iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

453 service manual?

Started by poorfarm, July 03, 2012, 08:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poorfarm

does any one have a 453 service manual i need to replace head gasket.. could some one fax me top end torque specs etc.. i have manuals on gearamatic eaton, clark, trannys bunch of timberjack 300 400 series manuals also..phone #603 903-5787 call and i will give fax # if some one can help.. thanks josh

bushmechanic

You'll need a booklet of paper matches.A 5/8 twelve point socket and a 9/16 one.If it has the origional rack bolts a 1/4 twelve point is needed also.You don't need to remove the injectors or the valve rockers for that job but be careful not to put the head down and hit the injectors.Take the govoner top off and let the fuel rod go in order to get it off-if you try to get the head off without removing it then you will bend it and cause a host of problems.I think the head bolts torque to 170-180 ft/lbs I'll check and make sure.Just wondering why you think you need a head gasket?The head seals differently on a Detroit than anything else.In box me if you need to know anything.

John Woodworth

Dito on what Bushmechanic says, there is no head gasket as you are used to seeindg, there are individual fire rings for the cylinders and a multitude of 3 different sized square shaped O-rings that seav the various block to head ports and a single one than goes oround the outer edge of block to head, They are a  pain to keep in place, I use Cat. contact gaket cement and it works well. Unless you have blown a fire ring I assume it's overheating and if you are getting combustion bubbles in the radiator chances are you have a cracked head. K and W block seal is worth a try first off, I've sealed cracked heads on Cat and Jd, end run you'll have to replsce the head.

Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

poorfarm

going to put this thing on. what should i put on head bolts oil? is it easier to remove that fuel rod from govener box before installing.I took it off rolling it on angle but seems like would never get o rings to stay.?

bushmechanic

Engine oil on the head bolts,yes take off the fuel rod so you don't bend it.Get yourself four longer bolts than the head bolts and then cut the hex head off of them and cut some slots in the top so you can use a flat screwdriver on them.Use these guide bolts so you don't knock the o-rings out of place.Don't forget to place the black square o-rings over the camshaft as they are the seal for the oil supply to the head.Have fun.

jackpine

I have a series 53 service manual, dated1985, that anyone can have for the cost of postage. I parted out a c5d forwarder but forgot to give the manual to the man who bought the 353 and I have no way to contact him. IT is a little dirty and slightly tattered but intact and very usable. PM me if interested.

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!