iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat Logging - it can be done

Started by DGK, October 23, 2016, 12:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGK

Who says that you can't log with a Bobcat skid steer? After having searched endlessly to find posts from individuals using a skid steer to skid logs without much success, I have decided to add a few pics and comments of my own experience. It does work, albeit, the skidding is slower than using a skidder, but a bobcat is what I have. I am a one man logging and saw milling operation cutting small diameter trees. The process that I use is to hand cut the trees, then use the bobcat equipped with a grapple bucket to de-limb, skid and load the logs. The de-limbing is accomplished by driving up and down the length of the tree with the grapple as well as rubbing the chain equipped tires and belly pan along the trees length. This removes the majority of the limbs leaving only a little clean up at the landing. I tried several different ways of skidding the logs both forwards and backwards. I have settled on using a chain choker attached to the arms of the grapple. This allows me to lift the logs into the bucket portion of the grapple while allowing the logs to swing freely on the windy skid trails. The trees are not large, so I buck them between 38 -42 feet long and am able to skid 2-3 logs at a time. Once at the landing, I then buck to logs to their optimum length. The grapple works great for loading the log truck. After a day of logging and a full load on the truck, the Bobcat is loaded in the trailer and home we go for a day of milling. :-)

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

redprospector

It can be done. I did it for quite a while.
If it's all a man has...it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  :D
I still use a Bobcat on the landing when I'm logging/thinning, they're a really versatile machine.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

newoodguy78

There's nothing wrong with using what you have. Looks like a pretty efficient and mobile setup you have there. Keep up the good work.

Offthebeatenpath

It absolutely can be done, and sometimes pretty efficiently. I logged a few winters with my ASV tracked skid steer, and as Redprospector said, still use it at the yard now that I'm primarily using a skidder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSr9Dqant0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eRBn6eJwW8

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

DDW_OR

yep, use what you got to do what you need.
and let the machines do the work.

from left to right
pallet forks, mahindra 5520 4x4, Farmi JL501 Skidding Winch, 2005 2wd Honda Rancher

"let the machines do the work"

Jeff

Do you happen to need a Website? I built a website for a guy, bought the name www.bobcatlogging.com for him, and he never paid me. I have a ready built website that all I need to do is customize the text  for a new Clint and they have a website quick!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

62oliver

I did it for awhile before I got my skidder, it was not too bad, but if it rained it got kind of greasy and it would be hard to get around, the chains like DGK has would have helped a lot I'm sure.
  I was also limited as to where I could go due to steep/rough/wet terrain. Not any more!!  But I will always have a skid steer!!
BTW offthebeatenpath, that looks like a pretty handy setup with the winch on the back.
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Plankton

Buddy of mine does it at the sugar farm he works at. Grapple on front, winch on the back or front can't remember. They short haul to the main trails with the skidsteer and use a forwarding trailer on a tractor to bring it all to the landing. Seems to work suprisingly well, excepting the skidsteer tears up the woods pretty good In bad weather. There machine has tracks though.

I say Work with what you got, I like your setup with the log truck and trailer.

Jdwoody

I love it! I have been contemplating trying to pick up some small tracts while I'm not busy with dirt work and sandblasting. I have an ASV RC100 skid steer and a Ford F700 dump that have long earned their keep. Working wood from stump to finished project has always been an interest of mine.  I did cut some pine pulp off of my own place and it didn't bring much. Although I did sell it to a stockpiling yard to avoid the big mill and their insurance requirements. How many cords and or tons can you haul with your setup if you don't mind me asking?
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp
Alaskan Mill (hope to change this soon!)

4x4American

OfftheBeatenPath, the truckers must love how organized your header is.  I would love to buy logs from you if you were nearby.

smiley_thumbsup
Boy, back in my day..

DGK

Quote from: Jeff on October 23, 2016, 12:35:36 PM
Do you happen to need a Website? I built a website for a guy, bought the name www.bobcatlogging.com for him, and he never paid me. I have a ready built website that all I need to do is customize the text  for a new Clint and they have a website quick!

Thanks for the offer Jeff, but not at this time. I sell primarily wholesale only to the local market so no website required.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

DGK

Quote from: Jdwoody on October 24, 2016, 09:35:40 PM
I love it! I have been contemplating trying to pick up some small tracts while I'm not busy with dirt work and sandblasting. I have an ASV RC100 skid steer and a Ford F700 dump that have long earned their keep. Working wood from stump to finished project has always been an interest of mine.  I did cut some pine pulp off of my own place and it didn't bring much. Although I did sell it to a stockpiling yard to avoid the big mill and their insurance requirements. How many cords and or tons can you haul with your setup if you don't mind me asking?

