iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UV Protection - Logs during construction

Started by Wudman, May 17, 2007, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wudman

Can anyone recommend a product for UV protection during construction?  The logs are site harvested yellow poplar (going up green).  I've seen the adds for "Log Keeper".  Anyone have experrience with this product?  Any other recommendations?  Thanks.
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

logwalker

I use Cetol SRD to treat my green D.Fir timbers soon after cutting. It also keeps the checking to a minimum. It is a exterior finish product originally developed for the log home industry. As such it does have a visual impact on the wood. I have used it for years with good results. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

TW

Can anybody explain the reason for UV-protection please.

The ultraviolet rays need many yers to do anything with the surface of a log. Anthing that is bryshed or sprayed on during the building stage keeps the wood from drying properly.

I just cannot understand. ???

Loghead

I used Log Keeper on my last cabin but made the mistake of not doing all the logs I needed.
and could really tell the differance when it came time to put on the final finish a year and a half later.

lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

scgargoyle

Quote from: TW on May 18, 2007, 02:50:28 PM
Can anybody explain the reason for UV-protection please.

The ultraviolet rays need many yers to do anything with the surface of a log. Anthing that is bryshed or sprayed on during the building stage keeps the wood from drying properly.

I just cannot understand. ???
Maybe that's true in Finland, but here in Florida, for example, wood will change color in a matter of days!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Wudman

Thanks for the response guys.  I may use the "Log Keeper" product.  My main concern was trying to preserve the color of my logs and prevent "major sanding efforts".  I'd planned on using an Osborne brush prior to final coating.....so I didn't want to have to remove a lot of surface material.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

TexasTimbers

I had settled on the Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane to protect my ERC siding, but have since read on several forums where after about a year the finish breaks down. My own personal tests, documented here on the FF have not made it halfway to a year yet but still look great in direct sunlight.
One thing those other finish forums and boating fourms where I read all this stated was that this breakdown occured in direct sunlight exposure. My siding will be under the protection of a wrap-around porch with little direct sunlight except on the bottom 1/3 of the south wall only in the winter months, so hopefully I will mnmot suffer such a breakdown at least not within about a years time.

These other products y'all are discussing have me curious too though. I didn't think to look toward the log home industry.

What I did do, is call up the New York Yatch Club and talk to a guy who referred me to a product that he said was "The absolute best 2 part UV protection on the planet!" So I called the manufacturer and told him what I wanted to use it for. i actually got to talk to one of the chemist for that cxompany who usually is not available for public access but i just got lucky and he talked to me. WAY over my head, but he said yes he could gurantee their product would prevent the ERC from turning within probably a 10 year period. The only drawback was that the price was like - ahem - $150 for a one quart kit! :o

He said "Yeah these yatch owners don't much care about costs on something like this when it comes to protecting their Mahogany and Teak. I guess if you can spend 10 million on a boat, another $20K for UV protection is no big leap. ;D

Off hte subject a little, but I said "While I have you on the phone . . . ." and I aksed him about keeping the Osage Orange yellow. Would his product work. He said he believes it would work far better than any of the stuff I tried but since he was not real familiar with thtat species I should just buy a kit and try it. ::) Okay. Who wants to go in halfsies with me to try this stuff? :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!