iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to identify skidder

Started by Vance in AK, August 18, 2012, 09:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vance in AK

Hi all.
First post & I'm looking dor help trying to identify a skidder I used to run in le late 70s/early 80s. 
Could be wrong, but seems it was kind of cream colored.  What I do remember is that it had an oxe of some type on it.  Don't remember if it was just a head or the whole animal, decal or cut out design.  It wasn't a new machine at the time, but not ancient either.  About the same size as a 518, maybe a little smaller?
Thanks for any help.

thecfarm

Vance in AK,welcome to the forum. Still working in the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyLogger

Probably a Pettibone, had a rams head on the side of some of em I think. Mountain Goat or something like that.
Hope this helps.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum. Mebbe it was a Mountain Logger?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

barbender

I was going to guess Mountain Logger, too.
Too many irons in the fire

Vance in AK

Thanks for the welcome guys, & mad murdock & barbender, you nailed it!!  Thanks, that's been bugging me for years.  I thought of every other skidder I had run but couldn't come up with the Mountain Logger.

thecfarm, not in the woods anymore.  I grew up in south central Oregon (Klamath Falls) & logged from centeral Oregon to Sacremento Ca.  Left Oregon for Alaska in 88 & have been out of the industry since.  Have been full time pastor of a church here for the last 10 yrs.
Still love cutting firewood & think it would be a ball to have a small one man show as a hobby about 1 day a week  :-).  Cut & skid & let someone with a selfloader do the hauling. 

mad murdock

Glad to help joggle the old memory bank. Which part of he Great Land do you call home? We moved from the interior to ORE about 15 yrs ago, and now are blessed to be the stewards of a 40ac. tree farm. Life is grande.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Vance in AK

Quote from: mad murdock on August 19, 2012, 10:31:57 AM
Glad to help joggle the old memory bank. Which part of he Great Land do you call home? We moved from the interior to ORE about 15 yrs ago, and now are blessed to be the stewards of a 40ac. tree farm. Life is grande.

I'm in Kenai.  Left Klamath Falls for here back in 88.  Sure miss that country.  That 40 acre tree farm sounds awful nice ;D
Where were you up here?

barbender

I'd love to see all of that country out there. On the Mountain Logger, I think they were made in the NW somewhere, I've only seen pictures of them. I remember they had a big set of horns on them, I think :)

lumberjack48

I know a guy that has a small M Logger, he bought it new in 1970, it has a 2 cylinder Detroit, good skidder, he logged full time with it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

LJ, if that is the Mountain Logger with the 2 cylinder Detroit, I heard a story about it. The story went that the owner and some friends got good and drunk, and the owner made a bet that he could winch the skidder up off of the ground up into a tree. So they hooked the cable up in a tree, he winched himself up into the air, then the engine died I suppose it starved for fuel. So then he was stuck up in the air ::) Can you confirm or deny this story? :D

barbender

lumberjack48

Yes, true story, fast Ed and his side kicks
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

Quote from: Vance in AK on August 19, 2012, 10:52:21 AM

I'm in Kenai.  Left Klamath Falls for here back in 88.  Sure miss that country.  That 40 acre tree farm sounds awful nice ;D
Where were you up here?
Kenai, land of championship combat fishing! When we moved it was from the Fairbanks area. Prior to that we did the bush thing, lived in Aniak, Kotzebue and Nome.

Thank You Sponsors!