iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buck with no brow tines

Started by uplander, November 28, 2016, 12:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uplander

I killed a buck with no brow tines Saturday. Is that considered a genetic defect buck?
They were not broken of from fighting, they just never developed.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Jeff

I'd call it a trait, not a defect. Pretty common. Not the norm, but common at least around here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Maybe not common but certainly not unusual.  Sometimes they have only one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

I shot a six point a couple years ago with no brow tines.  I thought he was an eight until I walked up to him.  Shot more than one seven point with one brow tine. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

I have known a few people that did not have any brow tines, either. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

uplander

35 years of deer hunting. Some where around 60 deer taken. Mostly on the same ground and this is the first time I have ever seen a buck with no brow tines.

It must be a genetic thing, what is passed down through succeeding generations.

Two weeks ago my brother killed a deer on the farm that he thought looked exactly like a buck that I killed in 1991. Sure enough we looked at the mount of that deer on the wall and the similarities were unmistakable.
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Sparty

This weird little 6 point likes to visit my camera at 3am every morning.  I don't even see a hint of brow tines.

Ron Scott

~Ron

coxy

same here lots  with out and with one

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on November 28, 2016, 08:36:51 PM
I have known a few people that did not have any brow tines, either.

bat_smailey
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

coxy

Okrafarmer

I only shot one buck in my life, and it  was a six-point with no browtines. Laurens County, South Carolina, 1998.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bill m

I just got a 4 pointer yesterday with no brow tines.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

DeerMeadowFarm

It happens a lot. My buddy in Maine seems prone to finding those!

uplander

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on December 02, 2016, 09:01:27 AM
It happens a lot. My buddy in Maine seems prone to finding those!

Not common in my woods. First one that I have seen. I bet he's going to taste fine though.

DeerMeadowFarm

And the day after I read this, my buddy gets a 4-point with no brow tines!

Weekend_Sawyer

Dy buddy Steve picked off a nice 6 point Saturday. No brow tines. They figure it was a 2.5 year old. I wonder if it's next set of horns would have had them.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!