iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl FS130 brush cutting (review)

Started by bmill, February 05, 2008, 07:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmill

I bought a Stihl FS 130 Trimmer/Brush Cutter a while back and thought I'd post a quick review in case anybody was considering one. Bottom line is that I'm very pleased with the this unit. I've been using the chisel tooth blade and it cuts 2" plus brush easily. This model is powered by the newer 4 stroke, I'm very impressed with the torque. Starts easy and I get decent run time on a tank of fuel. I store it in a heated shed so I can't say how easy it starts if it gets cold soaked. I've got about 60 hrs on it so far.  This is the bicycle handle model and the controls are well thought out. Plenty of adjustments so it will fit about anybody. An added side benefit that I discovered by accident is that it works wonders for de-limbing downed medium sized cedar trees. We use the cedars for a variety of projects, works like a champ.

About the only downside is the harness that comes with it. It takes a while to adjust it properly. I'm going to order a separate one for my wife as she uses it too. Too much hassle re-adjusting it for different people. The FS130 was a bit pricey, but it works great.

I was going to buy a larger model but my dealer said this would do everything I wanted. First time he ever talked me into spending less money!

1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

SwampDonkey

Get a Jonsered or Husky harness. Those Stihl brush cutter harnesses will rub the hide off ya if you use them enough. Feels like your in the ring with a wrestler with a full Neilson hold on ya. My crew uses the pro model FS550
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I've not found the Stihl harness to be a problem at all. Works great on my FS120, as does the FS120 (like the energizer bunny.........)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Well obviously you haven't used it (harness) enough.  ;D :D :D Even the dealers here are not impressed by them. The saw itself is great, it's not part of the argument. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

I use an FS250 and really like it. I don't mind wearing the harness, but rarely use it more than 1-2 days in a row. It is not easy to adjust, and gets twisted easily. I can see room for improvement. Plenty heavy duty though.

Erik

Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

My new one (harness) I bought in 2007 is falling apart after 10 hectare of thinning. I had it into the dealer once for re riveting and the pad that used to be leather on the previous years is now plastic and just about warn to nothing, the foam stuffing is peeking out everywhere. ;) My guys just get Jonersed and Husky harnesses when they replace the Stihl one. I'm getting a Jonsered harness this spring.

Quote from: ErikC on February 05, 2008, 08:55:06 PM
  I use an FS250 and really like it. I don't mind wearing the harness, but rarely use it more than 1-2 days in a row. It is not easy to adjust, and gets twisted easily. I can see room for improvement. Plenty heavy duty though.

Erik

How many were 8 hour days? ;)

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 05, 2008, 09:22:07 PM
...................... My guys just get Jonersed and Husky harnesses when they replace the Stihl one. I'm getting a Jonsered harness this spring.

SD
In the spirit of the Forum, just tell us how good the Jonersed and Husky ones are....... ::) ::) ;) ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

COLD_IRON

I used my FS130 today to clear an acre and a half of 5' tall grass and brush.  I got mine last year and it has worked flawlessly - lots of power and fairly light weight.  The vibration on the unit is also very low.

I haven't had any issues with the harness though.
MS 361 FS 80 FS130

Wrap Handles Long Bars and Skip Chain!

joe_indi

Quote from: bmill on February 05, 2008, 07:33:16 AM
  I'm going to order a separate one for my wife as she uses it too.   
Bmill,
You might find the Stihl "Comfort" harness more comfortable, especially for the wife.
Part No. 4134 710 9001.

The FS130 is torque y being a four stroke.In the Stihl brushcutter range, irrespective of two strokes and four strokes, I would place it between the FS 120 and FS 200.
But, the engine looks very much  like that of a Subaru Robin four stroke brushcutter.
Whether this is a coincidence or not I dont know.

Joe

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on February 05, 2008, 11:45:34 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 05, 2008, 09:22:07 PM
...................... My guys just get Jonersed and Husky harnesses when they replace the Stihl one. I'm getting a Jonsered harness this spring.

SD
In the spirit of the Forum, just tell us how good the Jonersed and Husky ones are....... ::) ::) ;) ;)

It has a much more rugged thigh pad were the harness clips to the saw. But, the Stihl harness has one major design thaw that may not be as much for the casual usual with a lighter weight saw. It's the tendency to pull the weight of the saw to one side, so it's not putting weight at your centre. It will give you back troubles that can be equated to the student coming and going to school with the weight of all those heavy books being carried to one side of his hip. The Jonsered and Husky put the weight on both shoulders and centres it. Also I find the nylon strap that joins to the thigh pad tears away on the Stihl.

cheers

ErikC

How many were 8 hour days ;)

Actually they were full 8 hour days. I'm not fond of running those machines, and prefer to get it over with. Harness or not they're hard work.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Nothing easy about thinning, that is for sure.  But, we enjoy it none-the-less. ;)

