iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinning Nas's

Started by nas, December 14, 2008, 10:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Sorry to copy your subject heading Tom, but I had a light thinning done on my 15 acres of maple bush last week.
the pile of sawlogs

The skidder

The landing man

The landing machine

They took out about 100 sawlog trees and a lot of firewood.  They did a very clean job and I had no complaints.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Tom

That's a lot of pretty stuff to come from 15 acre thinning.  Way to go.

Good pictures too. 

Actually, it's probaby a good thing that you named yours what you did, because we can do a search and find both of them.  If someone else thins, maybe they will name their's like that too. :)

SwampDonkey

That's a good bunch of logs Nas. Did you figure up the remaining inventory standing? Your growth looks tall in the picture, and nice flat ground. ;D Gonna saw some?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nas

The woodlot has never been thinned before, and has lots of big old maples.  It has been tapped for many years and the previous owner cut almost every tree that wasn't a maple for firewood for his evaporators.  Many of the trees cut were lower quality with a few nice ones mixed in to make it attractive for the buyer.  My forester thinks I should be able to cut again in 6 to 8 years.
Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 14, 2008, 10:20:23 PM
That's a good bunch of logs Nas. Did you figure up the remaining inventory standing? Your growth looks tall in the picture, and nice flat ground. ;D Gonna saw some?
I might saw a few for myself but I want to stick with selling pine and cedar.  I already have too many irons in the fire right now to add more ::)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

tonich

Nice pictures, Nas!  :)

What is the lenght of the logs and what will they be used for?

thecfarm

What's up with these thinning jobs?Nobody runs chains when they thin?I'm real surprised not to see that skidder chained up.First one I've seen in this neck of the woods with no chains.Glad they did a good,clean job for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom

No chains down here.  If they put anything on the tires here it would be bedroom slippers.  :D

I've heard of chains being used when the skidders were in a wet swamp and running in water and muck over their tires, but have never seen it done.  Most of the operators are praying that there will be something solid under there that the tires can hit before the whole machine goes under.  :)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

As long as the the ground is firm and no hills, no need for chains. Most we ever used was maybe a set on the front end and only when the tires were worn a bit and mostly used the skidder in winter with chains on front. ;D We never left ruts in the woods and our ground was flat as the floor.  :) It's funny, there are hills all around here, but our woods was flat even the maple woods.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nas

Quote from: thecfarm on December 15, 2008, 06:50:57 AM
What's up with these thinning jobs?Nobody runs chains when they thin?I'm real surprised not to see that skidder chained up.First one I've seen in this neck of the woods with no chains.Glad they did a good,clean job for you.
They said they use chains in the winter.  There is no snow on the ground to speak of now so the traction is still pretty good.

Nick

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!