iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatisit -Whatfor

Started by Gary_C, July 02, 2006, 09:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

What is this?

It is something probably used only by Yankees but you southern guys can guess anyway.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thurlow

Looks like a trace chain, but the upper end is different from any I've seen.............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Tom

....a spare recoil starter cord for a D3 cat?

pasbuild

that there is for yer tire chains
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Gary_C

This is probably too hard. A clue would be they work best if used in pairs.

DanG

I know what it is, but I cheated so I ain't gonna tell. :D :D ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

It is a real piece of "Yankee Ingenuity" though I do not know who came up with the idea.  :D

The answer lies in "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line."    ???   

That goes two ways as DanG must have figgured out, smart guy as he is!   ;D ;D

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Timburr

Quote"the shortest distance between two points is a straight line."

That's the most DanGest cryptic clue I've ever encountered.....so very appropriate ;D

I know what it is, but I'll keep you all in suspense. It's more fun!! :D

We use ours in conjunction with about 20' of nylon rope. Ours have slightly different ends, but the principle is still the same.
Sense is not common

DanG

I ain't all that smart, Gary_C.  Us Southern folks have been hookin' things together with a piece of chain for years. ;D :D :D

Is that the original use for it, or did you just adapt an existing item for a current need?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

DanG

That is made specifically for that use. I have only used it once. Just happened to take it out and oiled it as it was getting rusty.   ::)

Texas Ranger

Old shaggy dog joke where the punch line is:  The shortest distance between two pints is a straight lion.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DoubleD

Is that a chain to keep cows in the barn ??? ???
Wannabe a sawmiller

Gary_C

One of the references to a straight line was to my photo gallery where I believe DanG found this picture I had already uploaded. Sure can't slip anything past him, but I am not sure he knows exactly how it works.    ???

This picture shows how it is installed, but not for what. It will NOT work on tire chains, D3 Cats, nor cows.  :D

DanG

Ya caught me, Gary. :D :D :D  I was uploading a pic of my own when I saw your's on the new pics page. ;D  Just looking at that thumbnail, it appeared to be used in installing those tracks, but I guess not.

I've seen some dozer guys chain a small log to their tracks to get out of a bog hole.  Is that what you use that for?

Gary_C

It is used to install the tracks.

You drive on the tracks and then pull the end over the top with a chain or rope. With both ends of the tracks close together at one wheel (near the ground) you thread both tools down thru a link and straight across the tire (shortest distance between two points) and up thru a link on the other end of the track. You put the pin on the end of the tool thru the chain to hold it tight. Then when you back the machine up, or drive ahead, the chain tool will keep the ends together and when the joint gets to the straight part between the tires, the tool tightens the track and you can easily install the connecting links without tugging, pulling, finger pinching, and saying a lot of bad words.      :'(
Plus with the chain under the tracks on both sides, it supports the weight of the tracks, and believe me each link in those tracks is heavy.   ;D

I have installed the tracks without those chain tools and it can take hours of work, chains, ropes, comealongs, pry bars, and three strong men.  :( :(

A very simple tool that works great.   8)

sawguy21

Thanks for the explanation. I have wondered how that was done.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pasbuild

Dats good to know, I have put my tracks on a gazzilion times using a ratchet strap, drift pin and an assortment of cuss words.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

DanG

Hmmm.  Seems I was right the first time.  Remember, I voted for it before I voted against it. ;D :D

Gary_C

You are correct Senator DanG, except that you cheated.   :o

Oh well, I guess that is what politicians are supposed to do.  :D :D

You are the winner.  8)

Ed_K

DanG, took a pair of 12' RR ties to walk the 850 JD out of a stock pond the hired help tried to cross  ;D.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!