iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Year, New You

Started by woodNthings, January 02, 2013, 11:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodNthings

Like most, I've been reviewing threads for quite a while as a guest on this site. The time has come to join as I proceed to get my milling operation off the ground. There is a wealth of knowledge here among all you seasoned sawing veterans, as well as a very friendly and inviting atmosphere.
I have had an Orange machine for a couple years now, doing personal projects like barns and some sawing for neighbors but I'm ready to take the leap into making a business of it. Starting out slow and learning as I go, looking forward to using this great resource.
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Wood, to the Forum and Happy New Year.

Can't wait to here of some of your experiences when sawing. Keep us posted with pics.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    woodNthings.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I didn't know wm made a lt33
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Tree Feller

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. You're right, there's a great group of knowledgeable sawyers here. Enjoy.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

Howdy woodnthings, welcome and congrats on the new you! good luck this year, should be a good one.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, woodNthings!

Thanks for joining us!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodNthings

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
I figured it wouldn't take long to get a comment about the LT33, it started as a manual LT28 and since then has been modified with hydraulics; loading arms, back stops, log turner and other doo-dads. So i figured its almost a LT33  :D
'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

thecfarm

woodNthings,yep,your LT33 will fit right in.  :D  welcome to the forum
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WoodenHead

Welcome to the forum woodNthings!

My LT28 is undergoing changes as well.  Right now it is about an LT30.5, but I hope to have an LT33 by the time I'm done  ;)  Post some pictures of your mill.  I'm interested in seeing how you have done your loading arms.

At this point I have a working hydraulic log turner, but I'm thinking of adding a two-plane clamp as well.  First I need to complete the toe rollers and hydraulic backstop though.  Last will be the loading arms.

woodNthings

Here's photos of the loading arms that have been added to the LT28. The rollers mounted on them have proven handy, since I only have manual toe boards. Woodenhead, I use my log turner as a clamp ;D.

'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to say....I like it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

I like it, too. I don't see many pictures of WM Mills here that aren't some shade of dull pink. It's nice to see one with good paint on it.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

samandothers

Welcome!  Alreasy over the pi ture posting hurdle too.  Nice mods on the mill. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum WoodNThings which part of lower Alabama are you from I spent 4 months in Mobile I think you will find there is a fair bit of work for a sawmill in that area as when I was going to live there alot of eople came out of the woodwork when they found out I was going to be doing sawmilling as there is a fair bit of tree work that gets done down there as I had 4 treeloppers in Mobile that wanted stuff sawn or just wanted rid of the logs and had piles that where pretty big on the Whackometer even by my standards  ;) :D so I reckon you should do alrite up there Mate ;)  ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

woodNthings

Its become apparent that I will have more work than I know what to do with during my off time between shift work...>>>What an incredibly great problem to have :) ! Meadows Miller, I'm just outside of Mobile and tree work is plentiful, in fact, I have already received a nice load (below) from a friend with a very successful service. The concern I have with them is assuming many are yard trees...but the price is right!
Next hurdle to cross is designing a business plan, producing various species, and offering everything from green rough cut... to plained quartersawn lumber. I have the capabilities of air drying properly and tooling to make a quality finished product. Would like to do some mobile sawing but keep it to a minimum.
Its part of the growing pains but in time I feel I'll find a market that fits interest.
If all else fails, I have plenty of personal woodworking projects on the punch list ;D

'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

Cedarman

Welcome WoodNthings,
Make a list of all the things you can do.
Then arrange your list so that the most profitable things are at the top , down to the least profitable.  It will take a lot of pencil pushing and research to make this list.  Also this list can change as the price of what you charge may change.
This list will help you focus on where to put your energy.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!