iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new (old) log hauler

Started by warren46, October 07, 2015, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

I spotted an ad for a heavy duty trailer on craigslist priced as "make offer."  I went to see it and it seemed to fit my needs for a larger capacity trailer to haul logs and occasionally move my backhoe loader.  The trailer was home built with dual 7000 pound axles and 6 inch channel frame.  I offered $800 and the seller answered OK.

Lights and brakes didn't work and no title.  New plug on the existing wiring and the lights and brakes work.  Started process to get NC title for a home built trailer.

I intend to add a log loading arch.  It needs a new deck but I know a guy who can saw white oak planks.  It also needs better stakes.

I can add steel stakes in the stake pockets but I am concerned that if I make the stakes stronger I will just deform the the trailer frame if some loader operator bumps it with a 2000 pound log.  I am considering building removable bunks made with 3" pipe.  My only concern is will the bunks work with a log arch and pulling the logs onto the trailer with a winch mounted on the front of the trailer.

Looking for the wisdom of the Forum regarding the bunks.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

customdave

Looks like a fairly well built trailer for the money, as far as bunks I would go with steel stakes in the stake pockets because they have to be that tall for the loads you will haul behind a pickup. Good score...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

drobertson

No way to build it for that,, good find,  and there are lots of custom Dave's, but the original beat us to it ;D   david,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kelLOGg

Warren,

Your trailer looks like mine except my bed is level with the tires for side parbuckling. I don't rely on stakes alone to secure the load; I use straps and load binders for heavy loads.
Nice find. Is each axle 7000 lbs?

Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Nice find. Been shopping for one like that with no luck yet. I would add some 3" pipe across the decking to lay the logs on. Logs would slide better and if you use equipment to unload, you can get a chain under and around logs. That is my plans when I find one.

sealark37

There are two limitations in N.C. law that may snag you.  The weight rating of the tires must exceed the actual weight of the loaded trailer, and trailers that weigh over 2000 lb loaded must have brakes.  If the trailer has been titled before, you may need the previous owner's signature.   Regards, Clark

grassfed

It looks like a great deal. If you need fenders for inspection you should plan for them while you design your stake set up. I would consider connecting the existing stake pockets with square tubing and modifying and gusseting the stake pockets to hold the square tubing for stakes (that would reinforce the frame some). Maybe some  3 inch square tubing for both.
Mike

dboyt

My trailer is almost exactly like kelLOGg's.  I also parbuckle up the sides on a ramp.  I bought a mobile home frame trailer with the idea of a few modifications.  New deck, new 7,000# axles & wheels, brakes, pockets & stakes cost me about what the trailer cost, but worth it! This is a big, burley black oak cut down by a local tree service.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

rasman57

Use short sturdy stakes in a strong pocket to act as a chock or wedge but take Kelloggs advise on securing.  Best of both indexing and securing .  Nice find.  Good luck with it.

warren46

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 08, 2015, 06:29:10 AM
Warren,

Your trailer looks like mine except my bed is level with the tires for side parbuckling. I don't rely on stakes alone to secure the load; I use straps and load binders for heavy loads.
Nice find. Is each axle 7000 lbs?

Bob

Yes, both axles are 7000 pounds.  I figure I can haul 10,000 on it if I ever need to do so.  I will always strap no matter what stakes I use.
Warren E. Johnson

warren46

Quote from: sealark37 on October 08, 2015, 08:31:56 AM
There are two limitations in N.C. law that may snag you.  The weight rating of the tires must exceed the actual weight of the loaded trailer, and trailers that weigh over 2000 lb loaded must have brakes.  If the trailer has been titled before, you may need the previous owner's signature.   Regards, Clark

I think I am OK.  The tires are load range E tires with a rating of 3,200 pounds for a total of 12,800.  I should be good to haul up to 10,000.  The trailer has not been registered before (no numbers stamped on the tongue) and I have a bill of sale from the previous owner.  Brakes on both axles work well.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson

kelLOGg

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2015, 07:43:54 AM
Quote from: kelLOGg on October 08, 2015, 06:29:10 AMIs each axle 7000 lbs?
I am counting 8 lug nuts.   ;D

I knew 6=5400 but I didn't know 8=7000. Thanks,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

samandothers

Good for you!  Great find.  You probably are already titled for that weight but if not may want to think about changing what your truck is registered for.   We did not when we added our trailer and DOT decided we needed should be ticketed and fined when they weighed me with tractor loader back hoe on the trailer!

Magicman

Quote from: dboyt on October 08, 2015, 09:51:30 AMThis is a big, burley black oak cut down by a local tree service.
You surely do saw ugly logs.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

warren46

I finished building my loading arch and picked up a load of logs.  Worked as advertised and I am happy with the results.  On my previous trailer I just winched the logs up over a ramp onto the deck so I was effectively limited to a single layer of logs.  It is nice to be able to stack more logs on one load.

First load of logs.  I got nine logs on and could have loaded more.

Detail of my hinge.  I welded flanges into the 2X3 rectangular tube and the hinge stationary plate.  The pin is one inch round bar.

Another view of the hinge.

I built a platform for my winch that is two feet above the deck.  This gets the cable above many of the logs and provides a better lift angle for pulling logs and lifting the arch.
Warren E. Johnson

customdave

Lookin good, happy haulin

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

logs2lumber

very nice set up warren i like that trailer alot

Magicman

Very Nice.  How about a picture of the arch at "half mast"? 

samandothers

Great job Warren!  Glad you are close by! ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wick

Very nice. I have a trailor just like that except it has equipment ramps. Need to rig something similar to your's to load logs.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

br549

Hey where did you find that trailer? That's mine and has been missing!!! ;D. Just joking. I've always had that feeling someone would do that after. I just bought something. You got a good deal on it. I was quoted $850 for one Brake and one free wheel 8 lug axle set. We have a frame of 8x8 inch H beam 8 foot W x 20 foot Long and have been looking for a set of axles to go under it.   The log arch idea I've thought about putting one on the back of the dump truck. If made like your's to be removed when not using. Looks good.

Thank You Sponsors!