iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the winter from hell (continues)

Started by Quebecnewf, February 19, 2010, 08:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well what can i say. It has been mild here for nearly 3 weeks now. We have no snow to speak of and the ice bridge is slowly melting away . It has not been thick enough to cross for over 10 days now.

I have approx 200 logs piled in the woods and if things don't get cold soon it will be a wasted year for logs. If I don't get any in the winter that means no sawing this summer.

The plan is , if we get any snow and that is a big if. Go in with skidoo and haul them to the shoreline. I would then raft them home with my boat in the spring.

like i said " the winter from hell"

Quebecnewf

Chuck White

It seems the Southerners took our Winter from us this year! 

Seems nice at the time, but believe it or not folks, we will most likely pay the consequences!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

stonebroke

I think the southerners would agree with you.

Stonebroke

DanG

Here's one Southerner who sympathizes with ya, Newf.  The weather here has certainly been frustrating, but at least my Summer isn't in jeopardy because of it.  Glad to hear you have a plan B, and I hope you get that snow.  Is there a way you could skid those logs if you don't get the snow?  How about an arch?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

We still have almost no snow here too, only 6 inches when there should be at least 2 feet. The farmers are worrying about another year of drought.

How many Km from the logs to the shore?

Phorester

Interesting weather.  Here in NW Virginia we've had 5 - 6 feet of snow since mid-December.  We got 18" then, it stayed so cold that we had about 6" of that still on the ground when we got 8" more in early January, then another 18", then about 30" 3 weeks ago.    For weeks temps have been in the mid-20s - low 30s in the day, teens - low 20s at night.

We've got as much snow in past years, but it usually melts within a week.  We've had snow covered ground since mid December.  We still have about 18" on the ground in the open areas, more in the woods.  Very unusual winter for us. Our fire season normally starts in early Feb.  This time last year we were having 4 - 6 woods fires a day.

Frickman

It's been so cold and snowy here in SW PA that I haven't been in the woods for two weeks and was only there sporadically for the month before that. I brought the skidder home to the farm a couple weeks ago to plow snow and pull trucks and tractors around, I might as well use it for something. Most years January is the worst month for logging and then February starts to get easier. I probably won't cut a a single tree in February. Maybe March will be better.

A couple of days ago Pittsburgh tied the record for the snowiest month ever and we still have a week and a half to go. This global warming we've been having sure is nice.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Magicman

We've had a break from the rain for a few days.  I finished a good sawing job yesterday and will get my new Oak trees in the ground today and tomorrow.  Then it looks like rain again Sunday.  That will be good news for the newly planted trees.... :)   Maybe I can start a Cedar job middle of the week.

My heart goes out to you and your situation newf.  That is all so different and so much more critical than anything that we experience.    Good luck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YukonJon

Wow, something weird going on. Here in the Yukon we have April weather in February, in some spots here its thawing, been warmer than -10C for allot of the winter. A year ago it was in the -30s or colder. Not much snow either, less than half of last year, forecast is more of the same.

Jon

Quebecnewf

The distance from the woods to the shore is about 3.5 klm. It has to be hauled by snowmobile without the snow I cannot go.

Quebecnewf

pitotshock

I've been cutting hardwood ash out of the bush at the in-laws for a month now and we depend on the swamp to be solid to get the logs out. I started cutting when the ice was only 2 inches thick and I would step through in places. We skidded a few logs out with the ATV.

It has been really too warm to get enough ice to support the big tractor, so we are using the little one (35hp). And even that one is breaking through the ice in spots. We have had little to no snow in the month of Feb and the sun is getting stronger every day. I think we will have another week or two at the most to move logs across the ice and that will be it for the winter.

I have been saying that we have been having a really mild winter so far and we are due for a major snow storm. So, I hope for your sake it comes in for ya. I have been tempting fate for a month because my snowblower on the back of the tractor was in need of repairs, but I fixed it last night, so the snow probably won't come now...
Stihl MS361, Makita DCS340

downeast

Quote from: pitotshock on February 19, 2010, 01:02:13 PM
I've been cutting hardwood ash out of the bush at the in-laws for a month now and we depend on the swamp to be solid to get the logs out. I started cutting when the ice was only 2 inches thick and I would step through in places. We skidded a few logs out with the ATV.

It has been really too warm to get enough ice to support the big tractor, so we are using the little one (35hp). And even that one is breaking through the ice in spots. We have had little to no snow in the month of Feb and the sun is getting stronger every day. I think we will have another week or two at the most to move logs across the ice and that will be it for the winter.

I have been saying that we have been having a really mild winter so far and we are due for a major snow storm. So, I hope for your sake it comes in for ya. I have been tempting fate for a month because my snowblower on the back of the tractor was in need of repairs, but I fixed it last night, so the snow probably won't come now...

Ditto here in Downeast Maine, ~1 hour east of Bangor. Very little snow, but the ground has stayed frozen making it easy to work the wood. With temps lately hitting over 40 F,  things are softening up too quickly. Cutting and hauling in shirtsleeves is more like May than a February in northern Maine ! We do need snow. I'm finished with the winter harvesting since the lack of snow made it less troublesome to get around.

You all eat grits ?  ;D

moonhill

I wonder how grits would taste with blueberries mixed in?

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Coon

Quote from: moonhill on February 21, 2010, 10:56:29 AM
I wonder how grits would taste with blueberries mixed in?

Tim

Don't try that.... you'll wreck the blueberries.   :D  :D  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

rick f

I think i've cut about 25 cord of hardwood in the last month for firewood. I haven't cut steady a day here and there. The snow has gone fast here in Downeast Maine. I had to skid out to my firelines in the afternoons so I didn't tear up the blueberry bushes. Finished twiching them to the yard in the mornings when things were froze up.Right now it splits real easy with the frost in it.

Remember guys get your wife to buy more wild blueberries, there healty for you.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

SwampDonkey

Just a skim of snow here in the fields, and less than a foot of snow in the woods on which you go to the bottom even with snowshoes. The beaver ponds are opening up as well and the stream channels never froze all winter. We have been getting snow showers all month which melts as it hits the ground and rain mixed in at times. Around my plantation trees it's bare at their base and piled in between from shedding off the limbs in storms. What storms? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Ya know how we like pictures. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

60 here today and they are forecasting a chance of snow showers  :o  Wednesday night  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I didn't take any pictures, but when I see caterpillars on the snow I know it can't be going to be cold for much longer. :D

dsgsr

Quote from: Magicman on February 22, 2010, 03:00:59 PM
60 here today and they are forecasting a chance of snow showers  :o  Wednesday night  ???

Been like April here in (western) downeast Maine. Someone musta turned the world up-side-down. Gotta go south for winter fun:)

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

SwampDonkey

Big storm coming for the weekend. Rain! The west and southwest they say heavy snow.  Boston is about to get snow bombed. Again! :D :D

Quebecnewf

Went in to the mill today by ATV and took a few pics. You just cannot believe it is Feb here in N Quebec

and here is what it should look like

Can you see the difference?????

Quebecnewf

beenthere

Maybe we should try to arrange an emergency airlift for a few C5's to drop off some logs. Sure does look sad for you.
Bummer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

It will surely make up for it next winter Newf. ;D

petefrom bearswamp

Here in the Finger lakes region of NYS  the winter has been fairly cold, but not much snow.
A local logging outfit is starting my Ash salvage job tomorrow and I hope the temps stay cold.
Snowmobilers (me included ) are suffering here .
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!