iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edging boards

Started by Rhodemont, February 19, 2023, 07:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

I am wondering how well a Woodmizer EG50 Edger works for edging/sizing boards evenly to be used as sheathing.  I currently put a couple 1 x 10 back up on the mill which is time consuming and does not always work well for me if the boards have varying amounts of curvature (wane?) causing me to take off the high center then flip and take off the high ends.  A double blade edger would size all the same but with only one blade and a fence can an EG50 get all uniform width?  
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

richhiway

I don't have an edger. If I need boards to be extra true on the edge I cut them a half inch wider,let them dry then stack them a dozen at a time on the mill and take a quarter inch off each side.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

stavebuyer

The EG50 does very well, especially if you have a square edge on one side to start with. Sure beats edging on the mill. Surprised they aren't more popular.

Dad2FourWI

Yes, the Edge50 does a great job. We use ours all the time! We even get clients involved and they love the fact that something that looked like firewood turns out to be a beautiful board.

Makes making stickers child's play too!!!! LOL!

The only issue we have had is on edging long boards. The rollers/table is not very long and you have to take care on ending a board. Sometimes when the boys rush through, the board will get a bit "thinner" on the last foot. Not the fault of the edger but still something to watch out for.
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

WV Sawmiller

Are you sawing mobile or stationary? I know the EG50 was designed to be portable but when I load up for a distant job I'd be hard pressed to find the extra room to load one up plus I could either run the mill or the edger. I've seen them in operation and what I saw looked like a nice little machine but they don't mesh with my operation. If I were stationary and had a helper I'd probably want one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Rhodemont

I would be using it at home by myself.  I do move the mill around the property to save on skidding logs so being mobile sounds good.   Would like a double blade but that is likely out of price range and not as mobile.  I spend a lot of time working the flitches on the LT35 and often am not happy with my results.  
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

WV Sawmiller

When you clamp your flitches to edge them are you just clamping a bunch of flitches or are you clamping them against a cant or stack of boards? If you have not tried clamping the flitches on the cant or stack of boards they came off of I recommend you try it. It is much more stable.

I used to stack against the cant but found if I released the clamp on a thin cant it would often rise up due to stress and mess up at least one board so now when I flip the cant that final time I clamp it tightly lower than the last board I plan to cut then I saw to the bed. I leave the last 3-5 boards on the bed and stand the flitches up against them and edge against them. It is as stable as using a cant and does not leave me with a thick or thin board at the bottom of my cant.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

steve marek

I have. One I use it on my bigger mobile jobs works great customers like for making sticker so then can stack there lumber right off the mill and makes sort work getting boards square up 
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

moodnacreek

Having an edger, the bigger the better, allows you to do more sawing and less thinking. Today while sawing walnut we had a good sized log from a lightning struck tree, dead on one side. The plan was to get an 8" cant to be 1x8 boards, the rest waste. The first slab off and a waste 1" board and we have a wide clean face so I just saw the boards, wide ones, and worry about the rest when i hit rot or can't hold it anymore.  I couldn't help think back when I did not have an edger and would have had to turn and saw and or edge on the mill. I know I would of wasted more that way.

Thank You Sponsors!