iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yep, 40F here and rain all night and still so. Not a hard rain though. Doesn't seem to deter the robins and chickadees from singing in the trees before daylight. ;D Rain has changed from SW to NE though, cooler today. Big warm up tomorrow to nearly 70F.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gaproperty

Spring Chaos
On this third week of April the snow on the fields disappeared and the last of the ice in the harbour sunk. With spring in mind, I awoke making plans to get caught up on my farming and firewood harvest but man was I rudely awaken when I looked out the window.  I looked out the window at our dimly lit fields hoping to see some wildlife and check the weather.  Surely I am having a nightmare or seeing things.  I wiped my eyes in disbelief then looked again. There was about 3 inches of snow on the ground which wasn't forecasted and was the last thing on my mind. Even as a kid this was my worse weather nightmare as it always threw a monkey wrench into my fly fishing and wood harvest plans.

I attempted to feed the injured fox and I felt the door resist.  Six inches of snow blew against the door. With the wind howling and the snow falling, I had no choice but to except yet another delay to my plans.  Two days ago, I took off my snowblower and put on my logging winch. I was convinced winter was over. All the same, I was happy I put the logging winch on because a young neighbour had his truck stuck in his sister's field.  The logging winch cable reached his truck and I was able to pull him out so I was happy to help.  

I guess I don't have much to complain about compared to wildlife. This is the injured fox that was in bad shape just 3 months ago.  We fed him up as he was to lame to get his own food. Note his broken ear and the lame position he holds his back leg.  Also note the black behind his ear. Something tore this skin and now his skin is hanging. Possible cause of his injuries is a car, a coyote or an eagle.  He seems like he is doing ok now but the snow challenged his morning hunt so I gave him some scraps.  

Three weeks ago when the snow was crusted I found this dead partridge. I did an exploratory why he died. He had a broken neck.  My neighbour who is a great hunter says they frequently try to dive  deep into the snow for protection from the elements or predators.  During this dive they meet the hard crust and they break their neck.  My neighbour claims that near 80 for the fatality this time of years is caused by this misjudgement.  

For those of you who prefer videos, here is this posting youtube style. Spring Chaos - Snow, stuck truck, dead & injured wildlife, logging plans delay. - YouTube
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

lxskllr

Got a bunch of rain last night, but luckily, it wasn't the deluge they were threatening. Cloudy now, and threatening sprinkles, but it's supposed to partly clear out later. I rolled the dice, and hung my laundry outside. That almost guarantees more rain  :^D

edit:
After hanging laundry, I made a quick cruise around my backyard. The little oak seeding next to the cherry I removed last year has one little bud on it. I tried to work around it, but it took a couple big hits. I'm hoping it takes off. The cherry root sent out a sucker(I think. Could be a whole different tree). It was hit numerous times, is missing bark, and has some crazy bends. That's gonna be a special tree if I can keep it alive, and train it. Looking forward to that. My new pawpaws are budding. The one tree had the top bit off over the winter, and it has only one lonely bud. Hoping it makes it. The dawn redwoods look fantastic. I love those trees. Hope I live long enough to see them big  :^)

Old Greenhorn

Got up at around 4:30am yesterday for an early start worked until around 5:30pm when the rain started. Got 2 loads cut, split and moved, and 1 of them stacked. Also got some logs skidded and that 70' windblown maple bucked up into logs. got 4 sawlogs, the rest is firewood. I shot some video for the first time for my friends who keep wanting to come and help because they think it's all fun and games. Was hoping for something dramatic when I severed that stump platter from the trunk, but it worked out so nicely that it looked way too easy and smooth.
 We got some heavy rain over night with the hardest just after dawn, ti was coming down at 1/2 per hour rate. Nearly an inch of rain, now tapering off. Just finished stacking the last load from yesterday. time to start the cycle again. I should do a measurement to see how much more I need, but the pile are getting there. I figure 3-5 more loads. Gonna be damp, over cast and drizzly most of the day I think, but it is warm, in the 60's. I'll take it.  :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

goose63

2 days agao had the heat on to take the chill out today it was up to 81 thats North Dakota for ya ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Just came in from filling the OWB. A warm night. Picking up limbs from the norway pine I cut this winter for some fuel. Does take time to fill the OWB with not much bigger than a 2 inch limb. This is part of the grown up pasture I want back as a field.  Slow process cleaning up the limbs. Most times I haul the trees up to the brush pile,than I pick up the limbs there for the OWB and what I don't want gets pushed up into a pile to be burned.I do throw in some good size pieces,but not needing much for heat,I can burn the small stuff now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Just fog most of the night here and still fog.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Same here. That will eat some snow up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Two things.
peepers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not in the brook yet. Can't hear them at the house.
And the Poplars are in bloom.
Well 3 things,have to really look,but the maples have red buds on them. Can't quite see it all over,but it's close.

