iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree with a lot of dead branches

Started by BenGill, February 10, 2014, 06:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenGill

So Ive got a mulberry in my front yard with a decent portion of its branches dead. All of the dead branches are all connected by a couple central branches. I very much need to cut off these problem branches don't know if its going to keep the tree alive but I've got to do it either way. Will getting them cut sooner rather than later make any difference in whether or not the tree will live?

ET

Hi BenGill; i have a very large twin stemmed mullberry in my yard that needs trimmed of its dead, hanging branches every spring. Mulberry i believe is very hardy and can take alot of trimming. I would think trimming it any way you wish would be fine. Ps i have a family of fox squirrels living in mine, ive been feeding them this hard winter. I put out some corn, knock on the tree, and here they come out. Love it.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

BuckeyeAaron

Cutting dead, diseased, or damaged limbs as soon as possible is always advisable.  This will prevent the decay from spreading to healthy, live wood.  Where you need to exercise caution is if you start to prune live wood.  I've always heard no more than one third of the canopy volume at one time as a general rule of thumb.  However, I know many that think that is too aggressive.  If you find you are dealing with a lot of live wood that also needs to go it would be best to stage the reductions over the course of 2 to 3 years. 
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

Thank You Sponsors!