I have logged in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont and I have never seen one on a job. Doesn't mean they aren't here, but I don't think they are very common.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

snowstorm

there is a guy in mass that sells them. have his ad in the northen logger mag.

Buck

You can bet that is ALL highlights of the day. In my country you wont get away with running in on soggy ground and screwing it around many times.  Didnt see any pull hooks. You can bet be has needed em a time or two. It looks alot more stable than the Bell machine we've recently seen posted.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Gary_C

You would not use that machine that way around here either. First thing is if you took it into one of our bogs or swamps, you would have to put that boom straight up like a flagpole to be able to find it. Second you are not allowed to cut near a RMZ let alone inside of it. And that thing is waay too slow and ground disturbing to be any good.

And there is a whole lot more reasons to say no thanks.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

treefarmer87

that bell is a bad little unit, in the hands of someone who knows how to run it. according to the info vid (another post) it can cut large sawlogs. you just cant hold on to em :o my good friend has one and loves it. the head can even pull a log or 2 like a skidder, my friend also says when he is cutting sawlog timber he will cut the top off of the trees too. that one in this vid would be more stable than the wheeled version. :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

I've never seen any thing like it.. I mean i have seen the 3 wheeled Bells with a Shear but never anything like that

sawguy21

Smallest one I have seen. Looks like fun but I can't see it being overly useful here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nate Surveyor

Does it have a camera to back up?
Does it have a swivel seat, (I saw the little backup window).

Seems that going backward is a way of life for it, especially with any large trees.

Thanks.

N
I know less than I used to.

barbender

I could make good use of that thing around here, Gary ;) Definately not low ground disturbance, but a lot of the stuff I do it doesn't matter. I'd still rather have your Ergo though :)
Too many irons in the fire

treefarmer87

it has a CAT D4 undercarrige i believe and a Deutz motor
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Gary_C

Quote from: barbender on November 24, 2010, 11:38:47 PM
I could make good use of that thing around here, Gary ;) Definately not low ground disturbance, but a lot of the stuff I do it doesn't matter. I'd still rather have your Ergo though :)

Ya, I guess I am spoiled. I could probably have cut all that he did in the video without turning a wheel or getting one wet and had it all cut and in a pile in less time than that. But I would not knowingly go near that wet hole.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

No, you don't get anywhere near a water hole like that up here. MN "Swamp Loggers" have to wait for "hard water" conditions in the winter :)
Too many irons in the fire

ephnyb

I own and operate a Bell Super T with sawhead. It might not be the fastest or most productive but I think it is the "Best Bang For You Buck" tree cutter you can get. It is only limited but the operators skill or imagination. It can cut, top, delimb, cut to length, bunch, skid, and deck logs. I can cut 6 to 8 loads of Ponderosa pine a day on 12 gals of fuel. It only weights 14000 so I don't like to skid logs far, but it is very good at bunching for a skidder. As far as seeing out the back, you can't. You just remember where you are or turn around. There is another clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDNGz7SbPu4
There are Old Loggers and there are Bold Loggers, But No Old Bold Loggers

ephnyb

treefarmer87

Alot of people dont like them. i agree with you ephnyb. they are very versitile
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

IMOWOOD

I run a Bell Ultra T three wheeler with the dangle head.  Its good on flat or moderatly sloped ground but scary on the steep stuff.  When i first started on it I hated it and tipped it over in the first 30 min of running it.  But now I love it, on an average 8 hr day its possible to put down and bunch 20-30 thousand feet with it as long as the trees are not too big and the ground is good.  The job Im on now I am proably only doing about 7 because its so rough.  You can cut a surprisingly big tree with it (biggest Ive done is 38 in at the stump) and like said before you can top, limb and bunch.

Bobus2003

Quote from: ephnyb on December 03, 2010, 10:56:27 PM
SORRY WRONG VID CLIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZdvH9DWrQ

I think i like having more control over the falling direction of the tree than that thing seems to give

IMOWOOD

That guy does not look like the greatest operator.  You can get 90% of them to do what you want if you o it right

ephnyb

I would say they compare to a chainsaw. Most of the time it is right where you want it, but there is always the unexpected.

Thank You Sponsors!