iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two saws down from hot weather?

Started by timeout, August 08, 2011, 06:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timeout

Husky 162SE died one 100 degree Saturday, and my 346xp died the next 100 degree weekend.Both wouldn't start, even after cool down.Both had spark and fuel. Dropped 346xp off at shop, and checked out old 162 on my own.Bought a compression tester. Saw had 70psi compression. I checked my 266SE and that had 185 psi. I guess the 162 was a little low.
My question is,what internal damage can I expect from a saw getting hot? Has anyone else experienced saw malfunction caused by hot weather?
"Another day closer to heaven."

JohnG28

Im just guessing but you may very well have cooked your piston and cylinder.  Probably expect scoring on one or both.  If your saws were running a little lean and then run hard in that kind of heat it wouldn't take much to kill them.  With 70 psi compression something is surely amiss inside. :(
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ladylake

Most likely just set too lean but you could  have got a bad batch of gas.  More fuel keeps them running cooler, also better torque.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

clww

100 degrees in Maine? :o Is that a record high?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

timeout

Don't know if it was a record, but it was warm. A small group of us "maineacs" got together and put a hurt on a ladies 12 cord treelength wood pile.We just happened to pick the 2 warmest days of the year to do it.
An update on saws. Both have low compression. Still not sure what caused malfunctions, but leaning toward combination of bad gas mix and hot weather. Saws had been working fine up to this point. I was using someone elses gas mix for part of the day. That might have been the mistake with the 162SE, but I lost the 346xp, later, on my own gas. After some research I realize the 346xp is the choked up catalytic muffler,epa loving version, with the green gas cap. Probably not epa compliant to run in such warm conditions. Still torn on what to do with it.Might cost as much to fix as a new one.
"Another day closer to heaven."

shelbycharger400

well if you do rebuild it, just port it a little, and toss the epa cat converter. put a stainless screen or such in the muffler.   

stump farmer

Had a few saws develop air leaks after running in extremely hot 100+ weather. Takes a while though and wasn't immediate like your situation. If the saw seems to be very responsive to the throttle and especailly if it revs even slightly higher than normal that's an indication that something has changed with the air/fuel mix. Some saw manuals recommend a saw be idled a few minutes after a run before being shut off to cool off the power head. Hard to do when you're used to running a saw until it's out of fuel.

Al_Smith

You cook the cylinders from running too lean .

stump farmer

Took a number of saws (Stihl 044s) into a repair shop a while back that had been used for fire suppression. Shop said that the rubber pieces had broken down from heat fatigue and had slowly leaked air and caused a lean condition. The hotter the conditions the more pronounced a leak in the rubber. Granted these saws had been used to cut burning logs and brush so had been abused but the end result is the same, just accelerated.

I've also noticed that if a saw has been sitting a while with old gas, many times it seems to run lean when started (using new gas). I think the carburetor jets are getting gummed up from the old gas and are restricting fuel flow. The difference can be subtle and hard to notice if you're not paying attention. 

sharkey

Ive never been a believer of 50:1 fuel mix for the saws.  I use 32:1.  I wonder if the small amount of extra oil would have helped prevent these heat losses?  If your able to do the work yourself, take a look at the cylinder and piston kits that Baileys offers.  These aftermarket kits usually cost under $140 and include the piston, rings and cylinder.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!