iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building with green oak

Started by board, March 25, 2013, 06:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

board

Had a customer call today and he is building a cabin. He wants to do his ceiling in oak,about 750 sq. ft. He said he wants it to look rustic like barn board. I told him the oak is still green. My question is there anyway to install that with minimal gaps showing up when it shrinks.
paul

beenthere

Ship-lap it would be one way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MEMountainMan

Board and batten is the only thing I can think of. Pin/nail the center of the wide boards to allow for shrinkage.
LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

board

thanks for your quick response. He doesn't want a t&g look so maybe the board & batten would be the way to go.
paul

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

millwright

I've put up green ash for a ceilingand shiplaped it with no problems.

drobertson

My only question is did he ask your opinion? I have found that many folks want what they want.  Give it to them, why are we sawyers seemily responsible for everything our custormers want?  As soon as a mention is made we are somehow responsible for the out come,  just saying,  I have dealt with more of this than can be counted.  What do they want?  Give it to them,  with maximum output, minimal waste,  unless they ask,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WH_Conley

Maybe reverse board and batten. That would give the rustic look without being able to see whatever is above.
Bill

drobertson

Maybe lay felt paper first, then the boards,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

I'm using pine on the interior walls of our cabin, installing this as B&B. I'm going to use the same wood on the ceiling, but it will go up as shiplap.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

board

drobertson,no he really didn't ask for my opinion,maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and give him what he wants.
paul

drobertson

b, I am in the same boat brother,  we all want to give the best!  no ill intentions meant, there are many techniques, and many are done without all the details,  just saying, I have commented one too many times, only to find out that no idea on how to do a job is obvious.  Then the wheels are turning,  tricky stuff for getting return custormers,  I hope all goes well,  just mention the shrink factor, as you have, I suppose, and let things fall where they may,    david.    Building design is a totally different bussiness,     

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Board,

I,m with David, (drobertson) if someone doesn't ask me directly I just give them what they want.  I may ask if they need help or guidance, but if they show now interest, I leave them to it.  In this case, for my own education I would probably ask what his plans are, just because I love working with green wood and if somebody plans on a "green wood" project I get excited.

As far as for your own knowledge on it, ship lab is a very good way to do it, either Rabbited or oblique sawn ship lap (bevel edging.)  The other is a B&B method, but in the case of a ceiling it is called "dust boarding," and there are several methods, depending on the application.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

board

Thanks Jay . The only thing I told him was that it was fresh cut oak and he told me he was going to use it on his ceiling. Maybe I will tell him there might be some shrinkage and leave it at that. I wish they wouldn't tell me what they are going to use it for. :-X
paul

Magicman

I also try to stay out of the asking business which keeps me out of the advising business.  Asking and advising has a way of shifting the responsibility of the the lumber's reaction from the customer to me. 

Now, if the customer tells me that he intends to do something that I know to be foolish, then I have a responsibility to point out the error and suggest otherwise.  The final decision always rest upon the customer.

In actuality, this situation would very seldom come up and would never end with a dissatisfied customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

I can't help but think about how heavy that green oak will be putting it up overhead.   smiley_headscratch
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Jay C. White Cloud

I'm with you on this one Tree Feller.  If he doesn't plan on laying it on top of joist or tie beams, but nailing it over head, he is in for a work out and maybe not what he expected looks wise either.  In old barns and buildings, they would have set it on something, not tried to nail it over head.  Seldom do you see that application, except maybe in a flour mill or granary, then it would be t&G or double layered.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

rambo

I have found it is best to saw and keep my mouth shut. I usually just say " hey its whatever pleases your eyes". ;)

jd_odell

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2013, 09:16:53 PM
I also try to stay out of the asking business which keeps me out of the advising business.  Asking and advising has a way of shifting the responsibility of the the lumber's reaction from the customer to me. 

Now, if the customer tells me that he intends to do something that I know to be foolish, then I have a responsibility to point out the error and suggest otherwise.  The final decision always rest upon the customer.

In actuality, this situation would very seldom come up and would never end with a dissatisfied customer.

Amen Brother

rooster 58

I can't help but think what a "pain in the neck" it would be to  clean something like that ::)

orion388

Quote from: Magicman on March 25, 2013, 09:16:53 PM

that is some profound advice.. Thank you!
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

dboyt

Generally, I just provide them with the information about how much to expect the wood to shrink, and let them decide how to deal with it.  There is a lot of wrong information floating around (such as "It won't shrink if I varnish it".  I'm sure most of the people on the forum have had customers want boards milled 1" thick, expecting to have 1" thick, dry, surfaced lumber to work with when they're ready to use it.  There is a fine line between giving the customer too much advice and telling him what he needs to know.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

francismilker

I once had a guy come to me with some post oak to be sawn into 1x's of whatever width I could get for him to cover the side boards of his covered wagon. I asked him how long he intended to let it dry. He said he wasn't going to let it dry at all.

I ended up selling him more lumber a month later when the boards warped and popped the head off the screws he'd used. 

He then asked me how long I thought he ought to let it dry!!!!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

beenthere

Quotewhen the boards warped and popped the head off the screws he'd used

Really?   ???   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I have turned down many times my better judgment on what I believe someone is intending on doing with green lumber, I will ask if they have success with this or that type of practice, which almost always gets into the "well what would you suggest?"  Which leads to "expect movement, how much is unknown, but if it moves, will it take away from the expected results?"  Everyone has differing building techniques, some come from experience, some comes from advice with no experience, only asperations of what they believe to be reasonable.  Experience is the best teacher, if one has the apptitude to learn from it,   david

Thank You Sponsors!