iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAW LOG PRICES

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 29, 2012, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

You may as well sell the logs as pulpwood for that price  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terry f

At 150 per thousand, is the landowner paying to have them removed, or giveing them away?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terry f on July 31, 2012, 12:41:24 PM
    At 150 per thousand, is the landowner paying to have them removed, or giveing them away?

I have know idea. I know the logger. I mean we are not good friends , but I know him through his family. I called my head forester that works with us and he said the guy that I'm buying the logs from is on the 'HONEST LIST".
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terry f

I don't mean anything shady, I just don't see much left for the landowner for anything under 200.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terry f on July 31, 2012, 03:53:39 PM
   I don't mean anything shady, I just don't see much left for the landowner for anything under 200.

I see what your saying now Terry......Good point.

bill m

logging cost = $150/mbf+ trucking $50/mbf means we need to get $275 straight thru or better to make it worth while for the land owner.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

barbender

We figure around $40 a cord up here for logging, $20-$30 for trucking, so we need to get $140mbf delivered plus whatever stumpage we pay. After our recent windstorm, one local pine mill dropped it's price to $140mbf, cutthroat thieves. So all these landowners are stuck with big pine on the ground that needs to be cut, but it's not worth anything right now. Crummy deal. Bill, $150mbf for the logging cost, you must eat steak every night  ;D
Too many irons in the fire

terry f

Bills numbers seem in line or a little low from what I've heard around here. I've heard up to 250 to get it to the mill, but no personal experience with it.

Peter Drouin

Hi all, some times you can get a good deal on logs. I got the W pine for the trucking price only. 6500 bf for $ 340.00. some box wood but alot of nice stuff too :D

all the junk I put in the 1 ton and bring it to a guy that has a outside wood B.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Peter,take the good with the bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

lumberjack48

Nice logs, you have to get them sawed in to lumber in two weeks or it will stain.

16 yrs ago i got $44. mbf to put logs on the landing, we tryed to get 10,000 bf a day.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

tyb525

POSTON, have you got any logs yet?? Pics??

Are you gonna be the Bibbyman of SC now?

Sounds like you'll need to read the log lot management problem thread that Bibby started!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tyb525 on August 06, 2012, 02:25:16 PM
POSTON, have you got any logs yet?? Pics??

Are you gonna be the Bibbyman of SC now?

Sounds like you'll need to read the log lot management problem thread that Bibby started!

Yes I have got my logs in. I bought 2 loads......right at 4,000 bf doyle. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. There are 5 acres on this tract. The logger is gonna give me all the Cedar for free if I come and limb them. Plus he will load them on his truck and bring them to me after I limb them. Not bad.....only 4 miles down the road.

Not worried about Blue Stain. Around here blue stain in Pine is like grits......it's a way of life.  :)

Peter Drouin

Got your logs on doyle, you should make out like a bandit.thats like 6000 bf International log rule. no mater how you cut your logs you will be way ahead. and free cedar.not bad for a newbe :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here's the small whack the Logger brought in. All were sawn to my length specs

This log was 33 inches on the big end. I was able to get 28 / 1 inch x 8 inch x 10 foot long boards out of it. 28 boards at $3.50 is $98.00. I got a few 8 foot boards also. Really good log......got me over $100.00 for one log.

For sawyers who don't know, I always place the log with the butt toward the beginning of the cut. It helps me whittle it down quicker and without worrying about getting the blade guides hung up.

One NICE cant. Some very nice lumber came out of this BIG log.

Mark Wentzell

Are those hands hanging from the wall in the last picture?  smiley_confused

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mark Wentzell on August 08, 2012, 05:55:25 PM
Are those hands hanging from the wall in the last picture?  smiley_confused

I put this sign up last year to make people think BEFORE they approached the mill while it is in operation.
It works.

Migal

;) I need one of those signs  8) I tell everyone stay on this side of the head but sure enough they want to see the other side sooner or later. So I shut everything down and ask them are they really prepared to see the other side of life as well?  8) at the mill distance is a friend.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

WDH

At least you have one foot left to hop around on  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Meadows Miller

Those are some dang nice logs you have there David  ;) ;D 8) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Cypressstump

What blade configuation are you using on those Pines there David?

Nice logs, and nice set up you have.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cypressstump on August 10, 2012, 12:18:52 PM
What blade configuation are you using on those Pines there David?

Nice logs, and nice set up you have.

Thanks......

I just use the 10 degree. They've seem to work pretty well.

Thank You Sponsors!