iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a simple table top

Started by Ianab, September 19, 2006, 12:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Just machined up a little table top for a friends housebus.
Happend to have a piece of 26x2 Monterey cypress laying about  ;D

With a bit of alcohol wiped on to show the colour  :)

Think it will come up OK, I'm leaving the final sanding and varnishing to him, but I will try and get pictures of it finished.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

UNCLEBUCK

I couldnt get a big board like that if I tried !  That is just neat !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

CHARLIE

Now that's a wide board! But mor'nat! It's CLEAR!!!!!  Nice piece of wood and a good job planing and smoothing it down. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

logwalker

How wide is that board? It looks wider than 26". LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

getoverit

man oh man, thats some beautiful wood !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Paschale

Did you hand plane it, or do you have a monster planer?  You've probably told us, but I can't remember right now.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Bothy_Loon

Tidy work hope it comes up well. I have been asked to take some pics of some kitchen doors that a friend made from some Oak i gave him three years ago. He had it drying in his kitchen for over two years & said that one of the joints still moved by .5mm! Hope that wide board does not get any ideas of moving once the job is finished
Bothy Loon

sandmar

Must be a real good friend,cause that is gorgeous.It's just like Christmas when you pull one of those off the mill.

Sandmar

Ianab

Nah.. I'm not good enough to hand plane a board like that  :D
I mount my big router on the mill frame and use that to machine it flat, then a few minutes with the belt sander has it looking good.
I expect the top will move a bit seasonally and will advise the new owner about how to mount it to allow that. The Mac is a very stable wood, but a piece that bit will move a bit.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

scsmith42

Ian, that is sweet!  Do you add any type of bracing, etc to the bottom side to help keep it from warping?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ianab

Quote from: scsmith42 on September 19, 2006, 04:07:25 PM
Ian, that is sweet!  Do you add any type of bracing, etc to the bottom side to help keep it from warping?

Scott

No, it shouldn't need it. It pretty stable wood, but if it did want to move a little it's probably better to just let it do it rather than trying to clamp it down and having all those cross grain movement issues.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!