The F700 that I have has a GVWR of 28K and is 14K empty so that leaves me 14K of payload on the truck. I hauled some Sitka Spruce from Haines Alaska last week with just the truck, no trailer,  that scaled out to 1700 bf Scribner. When I went over the scales, I was 28,600. Here in the Yukon, I can legally cross the scales with a single axle truck up to 36K. When hauling the trailer behind, I am registered for 45K. If my math is correct, I should be able to haul between 3000-3200 bf of Sitka Spruce with both the truck & trailer. The local small wood that I am cutting is really heavy. 1500 board feet or a little over 3 cords is a good load on the truck.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

starmac

DGK, that wouldn't be your mill down at Otter creek or maybe Otter Falls would it?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Jdwoody

Wow your truck is a good bit heavier than mine. I'm at 11600# with me and a near full tank of fuel. Is your truck a diesel with air brakes? I'm registered for 28k on the truck or 56k combo although there is no way I would ever go that heavy with a single axle and hydraulic brakes.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp

DGK

Quote from: Jdwoody on October 25, 2016, 08:19:10 PM
Wow your truck is a good bit heavier than mine. I'm at 11600# with me and a near full tank of fuel. Is your truck a diesel with air brakes? I'm registered for 28k on the truck or 56k combo although there is no way I would ever go that heavy with a single axle and hydraulic brakes.

The truck has a hoist deck which I believe adds a fair amount of weight. The logging bunks, tire chains, tie down rigging, chainsaws, etc are all included in the weight calculations. The truck has the 6.6l Ford diesel and the Lucas Girling hydraulic brakes.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

DGK

Quote from: starmac on October 25, 2016, 05:14:14 PM
DGK, that wouldn't be your mill down at Otter creek or maybe Otter Falls would it?

Hi Starmac, I am in Whitehorse. There is Dimok Timber adjacent to Otter Falls (which is the larger mill yard), as well as a new guy with an LT28 somewhere in that same area.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

starmac

I used to get through that area on a regular basis, but that was several years ago, I did go through a couple of months ago, but was on a mission,1100 miles down and 1100 miles back in 47 hours. There just wasn't much time for sight seeing. lol

I did hear last spring that a huge logging sale had been let out at Haines, but never heard who was the logger on it or any other info on it, should check into it.

starmac

I know a guy here that runs a successfel small logging operation full time with a bobcat.
He does not do and limbing with it, but does do his skidding and loading with it, and keeps a faller and another guy doing the limbing busy.
He does use a dozer (450) for road building to his sales and really needs a bigger one for that.

He just hauls short logs (16')on a single axle, but the bobcat works well for him with his size operation

Jdwoody

Quote from: DGK on October 26, 2016, 12:43:17 AM
Quote from: Jdwoody on October 25, 2016, 08:19:10 PM

The truck has a hoist deck which I believe adds a fair amount of weight. The logging bunks, tire chains, tie down rigging, chainsaws, etc are all included in the weight calculations. The truck has the 6.6l Ford diesel and the Lucas Girling hydraulic brakes.

The 6.6 probably adds a lot of weight over my 429. I wish I had diesel power at times but I average 7.2 mph loaded so I can live with it.
06 Asv Rc 100
03 Bobcat 322
94 f350 Winch Truck
Stihl MS 260
Husky 394 Xp

starmac

DG, when you are talking weights, are you going by pounds or KG's or whatever it is that is used over there?

DGK

All weights in Canadian pounds. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

starmac

I have not paid a lot of attention to what is legal here for a single axle, but we should be able to gross 33.5 thousand pounds on a single axle.

I tried to convert canadian kg's to pounds, but your 36k figure came out to over 77 thousand pounds, obviously I did something wrong. lol

I never had to worry about weights when hauling from down south, as anytime I was legal in the lower 48, I was more than legal in Canada or Alaska, except when pulling a spread or during weight restrictions.

western Canada only allowed us the weight for one axle on a spread, which was 20,000 us pounds, I would assume that that is what you can legally do with the rear axle oon a single axle truck, at least in BC.

DGK

Hi Starmac,

In the Yukon, we are allowed 22,000 pounds (10,000 kg) on a rear single axle and 13,200 pounds (6000 kg) on the front.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

starmac

Ok, we are close, If I understand it right we are allowed 20 on the rear and 13.5 on the front, even more if it happenned to have a 16 or 20,000 pound steer and the right tires, but I know of no single axles built like that.
On tamdens it is 38 and 13.5 for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!