iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surprise!

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, June 16, 2019, 07:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

This is what I found when I took the cover off the mill last week.
One of them got me but I got most of them.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

I had them building in the frame of my mill last week. Fortunately I did not get stung before i killed them. I was less fortunate 2 days ago when I moved a box of walnut cookies and one nailed my R. wrist before I destroyed the nest. They are out there and they build quick so this is a good reminder to be real careful around the mill and those stacks of lumber and such. You can get hurt real bad and real quick. This might even belong in the health and safety thread. :o
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

Something I learned a long time ago was to pick a leaf off a broad leaf plantain, which is in every lawn around here.
Chew it up and hold the mushy goo against the sting for a couple of minutes.
It really, really works.

gdaddy01

that is a nice nest they have started there . glad only one got you .

Weekend_Sawyer

I was amazed, I had used the mill 2 weeks ago! Fast builders.

123maxbars

happened to me before, usually I get bird nest in mine, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

lxskllr

Not a fun surprise  :^O

I'll try to remember that plantain treatment. For all the time I spend outside, I've been stung surprisingly few times over the years, but when it's happened, it isn't fun.

KenMac

Found a bird nest started in my mill the other day. It sat for 4 days, I think.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Chuck White

Surprises like that are natures way of proving that an ole phart can still run.  ;)

Glad to hear that only one of them got you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Weekend,

Old timers used to chew up some tobacco (Cigarette, cigar, snuff, chewing tobacco, etc) and put on it. I have mixed various green leaves and put the juice on a sting with some relief (real or imagined). The sting is bad but the itching the next couple of days is much worse IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brad_bb

Sorry to hear you got stung.  I've been stung twice and wasps are the worst cause they can keep stinging.  

On another note, I found a paper wasp next about the size of a raquetball and kept it to maybe use in an epoxy pour.  I save a number of things I've found - huge beetles, robins egg shells, the other type of wasp comb, walnuts, acorns, whatever looks like it might be interesting.  A couple years ago I found a dead Cicada and let it dry out, then a couple of the exoskeletons that they come out of when they come out of the ground, and positioned them in an epoxy pour like a little scene.  I need to make a vacuum tank so I can prefill things like this and vacuum the air out, then put them in the main pour.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

Have found two baby copper heads so far this year under lumber stacks, WHOMP, Boot Scoot and Boogie. Another reason not to wear flip flops.  ;D  Had a two footer sliding toward me and a calf the other day.  He choose poorly..... That's his head by the point of the Condor.  

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

Skin him, mount him in a coil, and embed him in an epoxy pour  ;D ;D ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

That one got tossed into an old barn hole that I am filling in.  I do have a 42" one, the diameter of my arm, that I skun a couple years back.  Need to make a hat band one day.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

They do build fast. I had a very large hornet nest in my barn near the door. I don't know how I missed it when they were building it. They had what looked like entrances everywhere and I didn't think I could spray it fast enough to avoid a sting so we co-existed til winter. They tried to re-build next spring... uhuh... no way.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Old Greenhorn

Adolph's Meat Tenderizer will make the sting go away within about 5 seconds. Use the type that has MSG, any other won't work. Wet the area sprinkle some on, rub it lightly and wait. In a minute you should have forgotten all about it. Use fresh stuff. I get a new can every year and keep it handy. It's a wonder drug.
 Edit to add: The sooner you put it on, the more effective it is. After 10 minutes, the toxin has already spread too far and results diminish as time goes by. If you get it on in the first 2 minutes, you will be back to work in 10 minutes. Got nailed by 8 wasps in one shot one time, thought I was done for the day, but was back working in no time after this treatment.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Colonel_O

This guy isn't as fast as bees or snakes, but imagine his bite would hurt an awful lot. Nearly ran him over this weekend while moving logs around.  We've been seeing a lot of snappers in central PA this wet spring.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35-RS. Logrite Buck Arch.   US Marine Corps (retired)

gdaddy01

I have noticed that when killing wasps , when they leave the nest , they fly toward the brightest light . door opening to the sunlight . it is hard to do , but don't move .

Woodpecker52

When I kill wasps and they leave the nest they usually head straight for me and I am usually high tailing it away from them as fast as I can run!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Mike W

I have always wondered why heavy equipment is either bright orange or bright yellow, which consequently seems to be the preferred color of bees and wasps to snoop around.  I constantly am fighting them out of every nook and cranny of the tractor, mill and other various equipment of said color.  Guess the bright colors makes it easy to find your equipment the next day when your just not quite sure where you left it.  All said, I do smile every time I look down at the WM orange mill ready to be fired up for the day, even with the newly squatters that took hold while in my absence.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!