iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big chestnut oak

Started by Birchwood Logging, June 03, 2015, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

That's a nice tree! It's fun to cut stuff that size every once in a while!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mills

Birchwood Logging,

Do you have any luck selling chestnut oak as veneer or stave? It's probably a 60/40 shot around here.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: mills on June 06, 2015, 05:56:14 AM
Birchwood Logging,

Do you have any luck selling chestnut oak as veneer or stave? It's probably a 60/40 shot around here.
my buyer will stave or panel them, seldom veneer but hot as white oak been he prolly will now.

timberlinetree

I not some tree hugger but sometimes I think that if they made it this far, and its the only one left let it live.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandsawmill14

a lot of time  leaving them doesnt work out so well i cut some of my own timber about 10 yrs go and only cut 1 r/o that was over 48" because it was damaging and left everything else from about 40" up last count i had lost 11   4 blew down 3 lightning strikes  and 4 had the tops broke out during a storm :'( those old big trees dont seem to fair well after timber is cut around them around here anyway
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

scsmith42

Quote from: mills on June 06, 2015, 05:56:14 AM
Birchwood Logging,

Chestnut oak is usually not suitable for the stave market because of it's open pores.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mills

Yeah, here in western KY most chestnut oak grows in bottom ground or along a seep. General rule is the higher the ground, the tighter the grain.

WDH

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 07, 2015, 03:15:13 PM
Chestnut oak is usually not suitable for the stave market because of it's open pores.

Right!  Unlike most in the white oak group, the pores of chestnut oak have limited tyloses. A barrel need tyloses  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Birchwood Logging

The mill I sell to quarter saws it they pay $1.20 a foot for number 1
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Thank You Sponsors!