iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do I need to dry my Redwood

Started by Ernie, August 25, 2008, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

We want to build some hot tubs using redwood that we have growing on our bit of dirt.  What we need to know is  Do we need to dry the redwood before we use it or, since it will be wet anyway, can we get away with it straight off the mill.  This is the Logosol link where I got the hot tub instructions http://www.logosol.com/_customerservice/downloads/index.php
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

We use juniper right off of the stump and get away with it most of the time.

When I was little, water cisterns and water tanks were made from cypress.  The cypress was allowed to dry a little so that it would swell after construction and the tub was filled.  It would seal the seams that way.

I don't know where you are headed with the hot tub, but that is the only gem of info I could dig out of the cobwebs in my mind.  :)

Ianab

I dont know for sure, but I'm with Tom. I would air dry it for a while, then build the tub. That way the water will expand the wood again for a nice tight fit.

I think Redwood is a pretty fast drier, should be ready to use in a month or 2, if we ever get some sunny days.  bath_smiley

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Thanks guys that's sorta what I was thinking.  Cmon Ian, it was sunny for 15 mins today, at least on this side of the mountain
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

solidwoods

Machining wet wood can cause all kinds of problems.
I'd sticker it with 1.5" tall sticks, 2xs the board thickness between boards and on 3' long sticks, 30 days min 60 would be great.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!