iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 360 isnt running right

Started by timberjack97, March 22, 2014, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack97

my timberjack 360  grapple  skidder isn't running right when I need power it acts like its not getting fuel I put new fuel filters on on it new water separator filter  and I hear like a wining noise in my controls to run my grapple  and also how much oil does the transmission hold when its completely empty something just isn't right any advice thank you

Brleclaire

Could be fuel pump. We have a 360 that would run but just lacked power. After changing filters and making sure there were no blockages in fuel line from tank. Replaced pump and ran like a top. The manual says tranny capacity is 8 gallons. Is the whining in hyd. System from valve bank area or by hyd pump in engine area.

timberjack97

did you replace your lift pump that made it better then the noise is coming from the valve bank area could my lack a power becoming from my transmission

Brleclaire

Yes the lift pump that brings fuel from the tank to the filters. Start with the simple stuff on whining noise. Check hyd oil level and trans fluid level then work your way on down the line from there

timberjack97

I put an electric pump on to help the hand lift pump wont that help?

/

snowstorm

Quote from: timberjack97 on March 23, 2014, 01:30:42 PM
I put an electric pump on to help the hand lift pump wont that help?

if you put an electric pump on it you dont need the lift pump. my valmet and rottne have facet electric pumps. they work well but are not cheap. napa can get them about $100

/

timberjack97

what size pump do I need

what size pump do I need

/

kiko

What kind of supply pump does it have? The old style has a lever below it to prime,  if it has this one there is a filter inside the pump that cannot be changed. Lift pump must be replaced and of this filter is stopped up a electric pump will not help esp. If the fuel is traveling through the lift pump.  If it has the plunger style lift pump, there is a screen at the pump inlet that may be clogged.

timberjack97

it has the  rubber push hand pump I wanted to replace the lift pump but a guy told me my cam was out and that I couldn't do that is that true?

kiko

Cam was out? What does that mean, is the
Lobe for the lift pump worn out?  How was this determined ?Check the screen, if not clogged. Check the overflow valve on the return line where it exits the injection pump. This is the relief valve for the lift pressure.  When it pulls down is there any engine smoke? Could be a boost leak at air tube intake gasket or waste gate. Also it may be nessesary to check the lift pressure. If you can't do this replace the lift pump.

timberjack97

I took my fuel filters off and pumped the lift pump by hand and had lots of fuel come out  does that mean the lift pump is working ok?

kiko

Not nessesarily,  the pump move fuel when not pressurized and still be bad.

timberjack97

could my transmission be making it have no power too?

kiko

I know these cummins engines like the back of my hand and I have tried to help. I ask questions that are pertinent to finding where the power lose is, but you are just all over the place. Maybe you should check the short between the steering wheel and the seat and I will check out of this thread.

timberjack97

hey guys I took your advice and put a new limp pump on from cummins but I m still having the same problem when you first start running it for like 15 minutes it does fine but after that it just starts losing power you can be in 3 gear holding in to the floor and  barly wants to move its self  I don't know what to do next

lift pump

timberjack97

does anybody have any advice for me?

timberjack97

duckslayingpro

I cant help you with your motor. But some people may take it as you being rude with your last post asking for advice. Good luck too ya though

timberjack97

I m not being rude I just don't know what to do now

Ken

The unfortunate reality is that many problems can not be diagnosed through a chat room.  Although I hate to do it there are times that you are much farther ahead by calling in some technical support from your local Cummins or Timberjack (John Deere) dealer.  They may be expensive but if your machine is not working you are going farther behind every day.  I know my machine quite well but had to bring in the experts today.  Down time is a killer
Lots of toys for working in the bush

tj240

i ran a 360 cable machine and a friend ran another no problems with the one i ran but my friends had prob that sounds like yours the throttle petal is electronic and had to be replaced another problem was in the computer they are animals as far as work but all the electronics will drive you nuts try the throttle pedeal i believe it is electronic
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

bushmechanic

Man for some reason timberjack97 you seem to rub people the wrong way. I don't think you do it on purpose but you seem to get off on the wrong foot. I think you need to listen more and stop talking. Kiko is likely the most knowledgeable guy on here to help you with your problem, but it seems that you have alienated him. You have to realize that nobody on here is getting paid to help and it is only if we want to help we weigh in on topics. I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade and as I'm guessing kiko is also by his knowledge of equipment. In order to help there is a process called troubleshooting which will direct you to your problem, it is a step by step process. So when you are asked a question answer it to the best of your knowledge and wait for a response, please don't keep butting in. Power loss can come from a lot of different things but you need to rule out stuff so you don't waste time and buy unnecessary parts, again it's a process. You say it sounds like it's running out of fuel well maybe you have dirt in the suction line or a bad line itself. We can help if you let us.

