iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

025 Stihl

Started by jerry sundberg, November 27, 2013, 07:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry sundberg

I have a 025 stihl that has started acting like it's out of gas.Starts real well,runs real good for about two minutes,then as soon as you pull the throtle it sounds like it's starving for gas and dies. I've replaced the gas line from the tank and the filter to no avail,still does the same.Just on a whim I left the gas cap loose and it ran well for about two hours of cutting.The next day it was back at stalling out again.Whats next to check? Crank shaft seals,carb overhaul?
Farmall  man

Hilltop366

TLSTWIN

My 025 started fine, rev'd ok, but as soon as I would touch the chainto wood it would just boog out. I pulled it apart & the piston top is UGLY, walls are scored, and one bearing on the crank was junk. with all this, I still had good compression

daves

I was given a new Stihl 029 as a gift about ten years ago and it has been troubled with bogging/stalling since new.  It ran best with a full tank and stalling would get worse as the saw warmed/used up the fuel. 

I'd been studying up on taking it apart to look for carb, hose, and vent problems.  I'd never looked closely inside the tank so I did that first.  I removed the gas cap and looked inside and there was the problem!  The U-shaped clip/retainer that tethers the gas cap had snagged the fuel pickup, was holding it up off the bottom of the tank, and prevented the pickup from swinging when tilting the saw.  I pulled the tether out of the tank and removed the clip from the tether and the saw now runs properly -- at long last.  German precision, I guess.

Looking at donyboy's excellent youtube repair videos, it looks like there are at least two different designs for the tether clip, but it  looks like either could still interfere with the fuel pickup.

thecfarm

daves,welcome to the forum. Something so simple.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!