iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Home For My Wood-Mizer LT15

Started by WDH, September 29, 2011, 08:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

This Fall is the 10th anniversary for me and my LT15.  This mill has been my loyal servant, but has had to live outside for much of our partnership.  It is high time to reward the mill for such dedicated and faithful service in the form of a brand new home!

The new sawmill shed is 25' x 60' and 10' high on the sides.  It is store-bought versus homemade because I only have two hands, two feet, and no help.  I guess I could have held a sawmill-shed-raising-party, but this will have to do. 

Now, to figure out the material flow to best locate the mill to allow for efficient log and lumber handling.  I have learned a lot already about this from Customsawyer, and I just might have to hire him as a material handling consultant  ;).

Anyway, it is about time.  A man has to have what a man has to have  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Nice home for mill. It sure will breath easy in there. bg

zopi

Logs in one end, lumber out the other...slabs out the middle...lol

That is a nice shed....my mill shed just became the firewood splitting mecca of our place...half of it anyway...will still park the mill there for the nonce....until I build something better anyway...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Mooseherder

Awesome shed!   I need one just like it. ;)

Magicman

Wow, what a very nice saw shed.  Which way is your prevailing wind?  Place the sawmill so that it will be in your back.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Knute

Very nice. It will keep everything nice and dry as long as long as the wind doesn't blow too hard.

WDH

Those trees that Customsawyer planted for me are growing up fast and will help from a wind perspective.

Lynn,

The prevailing wind is northwest which is coming in from looking at the shed from the perspective of the pic at about 10:00 on an imaginary clock face.  The long axis of the shed is due North.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I want one...I want one. :)

Pardon me being noisy but where ya get it and do they deliver to Arkansas?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

You just don't want sawdust and engine fumes in your face.  Of course if it will be wired, you can put a big old 48" fan behind you.   ;D  Bibby does.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: Larry on September 29, 2011, 08:42:17 PM
Pardon me being noisy but where ya get it and do they deliver to Arkansas?

http://www.tysonsteel.com/ 

Larry,

The plant is located near Tifton, GA.  Check out the website, maybe they can deliver.  They design the building to your dimensions and deliver it to your site.  The six concrete piers cost $600 ($100 each) for labor and concrete (a little over 3 yards).  Labor to erect the building was $1500 by a local guy that puts up steel buildings for a living.  I thought that was a good value given that I could not do it myself anyway.  This is the same guy that installed the metal roof on my house.

There are six steel girders set on concrete piers that are 2 feet in diameter and 4 feet deep, so the building is stout.  It is 25' between the steel girders in any direction, from end to end, and from along the side.  I thought that the 10' side height might be a little low, but it looks cavernous  :).

Locating the mill on the south end will be perfect from a wind, sawdust, exhaust fume standpoint, and yes, power is available for a big fan.  Also, locating on the south end protects from the summer sun but it is very good for the winter sun when you want the sun to be shining.

Texas Ranger

Not only that, it is set in Georgia clay.  Indestructible.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Yes, that is the proverbial Georgia Red Clay.  They broke the tip off of the 2 foot diameter auger because the ground was so hard.  The could only dig down 2 feet, then had to fill the holes with water and wait half a day to finish because it is dog-bone dry, withered, baked, and droughty.

zopi

Yeah...but it sure isn't gonna move... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jueston

maybe you should have seriously considered the FF shed raising.... i might have come, its only an 18 hour drive, i know, i've made it a few times....  :D

WDH

DanG jueston!  I wish that I had know that.  We could have even boiled some peanuts  ;D.

pigman

I don't think the shed is located where the mill has been setting. If it is, a lot of your hardwood trees have died and been removed.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

Bob,

No, not at all.  This site is about 1/2 mile from my house through the woods and pines to the Old Home Place.  The bad thing is that it is a long way from the shop where I have all my tools and toys.  The good thing is that it is 1/2 mile away through the woods allowing me to become scarce from a spousal standpoint.  In fact, that is a very good thing now that I think about it  :D.

Magicman

Being practical always outweighs logic.  :D :D

slider

nice shed dwh.next july your going to say ,why didn't i build this 10 years ago.are you going to have electricity ? we have a big fan in the summer.makes a big difference.good move.   al
al glenn

thecfarm

Now we need pictures of your mill in there.   ;D    Looks good. I need to build something for mine. Really need a place to store a few boards and 2 bys. Always need a piece of lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Nice shed. How much snow load is it rated for?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

zopi

Snow load? Down there? Now that's funny!
'Nader load maybe...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Corley5

Nice!! 8) 8) 8)  I was wondering about snow load too  ;) ;D :D :D :D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dodgy Loner

At last you have a fine home for your LT-15! It's sawed a lot of lumber without a roof over its head. Your little mill earned this reward :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tcsmpsi

Now....if you can just keep from piling it full of lumber... ;)

Congratulations!
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!