iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size to saw?

Started by bates, October 26, 2015, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bates

I'm trying to salvage Michigan Ash as fast as possible.  Without having orders for specific size lumber, I was thinking about cutting everything into cants, seal the ends, sticker and stack.  When I have orders, then pull the cants and saw to order.  I do have forks for handling the cants.  Is this a good idea or should I just cut boards?
thanks,

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=192396

tburch

Squaring up the logs or cutting any size cants sounds like a good idea to me, since you are in a hurry.   Get that bark off and get the next one!
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

ladylake

Cant like to split, maybe cut some 1-1/2  x 6 and 8 and some full 2 x6 and 8    for fencing and trailer floors, plus some 1".  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red

I was told to keep them as logs not as cants
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ianab

I'd suggest boards of what ever size you can produce, and stack them up for drying and treat with some Borate. That way the wood is safe for long term storage.

It would be gutting to salvage those cants, then come back in 12 months and find them checked and warped. Drying wood in cant form is a problem. A stack of nice air dried 1 and 2" boards will be perfectly saleable, as long as you kept the bugs away.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bates

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=192403

Sounds like the safest bet is to saw common size lumber.  Thanks for your input.

woodmills1

Just so you know, what ever you cut you customers will want the stuff at the bottom of the stack or the stuff you did not cut.    :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jmouton

didnt know there was much ash left in mich,    i have a difficult time sourcing any,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Thank You Sponsors!