iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strawberry Fields Forever

Started by Jeff, July 02, 2008, 11:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've had that song in my head all evening after Tammy and Me (and Ice's) discovery this afternoon. We got a chance to come up north for the 4th, so today, we decided to go pudding stone hunting again. On the way to our hunting grounds, we discovered the biggest wild strawberry patch I have ever saw. It covers many many acres. I'm guessing the frequent rains have something to do with the abundance of the berries. It was rainy and the skeeters were horrible, so we only picked and ate. Tomorrow, if its nice, I aim to pick at least enough to make Jelly. I'm glad its pretty open here as plenty of view to stay clear of the inevitable bears.  I think Icey must be part Bear. She grazed on berries like one. She must have ate a couple hundred. She didnt want to leave em!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bow Saw

That is an impressive strawberry field!  8) The wild strawberries in Maine are a light shade of pink now, I guess they aren't as ripe yet do to the fact that we are a bit more north than Michigan.  ;D  The squirrels come check out the strawberry patch frequently at this time, waiting for a juicy red berry. :D  I've left them peanuts in the meantime.
Mrs. BowSaw

TexasTimbers

Wow that is the biggest I ever saw too since I have never seen one in the wild that I can remember. Now it's in my head. Better go play it . . . Let me take you down cause I'm going to. . . . .
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

The U.P is a beautiful place to be. Caught these shots after leaving the strawberries and pudding stone hunting grounds behind.

Bow Saw

They say a photo doesn't do justice to the actual beauty of nature. ;)

But short of being there, it is better than nothing! Plus you get to recall
that memory (when viewing these pictures in your elder years), or share
that special place with family & friends.  ;D

Have you considered publishing a picture book?  There is a good market for children's books/literature. I think kids & their parents would enjoy your photography.

Mrs. BowSaw

OneWithWood

Mmmmmmm

After eating wild strawberries the store bought or garden varieties just don't pass muster. 

What a find  8)

...nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about, strawberry fields forever....
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

There will be Wild Strawberry Jam for the Pig Roast Morning Breakfast. Tammy and I both have pruned up fingers from cleaning the little bitty things.
i'll post photos later tonight maybe gotta go get some jars.   :)

Roxie

No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Say when

Jeff

sawguy21

Just had a bowl of fresh strawberries and ice cream plunked in front of me as I was looking at the picture of Jeff slaving. MMMMmmmm
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

I get excited when I find a patch 20 feet around.That's a lot.Looks like an old gravel pit they are growing in?Nice pictures.By the way,you look a lot differant now with all of the weight you have lost.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

That is a lot of picking and stemming bub. I have seen a few ripe since last week and eat one once in awhile. What I used to do when I was crazy enough to pick them was use my thumb nail and stem them right on the vine, so it's done and over with in one pluck.  :D

Where is the next thread where Jeff takes the fork and mashes a big cereal bowl full for dessert? Mmmmm... all that sweet nature's juice, maybe some dog drool mixed in ;) , after all that hard labour with his knees on that gravelly/stony ground.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

Had to dig out the glasses for this  eh eh.

I once showed our old dog Casey wild blue berries up at Raco. She would mow them down faster than me. ;)

Will says the bugs a bad at Raco, that is in the sand plains. I can just imagine how thick they are down at the cabin. :o

SwampDonkey

I'll bet the no-see-ums are bad in that sand amongst a little wild grass covered in heavy dew in the mornings. Then the sand fleas when the sun gets bright and hot, they will be jumping all over and biting your ankles. They can jump knee high. Check the poor old dog over for 'real fleas', they like sand to it seems.  Sorry to taint the thread. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: Reddog on July 04, 2008, 02:01:21 PM
Had to dig out the glasses for this  eh?

Ya noticed that eh? :D

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 04, 2008, 01:15:51 PM
after all that hard labour with his knees on that gravelly/stony ground.  ;D :D

Here's the reward for that.  :)

SwampDonkey

Good stuff. Mom has been stewing and freezing berries all day as dad picks them from the garden. I know, no comparison. ;)

Ron Scott

Well Done! A successful trip.
~Ron

OneWithWood

All that hard work just for us.  :)

You da man, boss  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!