SwampDonkey

Yep, and if it is decent today I will be transplanting raspberries. And tomorrow start working on moving some grapes. The vacation is over. :D :D :D

gaproperty

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 20, 2019, 11:37:38 AM
Got up at around 4:30am yesterday for an early start worked until around 5:30pm when the rain started. Got 2 loads cut, split and moved, and 1 of them stacked. Also got some logs skidded and that 70' windblown maple bucked up into logs. got 4 sawlogs, the rest is firewood. I shot some video for the first time for my friends who keep wanting to come and help because they think it's all fun and games. Was hoping for something dramatic when I severed that stump platter from the trunk, but it worked out so nicely that it looked way too easy and smooth.
We got some heavy rain over night with the hardest just after dawn, ti was coming down at 1/2 per hour rate. Nearly an inch of rain, now tapering off. Just finished stacking the last load from yesterday. time to start the cycle again. I should do a measurement to see how much more I need, but the pile are getting there. I figure 3-5 more loads. Gonna be damp, over cast and drizzly most of the day I think, but it is warm, in the 60's. I'll take it.  :)
You are on the same schedule as me.  Up at 5:30 a.m. and usually gone to the woods cutting firewood.  How big of loads do you cut.  I would like to see the video you shot. Where can I find it. 
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

Old Greenhorn

It's that time of year. I didn't get all I wanted done this weekend because it rained quite a bit and I got tired of being wet. The videos are pretty boring, but I'll embed them here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5qy7H7QR-4&t=449s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8h7pwSTpWY

Edit: I forgot to mention, my load sizes vary but average somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 cord, that is what the trailer will bear and the mule can pull up the hill.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

chevytaHOE5674

Rain rain rain over an inch since last evening and supposed to rain the rest of the day. Most of our snow is now liquified and ponding up. Some roads are washed out and others and likely to follow. Ugly ugly.

wisconsitom

Inch and a half of rain at my plantation late last week.  Another inch to 2 inches on the way today/tonight.  There is no frost,save for perhaps the shadiest spots under white-cedar groves, etc.  I had digging to do in an open, sunny field and had no difficulty.  Hybrid aspen cuttings got planted.

tom

Heavenia Tree Farm-where the trees grow with ease.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

SwampDonkey

I got the raspberries in this morning. Burned a pile of brush. Later I set up the gazebo tent and had a nap under the trees. It was 56F, but felt nice. :)

And notice, the grass is greening up already. :D

lxskllr

65° and partly cloudy with a breeze. Changed the oil in the truck today, and of course got oil all over myself cause the design engineer was an idiot. I'd like to kick him in the nads. Also changed the oil in the mower, and made the grass shorter. ~25 more times left  :^(

chevytaHOE5674

Over 2" of rain so far and still coming down. Temps have dropped to 33° and its changed to sleet/slush a few times but nothing sticking. Water is over my driveway, over my bridge, town has some minor flooding so far. Even the tops of the hills are saturated and have standing water. 

tule peak timber

Close to 80 and wildflowers everywhere.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SwampDonkey

The old hermit got his taters, onions and carrots in over the weekend. He doubled his tater acreage. :D :D I won't plant until mid May and mine will be just as far ahead, maybe further if his don't rot. Can't hurt an onion though. Carrots don't like cold at the germination stage and if it is dry it is hard to get them going to.

Start on the garden - YouTube

Goose, you got the garden tilled yet? ;) :D

SwampDonkey

The colts foot has been in bloom here over a week, but they don't send leaves up until later. They are yellow. I noticed the trout lilies are up, but no blooms yet.

Saw a pair of blue herons fly by the porch this morning. :)

Ljohnsaw

Been in the 80's a bit last week and today but upper 60's over the weekend down here.  Up on my cabin project property figure 15° cooler and 20° cooler at night.  So the 8-10' snow is probably still hanging in there.  Wednesday is supposed to hit 90° :-\ here.  I'll probably go up next week to check on the snow and maybe dig out my last burn pile and light it.  If it doesn't snow (much) anymore this spring, I might be back at it by June!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I saw one Road Closed sign up due to flooding. The ice on Mosher Pond is looking mighty dark. A lot of the ice is gone. A week has made a big difference. Seems nice to work outside with a t shirt on.

SwampDonkey

Southern New Brunswick around Grand Lake area, and that's a huge area, is under flood this week.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 23, 2019, 04:31:40 AM
Southern New Brunswick around Grand Lake area, and that's a huge area, is under flood this week.
That should really help your mosquito crop bloom this summer. No flooding here, but everything remains wet. I was harvesting fresh mud with my logs over the weekend. Nighttime temps in the 40's, daytime is high 50's to high 60's on a good day. Would like to see more sun to harden up the ground.

curdog

52 this morning and heading to the mid 80s this afternoon... but at least the humidity hasn't really kicked in yet. We still have some pollen floating around, but nothing like it was a couple weeks ago...

Thank You Sponsors!