iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with comparison of Wood-Mizer to TimberKing

Started by gjgauthier, February 08, 2012, 10:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjgauthier

I'm preparing to purchase my first band mill that I plan to use for myself and some commercial work. I live in northeast Wisconsin and expect to cut primarily northern hardwood. I've narrowed my search down to WM LT40/50 or TK 2000/2200. I've talked with both manufacturers. They each have compelling stories and many nice but different features. I'm in the process of meeting with operators of each to further qualify my decision.

1. I'm hoping someone here has had operating experience with both brands and can objectively help me discern the relevant and meaningful differences between the two. I'd appreciate the opportunity to call and have a conversation.

2. Is there any other brand that I should give serious consideration to that I may have passed on.

Thanks in advance for your help. This is a great website and forum.
Timberking 2000, Logrite fetching arch. Woodmax chipper, Husqvarna 445, Stihl 041, Ford 335 tractor

trapper

Have you been to woodmizer wi in mosinee?  you can look at the mills there.  that is not too far from you.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

Welcome gjgauthier, to the Forestry Forum.  Probably the chances of finding a sawyer with experience on both of those exact sawmills will be slim.  My recommendation is for you to either visit the factories, or to visit sawmill owners and actually putting your hands on both sawmills.  The only person that can make up your mind is yourself, and with the $$$ involved, I would not base it on opinions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

steve marek

I look at mills for 5 years before i got mine. I brought a wm Service and tech support is great steve at mosinee is great to work with help me alot when i frist started out. You can test drive one there  I have a LT40HD 28 hp work fine for me . I do custom sawing at customer site . I like the lt50 more power faster hyd. steve # at wm is 715-693=1929
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

dgdrls

gjgauthier welcome aboard,

I just purchased a new mill and considered many builders including those listed below,
in the end the one item that swayed me the most was how close to my home base
is the Dealer/Service center.  With a commercial venture, service close to home would be high on
the Plus side of the comparison column.

Best
DGDrls

xlogger

I've had both mills and both are good mills. You need to just see what you think will work for you the best. I'm thinking you need a LT50 to compare to the TK's.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum gjgauthier!

This is a great place to learn!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gjgauthier

Thanks for the great advice. The membership makes this site is a tremendous resource of information.

I'm currently making my calls and visits to owners and have spoken with the manufacturers. I'm disappointed with the WM dealer in Wisconsin. I emailed twice, called once and made a personal visit to meet him last fall. I explained that I wanted to meet a few WM owners to get experience and advice. He said he'd get me some names and I even left my business card. I've never heard from him since so I've pretty much given up on trying to get referral leads through him. I'm going to contact the factory direct to see if their service is any better. The TK salesman was very responsive and helpful.
Timberking 2000, Logrite fetching arch. Woodmax chipper, Husqvarna 445, Stihl 041, Ford 335 tractor

Magicman

I wouldn't judge a product by that WM dealer.  The Indy folks at WM will also be interested in knowing about that failure. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

And knowing if it even was a failure.  ::)

Airing it out with the head office would be best.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Silver_Eagle

My wife and I attended the woodmizer Jasper Texas dealer's show about 3 month's ago. Our experience was top rate, not only was the dealer outstanding and very personable, the woodmizer rep's that where present made us both feel like we where at home.

They had multiple machine's set up, ran the machine's, milled a few log's, milled lap siding etc. This is the only event I have attended but the Jasper Texas dealer for Woodmizer is very knowledgeable and very friendly.

We have not attended a Timber King event so can not comment but I'm sure they are very good as well.

Just wanted to share our experience.     

JFarmer

I have owned a timberking and 3 wood-mizers. The only problem I had with the timberking was the worm gears that lifted the head up and down. They seem to wear out quickly, it could have been my electric motor was too heavy, I dont know though. I would have liked it better if it would have been fully hydraulic. I really like the woodmizers design and performance. If you are willing to spend the money, I would really consider buying the 50.
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JFarmer on February 09, 2012, 08:01:42 PM
I have owned a timberking and 3 wood-mizers.

JFARMER....You're 29 years old and have been through 4 mills already? HOLY SAW DUST! :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mikey H

Hi gjgauthier,

Hey this is Mike with Wood-Mizer in Indy. I apologize for your experience with trying to contact us.  :-[  Just wanted you to know that the day after you posted about our dealer in WI, Steve Stanke tried to register with the Forestry Forum so he could contact you. Looks like he didn't get it done correctly because he hasn't received a login yet.  We'll try again!

Steve is at a show in Milwaukee right now but would be glad to talk to you anytime. If you will e-mail me at mhanlon@woodmizer.com I will send you Steve's cell phone #.   Also, if you live near Milwaukee and want to meet Steve, he is at the Woodworking Show at the Wisconsin Expo Ctr @ Fair Park - Hall C at 8200 W Greenfield in Milwaukee. 

Sorry about your experience so far.  We will work to regain your trust. 

Mike   :)
Mike Hanlon
I work for Wood-Mizer in the Sales Department.  I am the Account Manager for 8 of our 15 US locations and I oversee the Christian Missions equipment discounts and donations.
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

Handy Andy

Cooks has a big commercial bandmills too, and they are also sponsors of this forum. Cook mills are very durable, simple, and good running.  Check with them too.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

taylorsmissbeehaven

When I bought my mill (a much smaller unit and pricetag) I wanted to touch one. Woodmizer sent me three names in my area, one owner was deceased and the other two never returned my calls. I bought my mill from them anyhow and they have been great to work with. I have no experience with TK, but I can tell you WM has been great to work with and they can count on me as a loyal customer. Just my two cents, best of luck
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

GAB

When I was looking at buying a sawmill I visited a few folks, went to a sawdust convention held at I believe OSU EXT in Piketon, Ohio (It was on a wednesday, and put on by a fellow named Ron), went to the Paul Bunyon show at Hocking College three times and went to WM Indy saturday shows twice and went to the WM 20th anniversary party and attended as many seminars as I could at the party.  BTW WM knows how to put a party on.
At the Paul Bunyon shows there were many mills.  The thing I disliked about the TK was the 2 motors system.  One noise maker is enough.  The only Cook saw I saw had a high wire supporting a cable and I was not interested in buying a clothes line. 
I purchased an LT40HDD34 and the WM personnel in Indy and at the shows I have attended have been great.  Went to one show shortly after purchasing with a multipage questionaire.  One WM rep spent over an hour with me answering my questions.  One question they had to fire up a mill and do what I suggested to see what I was talking about to be able to answer my question.

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Okrafarmer

From all I've seen, all three have a good product and good support. I'm using a Turner Mill, which is cheaper and lighter weight, very basic, probably not what you are looking for, but for the record their on-phone support is very good and the mill is so simple and componentized that any half-brained mechanic can fix it.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

steve marek

Give me a call I will glad talk to you or show you my mill I live about 2 hours south of you my # is 1-920-360-3207
                                      steve :)
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

ladylake

One thing I like about my B20 is the 2 motor hydraulic vs electric over hyd, no trouble with the hydraulic system in over 8000 hours.  I did put a new 6 hp motor on at 5000 hours for $200   . The TK 2000 does not have 2 motors or any electric over hydraulic and has a chain turner.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!