iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany

Started by nativewolf, April 11, 2018, 05:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanoak

Not sure but it could be a different planting than I am thinking about; sounds too young for my memory. You need 10 more years to get something stable in my experience. I just cut a cull 1' and thought it was crap compared to some of the toon which has been unstable under 2' but much superior in color and stability.
Mike - Diggers make road for access and fence primaraly and also . Feral hogs are a huge problem here, you wouldnt believe the damage to crop they cause without talking about the other problems. Best thing is to eat them but we have too much area to take care of that way. I wish I had access to harvester/processors; I can do things with my excavator thumb that might make your eyes pop. It has to do it all; just got a fecon for the larger one to do some pruning.
Longtime - Awesome to see the Eucies in their native home. My house is partly robusta. Dad got it off the mill and set it up green. There is a huge amount on the island; one of the most commonly planted species for windbreaks and for timber. Many are over-mature. Beautiful wood, moves like !^%$. I grow E. microcorys, E. pellita, E deglupta, and L. confertum. Microcorys is a winner in my book. Our pellita came from over-selected plantation seeds and grows too fast for its own good. Beautiful wood; Had a few small pieces explode on the bandsaw. If you ever find seeds of some winners you harvest I would be quite interested.
Teakwood - we grow some teak, however it does not grow above 1000' elevation (58-90F) well in our climate. I think our trees are growing quite a bit slower than yours; subtropical and all; seed source has a huge impact on color and form in my experience. Mahogany relatives mostly winners for us as, african species are a mixed bag, well as a couple of eucalyptus. 
Aloha,
Kanoa

teakwood

Quote from: nativewolf on April 23, 2018, 09:23:37 PMThis plantation is only 9-12 years old I think.  Average at .12 cubic meters per tree but boy, that is small wood

That's pretty good for such young mahogany.  My teak thinning this year was 0.165 m3/tree but it's teak, it grows alot faster than mahogany. Remember that's just for the thinned trees, the stand should be around 0.3m3
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

I spooked a huge boar on a cliffside mountainbike trail about 6 miles into the jungle by myself, maybe 2000 or 01.  I dont think id have been any more scared if it was a grizzly. 

Does big island have the mongoose and rat problems of oahu?  What about snakes?
Praise The Lord

kanoak

That will get you going, bet the boar was as scared as you though. I spent a few years on Oahu about the same time. Left part of my heart over there in the mountains. 
Ya, we have rats and mongoose; just lost a sitting hen and full clutch + a bunch of chicks. They dont normally bother full sized chickens. I think they do help keep snakes out though, none established so far as I know.

Aloha,
Kanoa

mike_belben

It went up the side of the hill flinging red dirt like a motocross roost.  Was on the trail from pali hwy to waimanalo.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

More talks today this week.  Kanoak: are there folks on the island that actually know how to mark a selective thinning?  If we're going to go for diameter and form than we need nice clean trees, right distance, easily felled, etc.  They've got a 3 person farm team that they would have do the thinning.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Hopefully hes doing okay.  Theyve got a volcano doing a lot of damage over there right now
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!