iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fabtek 4-roller

Started by deastman, January 22, 2012, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Just purchased my first processor with a Fabtek 4-roller, and I have no previous experience operating any type of processor, just feller bunchers with hot saws.  It's currently in my shop having  some repairs done before I start cutting with it. How small of a diameter tree will the feed wheels run thru it or what diameter top will it delimb down too? Some of the points on the feed wheels have been rounded over, do they all need to be to a sharp point for proper grip on the tree or will the dull points cause the wheels to slip? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as usual I'm sure I'm in for quite an education when i get started. Thanks
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

snowstorm

my keto will feed it down to 2". i would think the spikes would need a good point on them in frozen wood. tell a little more about what you bought. what part of the world are you in?

deastman

it's mounted on a 130 Samsung carrier and i'm located in Exeter, Maine. Any suggestions on a brand and size of forwarder that would work well with this machine? I'm currently looking at a 546 Valmet
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

snowstorm

i have a 646 its been very good. 646 has a cummins 546 ford thats fine they are a good engine. they used load sensing pressure compensated valves with an open center gear pump. kinda odd but works well. you will have trouble with the shuttle valves. the orings go missing. a new valve is $65 so no big deal only takes a few min. to change. you need the tech manul and parts book. dont expect the valmet dealer to stock many parts but they can get anything you mite need in a couple days. where is the 546 dover? i would like another bucket for mine so if you find one parted out let know. any questions ask

Maine372

ive never operated one but ive been on jobs where they were working. i saw a load of fir headed for madison that was right down to where the tops would break coming through the wheels. somwhere around 2 inches i think. looked like the operator was just running the tree through until it broke rather than topping it off. should have no problem running things down to a 'merchantable' diameter of 3 or 4 inches.

deastman

Thanks for the info, and snowstorm, the 546 I'm looking at is in Newburgh, if i hear of one parted out i'll let you know, thanks again

snowstorm

Quote from: deastman on January 24, 2012, 06:46:04 PM
Thanks for the info, and snowstorm, the 546 I'm looking at is in Newburgh, if i hear of one parted out i'll let you know, thanks again
so what did you think of the fowarder? have you tried that fabtec yet?

logloper

What grinder are you guys useing? I would like one that will grind other sizes than just 3/4. Sugestions ?

snowstorm

Quote from: logloper on January 28, 2012, 10:53:24 AM
What grinder are you guys useing? I would like one that will grind other sizes than just 3/4. Sugestions ?
511 ax i run 404 chain

logloper

The Fabtek uses 3/4 pitch, but our firewood processor uses 404  I want a grinder that will sharpen both. ( I am aware the wheels will probably be different)

deastman

snowstorm, the Valmet i looked at was pretty rough and i haven't decided on a forwarder yet, the fabtek is still in the shop so i havent had a chance to try it yet, should be ready to put it to work this week, now that the mills are all full

snowstorm

the olivers stores had a 646 came from p&c a little ruff and a bit pricy. last time i was there they had taken it to farmington. is that your cat limber in henrys? dosent seem to be much for ctl equipment around here. there a fairly cheap rottne on machinery trader in ny 25k. lots in the lake states and nb. there was one around dover and one in houlton that were for sale for a long time dont know if they sold

deastman

yes that's my limber in uncle henrys, and there are lots of forwarders in the lake states, do you know of any websites other than machinery trader to find forwarders in NB? with winter now so short i may try to rent a used forwarder from milton cat if the price isnt rediculous

LE-1

Kijiji is kind of like your Uncle Henry's up here .

http://newbrunswick.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-W0QQCatIdZ301

If you come up to the Moncton show , all the big & small dealers are there from the Maritimes and some from Quebec .
http://www.masterpromotions.ca/Previous-Events/atlantic-heavy-equipment-show-2012/exhibitor-list/

Be prepared to speak french , most loggers are L'Acadienne .

snowstorm

i looked on kijiji last nite. a few timberjacks 4 wheel machines also found a 6 wheel treefarmer. i prefer a 6 wheel

LE-1

What you looking for snowstorm ?

snowstorm

the op is looking for a fowarder

LE-1

Where in Maine you logging Snowstorm ?

snowstorm

LE-1

Gotcha . I'm home this week then back out to Alberta for 3 weeks .Then to Labrador on a transmission line cut . The Boss got us evrywhere this year again .

snowstorm

i was in alberta for a week last summer. kinda nice out there. stayed in deads mans flats not far from bamf

snowstorm

Quote from: LE-1 on February 06, 2012, 05:35:06 PM
Gotcha . I'm home this week then back out to Alberta for 3 weeks .Then to Labrador on a transmission line cut . The Boss got us evrywhere this year again .
who is the boss? he dosent pour concrete in nh also dose he?

LE-1

I havent been to Banff , we are way up north , our base is in Whitecourt . Then we are all over the place from there .

LE-1

Quote from: snowstorm on February 06, 2012, 05:40:15 PM
Quote from: LE-1 on February 06, 2012, 05:35:06 PM
who is the boss? he dosent pour concrete in nh also dose he?

Wow , how did you know that ? You know Tom ?

snowstorm

well a year ago he said he was taking me out to lunch. still hasent happened and i am getting hugry

Thank You Sponsors!