iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw blade set question...

Started by Kbeitz, November 29, 2015, 04:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

Setting at .023 would only be about 1/2 the thickness of your blade.  The more set you use, the more power it will take to make the cut.  Most new blades I get have a set between .015 and .019.  If you increase the set by .05 on a .045 blade, you increase the material removed by more than 20%.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on November 30, 2015, 07:03:52 PM
Setting at .023 would only be about 1/2 the thickness of your blade.  The more set you use, the more power it will take to make the cut.  Most new blades I get have a set between .015 and .019.  If you increase the set by .05 on a .045 blade, you increase the material removed by more than 20%.

Thanks.
Very good info...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

So I guess the kerf would be .091 normal and my kerf would be as little as .069 setting at .012.
Big difference.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

yukon cornelius

Very good info here. My last sharpening I had put more set in than it originally had and I slowed my feedrate cosiderably. I also needed to run higher rpms to get the same smooth cut as before. I noticed the lower rpm gave a rougher cut similar to your picture
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Kbeitz

Well I was going to buy new blades...
I put in a request quote twice to Kasco but I'm not getting any replys back.
So next to Kasco what the next best blade at a good price ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den-Den

I have been running these Lennox blades, happy with them possibly because they are good, possibly because I don't know any better.
http://www.spectrumsupply.com/woodmasterc.aspx
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

gww

K
I never tried any other blade but have searched the net and cooks come up cheapest when buying 10 or more after adding shipping.  I buy their cheepest offerring.
gww

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 05, 2015, 08:13:18 AM

I put in a request quote twice to Kasco but I'm not getting any replys back.

You can call Kasco directly.  Or feel free to send me a PM or get in touch with me directly by phone at the number listed below in my signature.

More than glad to help you out.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

sawwood

On the subject of set I have a question about it. Do your blades have two teeth set at say 20 degs and the
third on is straight ? If so I think I set our blades with all teeth at 24 degs and if setting less will help cut
better I an going to do that. I also hit the back stop Saturday and will no need to sharpen that blade and
have serval more to do. Just wanted to know so when I do I get it right.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

shampjm1

Here's another one, I have a "50" sharpener setter from woodmizer. I can't seem to set the blades over .010. I'd like to try setting at .020 but the set screws get hung up on the teeth when I try to advance the blade. Any suggestions/remarks?
Jim, millwright, industrial maintenance mechanic. Just got LT40HD. Part time sawyer for now.

Kbeitz

I dont think I will set my blades over .012 again.
I think every mill is different from what I read.
.012 matches my HP and speed.
I ordered two new blades to try out. One 4 deg. and one 7 deg. and I'm going to check the set
before I use them. If they cut great then I will rethink.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!