iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The no name loader

Started by yukon cornelius, March 30, 2017, 10:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

It has been a while but the no name loader is home and getting much needed service.

This is a 4wheel drive hydrostatic drive with hydraulic brakes. Ford 192 from 1976 (appears original). Rockwell axles with parts matching 2.5 ton m35 military truck. Its original color was orange.

To start with the brake master cylinder was froze. Since I don't want to chase problems down the line and I don't want to ride this down the mountain side uncontrolled, I got new wheel cylinders as well.

Next is the steer axle had sloppy kingpins beyond just replacing bushings so new kingpin caps with bushings are in order.

Since I am there and it needs them new knuckle boots are getting replaced. Why not get new axle seals too?

All hydraulic hoses were rough shape so added that to it.

The engine runs nice and smooth but the hydro transmission iis bleeding from the bell housing so out comes the motor. If the motor is out it should probably get resealed. Oil pan, rear main, timing chain and front main to start.

Next is going to be cylinder seals. Power steering drips pretty bad and 2 lift cylinders are oily.

This is going to be a great piece of equipment when finished. Very much needed 

around here  8)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: yukon cornelius on March 30, 2017, 10:36:20 AM
It has been a while but the no name loader is home and getting much needed service.

This is a 4wheel drive hydrostatic drive with hydraulic brakes. Ford 192 from 1976 (appears original). Rockwell axles with parts matching 2.5 ton m35 military truck. Its original color was orange.

To start with the brake master cylinder was froze. Since I don't want to chase problems down the line and I don't want to ride this down the mountain side uncontrolled, I got new wheel cylinders as well.

Next is the steer axle had sloppy kingpins beyond just replacing bushings so new kingpin caps with bushings are in order.

Since I am there and it needs them new knuckle boots are getting replaced. Why not get new axle seals too?

All hydraulic hoses were rough shape so added that to it.

The engine runs nice and smooth but the hydro transmission iis bleeding from the bell housing so out comes the motor. If the motor is out it should probably get resealed. Oil pan, rear main, timing chain and front main to start.

Next is going to be cylinder seals. Power steering drips pretty bad and 2 lift cylinders are oily.

This is going to be a great piece of equipment when finished. Very much needed 

around here  8)

By the time you get all that fixed will it be any cheaper than if you had bought something in better condition to begin with? 

yukon cornelius

An all wheel drive loader of this size in this area is easily more than $5000. Including purchasing the machine, and having already purchased all except one lift cylinder seal and transmission seal ( I estimate both to be under $20 each) I will have just under $1500. Right now I have $1150 in it. I cannot buy a running 8n Ford for that.

thecfarm

Bucket looks good on it. I must say,it does look odd, But I bet it works just fine.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: thecfarm on March 30, 2017, 01:18:12 PM
Bucket looks good on it. I must say,it does look odd, But I bet it works just fine.  :)
That is actually a really nice bucket set up - self-leveling!  Looks like a 4 wheels are the same size?  Probably used in a material yard rather than digging at a construction site.  I wouldn't send it away ;)

I bought my Davis Little Monster for $1,500 (IIRC) and spent another $1,000 on hoses and a couple cylinder kits.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: yukon cornelius on March 30, 2017, 11:45:33 AM
I cannot buy a running 8n Ford for that.

Glad to hear you say that, I'm getting ready to fix up my 8N to sell...

Looks like your in a good project, good luck.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sandhills

You didn't/aren't going wrong, 5000 wouldn't buy much of any type loader here unless you had to mount it on a tractor when you got it home  ;).  I'm still jealous though  ;D.

yukon cornelius

I was able to get my lift cylinder seals and packing today. It ended up being $15 and some change and the shop put it together for me. The transmission front seal is all that is left to find. I need to pull the motor out for that. Maybe this weekend I can real progress. I have so many projects for this thing!

All wheels and tires ate the same. 14 17.5 they all hold air but the air is starting to she through  ;D     I found a new set of 14 ply for $1000 for 4 including the shipping. I think I will wait a little while on those unless they give up. I still have a mobile dimension sawmill to rebuild.  :)

coxy

could you take a few more pics of the beast please

thecfarm

I would like more pictures too.
Any tubes in the tires? If the tires look good,put the tubes in.
On my tractors,soon as I have problems with the front tires,I put tubes in them. Problems with tires holding air is over. I myself like tubes,I work mine in the woods,and one rock could make the tire flex and look the bead.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

Today the motor is coming out. The main hydraulic pump has bad bearings so I will be looking for tat today as soon as I can get to the  trans. seal.

Here is the rear axle knuckle and one of the new kingpin bushing plates

coxy

why is BB in a hoodie  is it cold over there :D :)

TKehl

Have you thought about welding those wheel centers into some skid steer wheels?  Used skid steer tires are pretty cheap and widely available.  We have some spares you could borrow if you want to check fitment around the axles.  Looks like you have clearance.

If you want to stick with 17.5s, Cooks may have some used ones.  Just an odd size from my experience and dad is a tire man.   ;)

I will say I saw some 17.5 tires for sale local in the last couple days.  Didn't look very hard, so width may be wrong.  Just looked hard enough to say, "huh, those are odd".   :D  Maybe LOZ CL in farm and garden???
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

yukon cornelius

It has been cold and rainy here today. Tomorrow is back warm though. I didn't make it to get the trans. seal or pump bearing today.

I had thought about going to a 14 16.5. Weldi g a new center would be an option. I will put some thought into that. I think they would clear OK.

yukon cornelius

The motor is out with some engineering  ;D

Transmission seal is out and the pump bearing is out. Tomorrow I get the engine gaskets I ordered and will try to find to get those last few parts. 

Peter Drouin

Coming along well,  8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

yukon cornelius

Transmission seal in and oil pan gasket ready. Anyone have any insight on a 192 ford rear main seal install? It appears I would need to drop the rear main cap. If that is true, I may wait. It isn't leaking. It only took about 45 minutes to pull the motor and that was with the hydraulic pump stuck on the crank. I only got to work until 10:30 am because of a lp gas live burn training at the fire house. Tomorrow between rain showers I will see what else I can do.

yukon cornelius

The motor is back in and hoses are changed. On to the axles while I wait on the hydraulic pump seal. I ended up with the wrong axle seals so I got them ordered. The dust boots fit good now wait for parts...

yukon cornelius

I worked hard on the loader today but after hearing about Andy White, I don't feel like sharing what I did. God bless you all!  :'(

Ox

I've been following you quietly.  I enjoy this project of yours and you're doing a good job.  What was your question about the rear main seal?  What style is it?  Rope, 2 piece, single ring?  I'm guessing 2 piece.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

yukon cornelius

My question about the seal was if I had to pull the mains to install it. It didn't show signs of leaks so I decided to pass. I have it and didn't open the box to see what style.

Well here it is all together and moving under its own power. I didn't take a lot of pics yesterday because it was a stretch to get it done. 

Magicman

Oh wow Larry, what a victory and reward for your labors.  OK, BB too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Man,those loaders arms still look odd to me. But it works,that is all that matters. Much better than a shovel.  ;D

Delawhere Jack

You seem to have all the wrenching work moving along, can't offer much there. But since it has no name, I suggest Jimminy, cause it sort of looks like a cricket.  :D

yukon cornelius

It does look like a cricket haha! I was thinking....( wait for it) with no name on it, I would be open to sponsors  ;D for only $500 plus the cost of having a sticker made, your name or company could reach 5s maybe 10s of people year.  ;D  ;D  good idea huh?

Just kidding  :)

Thank You Sponsors!