iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last Trip

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 03, 2005, 05:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Went on my LAST TRIP to the great white North Country, yesterday. Went to see Ellmoe and pick-up a Whack of Cypress Heart. Left there and went to Walterboro, South Carolina. Temp was in the high 40's at 9 PM last night.

During the night, Ed got up and put the heater on "Super Nuke".  ::) ::) What a joke  ::) ::). Pulled on ALL the covers and toughed it out. This morning, it was below 30°  :o :o :o :o :o  FROST was heavy enough the wiper blades just skated right over the stuff.  :o :o :o :o :o

Pulled outta the Motel and proceeded to near Charleston, to make the delivery. Met the guys ,but,  the boards was so slick, we had trouble gettin the stack started. FINALLY got the Whack of Lumber unloaded, frost bit fingers and all.  :o :o :o :o :o

Put the Dodge heater on FULL BLOW, but, the gauge didn't get above 138°, until we got 2 hours South.

Stopped in Shoney's (Tom), and had 2 heapin plates of Southern Style Home Fries, Red Eye Gravy, Cat Heads, and GRITS, cooked to perfection, along with Country Ham and Eggs and a few strips of Bacon, to hold us down into the seats. COFFEE was terrible, (now that I got used to REAL coffee), but, it warmed the innards sufficiently.

Got on the Hwy and put the Hammer down, and headed for WARM weather.
  Got home 6½ hours later, from near Charleston. Home, it's 70°.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

I know you don't particualarly like the winter weather up here, but I sincerely hope it wasn't really your last trip north.  I'm hopeful that there will be some reason to coax you back up north of the MD even if it is from CR.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Buzz-sawyer

SHOOT
I bet if Kirk and I are are hunting or scouting ALASKA ....ole  prospector would be hoppin on up for that yellow stone 8) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

crtreedude

I figure FDH and I will have to show up to the Piggy Roast just to share lies - I mean stories. I'll kidnap him and bring him back up there.

If it is the middle of summer we should be okay. And it is far enough away from possible grits contamination...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Lo Siento, Alfredo. I'm packin Grits, Cornbread flour and a secret ingredient in my bag.  ;) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

That's Don Fred amigo...

Heraldo, no le permite lagarto aqui!

OneWithWood

If'n you boys come up to the piggy roast I will alert the border patrol to let any amount of grits into the country.
If'n you bring some langinista (not sure of that there spelling, it is a sausage I had in the Yucatan that was ex-ce-lent) I will personally buy you your favorite beverage at the roasterino 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Lizard ???????????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

OneWithWood,

Are you saying we could get special treatment with a Chorizo  ???

(You probably don't know this, but a chorizo (saus(age) is another name for a bribe.  :D )

Nope, that would be lagarcito here - think a little bigger (okay, a LOT bigger)

Fla._Deadheader

That's what MY Dictionary says ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

:D :D :D  Youse guys are too much!  Tweren't for Hector, the both of ya would starve to death down there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

We got a scheme all werked out fer Hector's benefit. We's gonna talk Espanol, me and "Don" Fred  ::), and no matter how bad it gets, we are just gonna keep on talkin, like we understand each other. Outta drive Hector nertz  ::) ;D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

DanG,

There is the "proper" word - and then there is the right one. For example, I suspect if you were to see a alligator in your lawn, you wouldn't say - "alligator", you would say "GATOR" or some other phrase.

In the campo (country side) there are lots of these phrases and since some of them don't have a lot of education - it is the ONLY word they know.

You don't want someone to yell "Lagarto!" at you and be looking for a cute little gecko.  ::)

Harold,

You mean we actually understand each other in English?  :o

Fla._Deadheader

Nope, never said that, Fred. That will just add to the confusion, EH ???  :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Faron

If I see an alligator on my lawn, whatever I say won't be printable here! :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Don P

QuoteIf I see an alligator on my lawn, whatever I say won't be printable here!

Scream like a girl, its universally understood and brings help from all corners, or so I've heard  ;) ;D

ellmoe

Harold,

Glad you made it there and back OK. You and Ed should have gotten real friendly with that lumber after hand loading and unloading. Was that lighter colored heart OK with your customer?
  I guess you'll be heading south in a few hours. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

sawguy21

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 03, 2005, 05:13:12 PM

During the night, Ed got up and put the heater on "Super Nuke".  ::) ::) What a joke  ::) ::). Pulled on ALL the covers and toughed it out. This morning, it was below 30°  :o :o :o :o :o  FROST was heavy enough the wiper blades just skated right over the stuff.  :o :o :o :o :o

Pulled outta the Motel and proceeded to near Charleston, to make the delivery. Met the guys ,but,  the boards was so slick, we had trouble gettin the stack started. FINALLY got the Whack of Lumber unloaded, frost bit fingers and all.  :o :o :o :o :o

Put the Dodge heater on FULL BLOW, but, the gauge didn't get above 138°, until we got 2 hours South.

Got on the Hwy and put the Hammer down, and headed for WARM weather.
  Got home 6½ hours later, from near Charleston. Home, it's 70°.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yep,ya  just gotta hate those cold S.C. winters :D :D :D :D :D. -27C here at the moment, just a nice nip to it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed_K

Don, not nesceraily, if I hear Rita scream, I know she's found a snake and I head the other way,  ;D.
Ed K

crtreedude

I just went to a zoo between Ciudad Quesada and Aquas Zarcas - very cool and well worth it, anyway, they had Lagartos, labeled and everything - and you wouldn't have wanted to pet one.  ::)

CHARLIE

Harold, you oughta come up here for a visit.  30°F ain't nothing. In fact it would be like a heat wave!  This morning here in New Richmond, Wisconsin it was below 0°F. It did warm up to +12°F though. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!