Firewoodjoe

Any way you can check fuel pressure? If the engine don't change in sound or smoke color maybe it's not fuel. You said works fine for a few minutes well maybe your tranny gets warm and slips. Need to check the fuel accurately. Sorry for your luck

Brleclaire

When u have it in gear and you say it will barely move in third gear does the engine rpm go up like it should. If it does then it your tranny the sound u hear is probably the tranny not your hydralics. Check the fluid level first. You have to have the tranny warm and in neutral with parking brake off to get an accurate reading. If that's ok then call somebody to come check it over. The older 360's have a clark transmission so if u know mechanic who has worked on these that would be good. What year is the skidder?

Firewoodjoe

I'm guessing a 97 because his name is timberjack97. Not sure though. We have a 97 360 with the second engine and 20,000 hours and tranny is good yet. But that don't mean anything

timberjack97

hello my timberjack is a 97  I m pretty sure the problem is fuel related did anybody ever have any trouble with the electric fuel shut off sellanoid 

timberjack97

Firewoodjoe

Prior to getting the second engine the first had low end but no top end and we were told it was the injector pump. But it had gobs of hours and we just did a complete crate engine. Pump and all. My dads dodge had the 5.9 and the plastic line going to the turbo melted and lost power fast. Idk

Mark K

Might have been cheaper to call a mechanic then have all this downtime. I turn my own wrenches but if I cant figure it out quickly im not affraid to call somebody. If your primer pump is putting out fuel and you are getting good fuel flow to your injection pump then I think you've found your culprit.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Dave Shepard

There are just too many different things that can cause problems that one really needs to be able to lay their hands on the thing to diagnose it. If it's not making boost, it would not make power either, even if the fuel system was up to snuff. I had a clamp fall off of an after cooler line on our dump truck this winter. It acted like a seriously plogged fuel filter. As I was sitting in the cab with the hood up revving the engine after I put new filters in, I saw the hose expand every time I revved the engine. A new clamp and the truck was running better than it had in years. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bushmechanic

Yes timberjack97 I have had problems with the fuel shut-off solenoids. On that year of machine you should be able the tie the shut-off lever open and that will keep the shut-off from falling down into the stop position. Just remember to let go the tie or it won't shut off. On the timberjack harvesters there is a emergency fuel cut-off that cuts the fuel if the machine is burning so as not to keep fuel to a fire. You can take it apart and clean it or try any bypass it in order to see if that's your issue, and it is solenoid powered valve so you might have a bad solenoid or an electrical problem to it. 

kiko

I think some progress has been made so I will check back in.  The lift pump supplies the injection pump and does so by maintaining pressure within the injector pump housing it's self, thus forcing fuel into the pump chambers when they come open. To maintain this pressure with in the pump housing a pump ( lift pump) and a pressure regulator a required. The pressure regulator is made into the banjo fitting where the fuel return line hooks to the injection pump. This regulator is simple ball poppet valve. If this valve is has failed the lift pressure will never build and result in a no smoke engine pull down. This valve can be removed and easily disassembled to inspect. I have seen these where the ball poppet is gone.  Where to?.  On the fuel line leaving the fuel filter there is a bleeder screw made into the banjo fitting. 10 mm wrench to remove. I take the banjo fitting and braze a 4mj-2mp to the banjo where the bleeder screw and washer has been removed.  It can the be capped with jic 4 cap. Now you have a fuel pressure check point. Lift pressure should be around 20 psi.  If you don't want to go through all this, with the engine off pump the lift pump at some point you should hear a small squeal as the poppet comes off its seat, if you never hear this squeal the valve is defective. All this is assuming it has an inline injection pump rather than a rotary pump. The 360 came with both depending on production date.

timberjack97

kiko

Yea , got that. Does it have an inline injection pump, or a rotary pump?

timberjack97

how do I tell the difference between the two pumps

OntarioAl

One looks like an inline 6 cylinder engine the other looks like a rotary engine with all the lines on the same plain.
Al
Al Raman

Dave Shepard

An inline pump will have all six injector lines in a row. The rotary pump has them in a circle around the end of the pump.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tj240

a friend of mine ran one and they had to change the computer or ecm not sure of the name. then another i know had to change the throrrle pedal because theirs was electric not sure of yours but the computer problem effected alot of the 360. real pulling machine when they work.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!