iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Price on Anchorseal

Started by brendonv, May 12, 2016, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

I had a pail of left over rubberized roof coating that we used on a horse trailer, I think it's called Henry's or something like that, around $65 / 5 gallons at the big box store.  Anyway, I have used it on pecan and a couple of other logs I don't see often and I have been quite happy with the results.  I do have some on a big red oak that escaped to the back of a pile, that has been on there for 2 1/2 years now and it still looks good. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

The Woodcraft store in Richmond carries Anchorseal, but nothing bigger than gallons.  For me it's been better for both price and convenience to buy direct from UCC coatings. 

I'm betting that someone here carries the WR Meadows product, but it doesn't show up on the radar.  I'm going to ask around.  I'll let you know if I find a local source.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Southside,

Is your coating clear or opaque? I use clear anchorseal so I can still see the end grain/checking to help me determine how to open and cut my logs. I'll admit it partially obscures some of the end but the major features can still be seen.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about Anchorseal that makes it very convenient:  Since it's a wax emulsion product, it doesn't dry up in a sprayer tip when left for a long time.  You don't really need to clean the equipment.  I also keep a 4" brush suspended in a coffee can with water in it.  Cut a small x in the plastic lid and slip the handle through.  This allows the brush bristles to be suspended in the water.  Shake it out and go to work when needed.  Cleaning up brushes or sprayers after every use would be problematic to me.  Sometimes the sprayer will sit for a month or two between uses and it doesn't clog.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

btullah,

Sounds similar to what I do. I took a 1 gallon milk jug and cut out a section opposite the handle leaving the neck on. I keep a 4" paintbrush in there and if I do happen to pour up too much anchorseal in the jug I can still pour it back in the 5 gallon jug using the neck as a funnel when I am done sealing logs. Works fine for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

WV Sawmiller,

It's opaque, pretty much white.  I put it on with a roller and I can still see all the end grain. I will get a picture of that oak log and some sawn pecan that has been drying for a while now so those who use the Anchorseal can compare it to what you see, I have never used the stuff so I can't compare it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

landscraper

Quote from: btulloh on November 30, 2017, 08:43:27 AM
I'm betting that someone here carries the WR Meadows product, but it doesn't show up on the radar.  I'm going to ask around.  I'll let you know if I find a local source.

A.H. Harris Inc. in Richmond sells WR Meadows products.  If 1300 isn't in-stock they probably have it at one of their other stores and can transfer it in.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

wesdor

I belong to a woodturning club and each August we raise money by selling about 50 turning blanks.  This year one of our members took a class with Glen Lucas (Irish Woodturner) and Glen uses Concrete Bonding Additive.  It is only about $13 / gallon but is very thin.  We coated everything this year with Concrete Bonding additive and people seemed happy.

Personally, I prefer Anchor Seal, but at about half the cost you might want to check on the bonding additive.  I bought it a one of the box stores and it was easy to apply.

flatrock58

I spent a few days trying to get the Wr Meadows or other wax based emulsions, with no luck.  They did not sell them in Atlanta.  Several companies make a water based wax emulsion for curing concrete.  What I did find would be as expensive as anchor seal with shipping.  It would be nice to get a 55 gallon drum between a few people and split it up.  I know that is what a lot of woodworking clubs do.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

MbfVA

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 30, 2017, 01:33:08 AM
Its water based.  When it freezes the waxes and emulsifiers will separate and drop out of suspension.
I asked UC coatings explicitly if Anchorseal is freeze proof, and the rep said somewhat confusingly but in writing, we do put antifreeze in it, but we don't recommend leaving it outside to freeze.

I think maybe they outsourced that question & answer to my member of Congress.   Or maybe she had just read the opening scene from Romeo and Juliet.
www.ordinary.com (really)

PA_Walnut

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 26, 2017, 04:54:20 PM
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Love that quote in your signature!   :D  :):D  :):D :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

Look into a drum heater. It's a band strap the goes around the drum then
you just plug it in...

Drum heater
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

longtime lurker

Quote from: PA_Walnut on December 02, 2017, 06:25:02 PM
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Yeah well I'm only half joking (or I'm half way there depending how you look at it). I'm covering a half mill $ mortgage with a sawmill, and to get to where I want to go I need another $250k or so in equipment (2nd hand) I'm one of the best mill managers in the business, but other then that ability and not being afraid of work I've got nothing behind me asset wise: without the $ you cant buy the equipment and without the equipment you can't make the $. So we do it all on a shoestring and I work hard instead of smart, and we all know whoever said hard work wont kill you wasnt in this line of work.

Acute Sawdustitis:  :It's a sublime form of madness. :D

OffGrid973

The two gallon size is easy to carry and half the price of a whoopsie when it tips over. I can throw it in the truck for fresh cut when I can't get the logs that day. The clear also works well for face grain on slabs when you want to save a piece with some nice knots.  Can never put too much on, and always bring inside if near 30 degrees.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

PA_Walnut

Lurker,
I surely know what you're talking about...it never ends.  :o

I'm walking the same wire....fortunately, I have another unrelated business that can sustain me while I'm "working the problem".

Continually I'm reminded of the joy/satisfaction of doing something I like. There ARE a lot of people making a good living at it--just have to find the proper course and walk-the-walk.

I'm curious as to your current challenges and equipment needs. It helps to learn from others' struggles and successes. I'll PM you.

Quote from: longtime lurker on December 02, 2017, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: PA_Walnut on December 02, 2017, 06:25:02 PM

Yeah well I'm only half joking (or I'm half way there depending how you look at it). I'm covering a half mill $ mortgage with a sawmill, and to get to where I want to go I need another $250k or so in equipment (2nd hand) I'm one of the best mill managers in the business, but other then that ability and not being afraid of work I've got nothing behind me asset wise: without the $ you cant buy the equipment and without the equipment you can't make the $. So we do it all on a shoestring and I work hard instead of smart, and we all know whoever said hard work wont kill you wasnt in this line of work.

Acute Sawdustitis:  :It's a sublime form of madness. :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

charles mann

5 gal through UCC is $88 and to ship to tx, is $42 in shipping. not finding 5 gal on amazon any longer.  not finding a place in tx that carries it in a 55 gal drum either, but a place in Ga. sells it for $499, plus $166 shipping.

does it spoil? is there a shelf life on it? 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Thank You Sponsors!