iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw boots

Started by gman98, May 11, 2016, 09:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I'm looking to get a pair of chainsaw protection boots for college this fall.  I'm looking to get the rubber boot style.  I'm deciding between the Vikings and the Husqvarnas.  I was wondering if some of you guys use either of these boots and what you would reccomend?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

BargeMonkey

I've got both, 1 in regular sole and 1 with caulks. The soles on the husky boots are still pretty slippery, and for some reason when the husky boots are extremely cold it takes nothing to puncture them. The viking boots fit a little better, I wear size 13 but have a narrow foot, need 2 pairs of heavy socks for the husky to fit right if your not putting liners in them. Unless your really heart set on on a pair of boots I would buy the boot covers. They are heavy, and aren't designed to wear if your running a machine, I have to change them if I go run loader or timbco because they kill your legs in a cab.

thecfarm

I have the Vikings. Never seen or wore the huskys ones.
I bought mine from ben meadows. I looked at other places but they had the vinyl on the top and mine started to come apart from the rubber. These have a diffeant style.

http://www.benmeadows.com/viking-timberwolf-professional-chain-saw-boots_37205752/?cid=BMPL10&searchterm=219751-12&selectedsku=219751-12
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine372

where are you going for school?

gman98

Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Ed_K

Reg & calk Vikings good boots, calks not so much if your on and off the machines. When the vinyl wears out cut it off and use them for rubbers around yrd.
Ed K

thecfarm

Ed_K,I wear mine all the time,if I am outside. Garden and all. I use to kick rocks to see if they would move. Would tell me if  needed the crow bar or the tractor. I kept doing it and I split the toe on them. Not doing that to this pair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

I kicked mud off climbing on the skidder one day and broke a toe nail off  :o :'( .
Ed K

thecfarm

Wow!! I'm not kicking that hard. Just many,many times. A costly lesson.

gman98

What model of Vikings are you guys using?

thecfarm

Reply #3 has a link to the pair I have now. I think I will like them better than the first pair I bought at Labonville with the vinyl tops. I think the vinyl started to rip the 2nd year. Labonville only had the vinly tops when I bought the pair from ben meadows.

thumper

I have two pair of the lace up leather tops. one caulk sole and the other lug.. Viking vw78 and vw79. both are a lot more comfortable to walk and run machine.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Straightgrain

Quote from: thecfarm on May 12, 2016, 07:55:17 AM
I have the Vikings. Never seen or wore the huskys ones.
I bought mine from ben meadows. I looked at other places but they had the vinyl on the top and mine started to come apart from the rubber. These have a diffeant style.

http://www.benmeadows.com/viking-timberwolf-professional-chain-saw-boots_37205752/?cid=BMPL10&searchterm=219751-12&selectedsku=219751-12

Tangent: How does a person keep their socks up; wearing pull-on boots?  :)
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

John Mc

Quote from: Straightgrain on May 22, 2016, 09:05:48 AM
Tangent: How does a person keep their socks up; wearing pull-on boots?  :)

I never have been able to figure that out. Every type of sock I've tried with my rubber chainsaw boots ends up sliding down -- and those rubber boots are not easy on your shins.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

AlexHart

Apologies for weaseling into this thread but it seems like a good spot to get my question in.    I'm interested in a pair of Haix chainsaw boots (the "orange protector" or whatever they are called) and I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried them and what you think of them and also I'm wondering if they can be worn comfortably in non winter months or if they are insulated.    I can't seem to tell for sure from the description. 

For the topic on hand I'd personally go with the Viking boots.

https://youtu.be/y0g1e_0_RI4

thecfarm

Socks sliding down? Never had that problem. I've been wearing these for about 4 years,year around. I just came in the house and I had them on since noon today. I would of had them on earlier but got a late start. I wear GOOD socks. Most times I have 2 thick pair on. Yes,winter stockings.  ;)  Ever seen hikers? Most wear heavy socks. Or use to about 30 years ago. That's what got me going on 2 pair of heavy socks. I use to have alot of problems with my feet. Powder did no good. Even would change socks and powder after a few hours. My feet would almost be parboiled. I use to hike,and quite a few hikers told me about 2 pair. My stockings always stay up. Yes,good stocking cost alot,but I am on my feet all day and need my feet to feel good.I use to wear a steel toe rubber boot from walmart years ago.Seem like $25 a pair. Wore them with 2 pair of heavy socks and even with them cheap boots,my stocking stayed up. Maybe buy better socks will do it for ya.

jd540b

Have had both.  Will not wear another pair of pull on rubber boots if you paid me.  Just my opinion but for me my feet swim in them, they are uncomfortable, heavy, cumbersome.  My feet sweat so badly in them the are pointless.  Gave last pair away.  I wear leather year round. 

killamplanes

I wear leather yr around with steel tow. Got 3 pair so every day theres dry ones. Costly but works great for me. When the seems start to leak toss them get another pair in rotation. And my newest pair I were for good shoes. Slowly get broke in that way. I have cattle and absolutly refuse to were rubber boots even in cattle lots. Let alone timber. Just me. Sometimes wish I had metal laces
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

John Mc

I've hear from several sources that if you wear leather boots every day, they will last more than twice as long if you have two pairs and alternate them each day. Giving them a chance to  dry out makes a big difference in their life. Of course, this was assuming that the boots are not dying from being crushed or shredded or hit by a chainsaw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

killamplanes

I agree my boots dont last to long but im one of those horses u can lead to water but cant make drink.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!