iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Owner's Manual Belsaw M-24 and Corinth Mills

Started by Trapper John, October 26, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper John

I have a Belsaw M-24 that I am setting up and I could really use a manual.  Anyone out there who could help me out?  I have a manual for a M-14 so I don't need that.  I also have a Corinth mill in pieces and hope to set up some day.  Any Corinth mill manuals out there?

DMcCoy

I believe my manuals cover the M-10 up to the M-24.  If memory serves me correctly the M-24 had 3 of the carriage segments coupled together with 2 of the extensions- one on each end.  It also had a double belt feed works.  Does this sound correct?

I don't want to part with the originals but could make copies or if there is a way to enter them in a data base here on this site.  If this sounds interesting to you let me know.

Trapper John

Yes, the m-24 has two carriage segments, three headblocks, belt feedworks, and an oval head track.  I don't know much Belsaw history but I believe the M-24 was the top of the line.  My mill has been sitting in a grass lake for decades but I think I can resurrect it with enough time.  The track is 48 feet which I thought was amazing given that Belsaws were light PTO saws.  The original wood frame was rotted away and I have built a steel frame 44feet using stair stringers from a forest fire lookout tower.  I have it sitting on 8 concrete piers.  This is my first sawmill experience (other than chainsaw mills) so I am just sort of following  my nose.  I am installing the track now.  I have the arbor with pulleys and bearings wrapped in ammonia soaked rags and sealed in garbage bags.  Read in Farm Show Mag that ammonia will dissolve rust, hope it works.  Anyway, yes I would really like to get a copy of your manual.  I don't know if it is possible to download to this site but I would be happy  to pay you to make a copy and for postage.  It seems like a good idea to start with a manual.  Does it have parts diagrams and set up info specifically for the M-24? 

Cutting Edge

You say it was originally mounted on wood.  Maybe this manual will get you started...

Free Download - http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1050

Good Luck with your project !! 
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

DMcCoy

Quote from: Trapper John on October 27, 2015, 02:34:33 AM
Yes, the m-24 has two carriage segments, three headblocks, belt feedworks, and an oval head track.  I don't know much Belsaw history but I believe the M-24 was the top of the line.  My mill has been sitting in a grass lake for decades but I think I can resurrect it with enough time.  The track is 48 feet which I thought was amazing given that Belsaws were light PTO saws.  The original wood frame was rotted away and I have built a steel frame 44feet using stair stringers from a forest fire lookout tower.  I have it sitting on 8 concrete piers.  This is my first sawmill experience (other than chainsaw mills) so I am just sort of following  my nose.  I am installing the track now.  I have the arbor with pulleys and bearings wrapped in ammonia soaked rags and sealed in garbage bags.  Read in Farm Show Mag that ammonia will dissolve rust, hope it works.  Anyway, yes I would really like to get a copy of your manual.  I don't know if it is possible to download to this site but I would be happy  to pay you to make a copy and for postage.  It seems like a good idea to start with a manual.  Does it have parts diagrams and set up info specifically for the M-24?

I believe it has frame plans, and a parts list but don't quote me.  I will take a look this AM once everyone is up.  If it has what you need I will just mail a copy to you.  First things first I need to look it has been @ 25-30 years since I used them.

I looked at the above link and it is similar but mine are older and uses flat belts for the feed works.  Does your have flat belts or V belts?

I added to mine and have it on a 48' base.  It came with a single belt feed with wheels that rub to gig back.  I also added a double belt feed which is what you are going to need to push a big log.

Setting it up has similarities common to any circle mill.  There are a lot of circle sawyers here that can help you and I will as well.  I will get back to you in a little bit.

DMcCoy

OK, wow, I have a lot more than I remember.  I have "plans and parts lists" for models 'J' , 'A' , and 'M' Belsaw sawmills. Also some sales literature for Wards(Belsaw) and Wards(Farquhar) sawmills. Lots of old sales literature and some copies of 'Belsaw Bulletin' a periodic publication.

I also have a trouble shooting guide originally published by R.H. Hoe. which I think you will want.

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send you copies of the Belsaw manuals and the Hoe giude.

Thank You Sponsors!