iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scored (again) 0-56 Magnum...

Started by islandlogger, January 26, 2012, 07:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandlogger

Well...this seems to be my season for scoring good older saws!! First I got ahold of that 0-38 Super a bit ago and she's a wood biter!! And then today...a client got ahold of me that had some balance due on a job I did a bit ago...well...I had forgot all about it! God bless honest clients!! At any rate, I know them fairly well and know they are hurtin for money right now so I asked how they wanted to deal with it...prompt answer was "Are you interested in a saw..?" I said "well could be, I'll have a look at what you got..." by golly, a fine speciman of a 0-56 Mag was what they had! It belonged to one of the clients dad who bought it brand new, cut 2 cord of wood with it and "put it away cause it were to danged heavy!" been sitting in the garage ever since....I brought it home, went thru it and threw in a fresh plug and fuel and Ka-zingooo she flares up like a bat outa hell!! I think the balance they owed me was only in the $300 area, and seeing as how I had forgot about it but they wanted to make right...I think I came out ok! Wonder where my next saw is goin to fall from....??  :D

Safe

islandlogger

tcrew

Quote from: islandlogger on January 26, 2012, 07:24:57 PM
Well...this seems to be my season for scoring good older saws!! First I got ahold of that 0-38 Super a bit ago and she's a wood biter!! And then today...a client got ahold of me that had some balance due on a job I did a bit ago...well...I had forgot all about it! God bless honest clients!! At any rate, I know them fairly well and know they are hurtin for money right now so I asked how they wanted to deal with it...prompt answer was "Are you interested in a saw..?" I said "well could be, I'll have a look at what you got..." by golly, a fine speciman of a 0-56 Mag was what they had! It belonged to one of the clients dad who bought it brand new, cut 2 cord of wood with it and "put it away cause it were to danged heavy!" been sitting in the garage ever since....I brought it home, went thru it and threw in a fresh plug and fuel and Ka-zingooo she flares up like a bat outa hell!! I think the balance they owed me was only in the $300 area, and seeing as how I had forgot about it but they wanted to make right...I think I came out ok! Wonder where my next saw is goin to fall from....??  :D

Safe

islandlogger
I have a 038av super and its a awesome saw. But how u scored that 056 mag is neat. Good story..Good 2 hear..
Rick
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

T Welsh

I had a 056 mag years ago when I first started out in the tree biz,it had tons of torque and never let me down.I had my truck broken into and all the saws and equipment where stolen. I miss that saw,and if I ever come across one again I will buy it in a heart beat. Tim

lumberjack48

The only problem i had with a 056 are the rewind screws and case coming lose. I would check all the screws on it before taking out in the wood pile.
The Ole 056 is a power house, it was a good score.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

I think I've seen one 056 in my lifetime and only one 038 super for that matter .Of the 038's it seems the av's and mags were more prominent .

islandlogger

I've gone thru the saw now top to bottom....it's like it was just preserved in time juat awaitin it's next owner and ready to show what she's got! Everything is tight as can be and even the fuel lines etc are in excellent shape. Going to put it thru the paces today, got a big ol pile of ginormous White Fir Butt logs that had to much defect for the mill but will burn well enough in the stove...in my opionion that's where these saws shined...BIG bucking jobs....just crank the throttle n let that torque go for it and the weight of the saw work her way on thru! I'm a sucker for these older models....the 041 and 056 were shiners in their time! Hard to find them in good shape anymore so I'm pleased how this worked out....rather a honor to heft a saw thats NOT made out of plastic and still runs like the day it came off the shelf...just plain old school power and built for by gawd cuttin!! Yee-haw, time to "play"  8)

Have a great weekend everybody!!

-islandlogger

islandlogger

Well, I started out with good intentions to buck up all that White Fir...got side tracked tagging some Western Reds I had been planning to harvest for a buyer....shoot....figured why not make a few bucks on a Saturday and put the 0-56 thru the paces at the same time...?? So, that's what I did and dang it all did I have a heck of a good time!! That 56 is a screamer for sure, loved using it bucking them big arsed diameter "bells" off the Western Reds, it was easy enough to use for the felling since the trees were big enough (five at average 42 dbh) and like a fool I had just had to try and see how it was to limb with it...which was fine...for a little while....then I switched over to the 460  :D
Over all review, great saw, very cool old school iron, heavy but chews wood like a hungary old bastard...it will for sure find SOME place of use in my line up...

What a fun Saturday  8)

islandlogger

mad murdock

That 056 be sportin' a good sized bar eh? SOunds like you had a good time!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!