iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

information on grading

Started by fjkid, December 04, 2005, 07:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjkid

Good day to All,

Does anyone have any ideas of any literature pertaining to the grading of posts and beams?  I read the subject on grading in MA and about the big cheese timber inspector having to ok everything and want to prepare myself with a bit of knowledge when I go to make my timbers.  I asked Santa for about 10 books on post and beam.  Im sure that they will probably have some info on this subject but if theres anything more informative out there I want to ask Santa for that too.  Thanks all.  fjkid

Don P

Hi fjkid,
Hopefully this link will take you to NeLma's page on graderules;
http://nelma.org/udp.php?id=61

Jim_Rogers

Being in CO you may have to get the rules for the lumberman's association that operates in your area.
I'd assume the Western wood producers association, but maybe someone else will say whether or not if this is correct.
I'm sure they have a website and I don't currently have the link, but I'm sure you can find it easily.
Then get a rule book, shouldn't be more than $10 or so.
Read it and learn the "grade 2" rules. As most structures will require grade 2 or better.
Good luck with your research.
And keep asking questions.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fjkid

Good Day to All,

I have posted that I live in CO but I neglected to say that I am soon moving back to my home state of Minnesota and am planning to start my project there.  Do you have any idea of the name of the standards association that regulates  Minnesota?  Thanks a bunch!  Have a fine day all.

srjones

The WWPA may be one of several association operating in your area.   I didn't learn as much about grading as I probably should have, but from my experience, a lot of the grade depended on knots--the size, direction, frequency, etc. 

To be safe (prepared), you might try the following.

1.  At a local lumber yard, look to see what most lumber is stamped with.  If you find a name, you can usually look them up on the web and find more info.
2.  Ask your local building inspector what they would be looking for.  Some local building departments are pickier than others.
3.  If you're going to be hiring a structural engineer, see if he/she is designing on #2 or better or #1 or better or all SS.  If you're learning the rules of grading, it would be good to know what constitutes what.
4.  If you're going to have them planed S4S somewhere, check to see if they offer grading services

Good luck!

-srj
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

sawmillwill

www.spib.org might be of some help.  Though you aren't inspecting structural southern yellow pine, you will find that the grading rules for them as well as structural fir, white pine etc are very similar and will give you a good guide as to what won't make it.

sawmillwill
WILL

Don P

Here's the whole list of accredited grading agencies;
http://www.alsc.org/contacts_untreatedlist_mod.htm

Although some may be closer or farther away, many have graders located throughout the country (and world), so it may be worth checking with several. I do know that Timber Products has graders scattered throughout the country, their services run approximately $65/hr including all windshield time, with a 4 hr minimum.

I just read your post on the poplar thread Will, I sense we have similar chafe marks  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!