iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new home, returning to the farm.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Really nice!  Congratulations on a very nice and quick build.  I noticed it was 1/18 when you started the thread.  Foundations dug in June.  Here it is November and you are in!  I am about 10 years in on a barn project!  :D

SwampDonkey

Bringing this thread out of hiding to announce I am building the garage in 2 weeks. Very simple structure, steel roof and vinyl. Bare studs inside. Materials and trusses around $7000 plus 2 weeks labour. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I remembered that a garage was in the plans, so lets get-r-done.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

A garage adds alot to the look of a house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Trusses for the garage arrived and I tarped them. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Materials landed here this week. Lumber, OSB, siding, corners, J-channel, soffit, sill gasket, flashing, house wrap, roof vents, windows, door. Everything is tarped.

The steel won't be here until we have the roof on for the final measurements before cutting. But it will just be a matter of 24 hrs or less on delivery once they get word.

Begin construction June 3.

Grass seed is starting, foreground and upper right.

GRANITEstateMP

Good for you SwampDonkey!

I've enjoyed following your thread.  Always neat to see something take shape

I will be starting another house in a couple weeks.  Me and an old friend, now business partner, did a spec house last year (as a side project) with the help of a local GC.  It went fairly well, learned a lot, and made a little, and now we're gonna give it another go.

Best of luck with the rest of the build.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Day 2 progress on the garage. Ready for the steel roofing. Windows and entry door hung. Started the siding.

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

Day 4. Roof and siding complete. Ready to pour the floor and wire the electrical. :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Nope Camry. Traded the Rav4 for the Tacoma in 2014. :)

SwampDonkey

In preparation for the floor pouring I levelled out the gravel using mason line and steel pins on the corners. It was only roughed in and packed after the form was poured. I did strips 2 feet wide as I levelled the gravel. I only had 3 wheel barrow loads too much to remove. It will be packed again, but only at the back wall for 4 feet, the rest is packed good already. There will be a 2" slope from back to front. It will be 4" reinforced concrete which is poured out over the door holes in the wall.

SwampDonkey

The floor was poured last Wednesday and today we began wiring the garage. The overhead door will be installed August 6, since the factory is on vacation the last 2 weeks of July.

Today I sanded the stairway and hand rails for a second coating of varnish. Applied that and it dried really fast today. I will do it one more time and maybe another after that. :)

aigheadish

What a lovely build, thanks for sharing, though it makes me a little embarrassed to share my workshop build that has taken months to not look nearly as nice as your house! Congratulations! It looks like you made wise choices all around.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

Thanks aigheadish. I don't get email notices, so sometimes I miss replies.

SwampDonkey

woodroe

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

aigheadish

Not big enough.

Sorry, I'm kidding, it had to be said. Looks like it should be a nice space. 

I'm currently in the very early thoughts of building one of those work benches, with flip-over tools, to create some space in my shop, which is not big enough.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, lots big for me though. I'm not going to be doing that much.  ffcheesy  I worked in one for years about 1/3 the size.  Got room there for a couple cord of firewood along one wall. ffsmiley

SwampDonkey

Day 2

Ready for the metal roofing.

The windows are in.

Thank You Sponsors!