Stihl_Sam

If you are going to buy a bigger model I would suggest you get the Stihl FS 450 Clearing saw I own one and it is fantastic but at the same time a bit pricey again its got alot of adjustments and you can buy it in the plain 2stroke or the new 4 mix 4 stroke engine the only problem I've had with it was the spark plug but by all means if you can afford it buy one they will go forever if looked after

SwampDonkey

Just a few words:

Any professional thinning saw lasts up to 2 years when thinning professionally, most are hurting after 100 ac of cutting. A lot of fellows buy new every season and keep last years saw for parts. Don't pay more than $350 for a used professional saw, you don't know how well it was looked after. I've seen guys over the years get stung for $500-600 and the saw calves within a couple weeks. You only get 90 day warrantee on Pro saws brand new, not even a season of cutting. Well Echo has or had 1 year on theirs. They are louder machines than Husky and Stihl.

sawguy21

Quote from: joe_indi on February 06, 2008, 05:37:06 AM
Quote from: bmill on February 05, 2008, 07:33:16 AM
  I'm going to order a separate one for my wife as she uses it too.   
Bmill,
You might find the Stihl "Comfort" harness more comfortable, especially for the wife.
Part No. 4134 710 9001.

Joe

The one complaint I have had is it is uncomfortable on hot days.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 14, 2008, 09:44:57 PM
Just a few words:

Any professional thinning saw lasts up to 2 years when thinning professionally, most are hurting after 100 ha of cutting. A lot of fellows buy new every season and keep last years saw for parts. Don't pay more than $350 for a used professional saw, you don't know how well it was looked after. I've seen guys over the years get stung for $500-600 and the saw calves within a couple weeks. You only get 90 day warrantee on Pro saws brand new, not even a season of cutting. Well Echo has or had 1 year on theirs. They are louder machines than Husky and Stihl.

Swampy - that is interesting. We use Stihl saws pretty much everyday. And yes, they are 8 hour days - 5 days a week. Ours last considerably longer than 2 years it seems though and still work like new. One reason is probably that they don't cut a lot of brush, but grass. Secondly, every Saturday, without fail, they are taken apart, cleaned up like new and put back together. It makes a big difference. The workers are glad to take a couple of hours on Saturday and do it too - better than being back in the field I am sure.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Yup, cutting grass is a lot different than cutting trees and heavy brush.  :D :D

We clean our saw filters daily and sharpen on every tank, when taken apart they look like new when running Amzoil mix. The head/angle gear isn't suppose to be touched for a year with new grease. They changed the plug on the new saws so you have to find a special screw driver, there is no longer a square nut there. Too much grease and you ruin the seal.

paulpieter

Excellent discussion, very helpful, thank you.

-Pieter
Do the right thing and make things happen.

SwampDonkey

This season has come to an end for 2009. I was using my two old FS550 saws, each have been used 3 seasons now. My newest one I used most all season, but I took out the drive shaft, two older angle gears, two handle bars and an inch off the corner of the brush guard. I also have to look at the power unit this winter as it was making a rattling noise, so I slapped on my old power unit this October to finish out the season and replaced the air and fuel filters. Worked like a new saw actually. ;D  I tease the other fellas with other brands when I break a part, "too much horse power boys". :D What's hard on gears and drive shaft is big wood, beyond the size the saw was designed for. You can't treat a saw like a sythe and swing into a big stem without it eventually taking the drive out. :D Keep'm sharp, although near impossible in constant rocks. ::) Can't flat file the blades much more than twice, too much hook from the round file will introduce too much resistance. You'd be surprised the difference between a tiny notch in the tooth verses a shape like a cat's claw. That little notch will cut brush way faster. ;) A lot of bigger wood we got into had denser groupings of growth rings, making it harder to cut. Hardwood clumps are always hard on the guard, they will crack the corner by summer's end if your working the saw hard, rest assured.

John Mc

Swamp donkey -
Are you using the blades that look like a circular saw, or the ones that have chain saw chain wrapped around them? What do you see as the advantages of either? All I've used so far are the circular saw style.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

9" circular, cheap and low maintenance. I've never yet seen one of those chainsaw blades in the shops here in Canada, nor on anyone's saw. I don't see it on the Canadian site either. They must be for lighter models, but maybe not. An acre to an acre and a half a day in good cutting is all you'll be able to handle anyway, day in day out. Thicker stuff on difficult ground and 3/4 acre is as fast as you can mow'm down, constant swing'n. Some of that spruce ground is like pitching hay, it wants to dance on the spinning saw blade, similar with fir. It's like cutting tumble weeds with the green branches clear to the ground.

paulpieter

By chainsaw blade, I presume you mean the circular saw blade (csb) - chisel tooth compared to csb - scratcher tooth (as described in the catalog)?
Do the right thing and make things happen.

SwampDonkey

No, I've seen the one with the chainsaw chain mounted on it. Just seems like it would stretch as chains do, and come flying off near the end of use. I wouldn't want that thing to come whipping off a FS550. I bet the blade guard gets a bit of a thrashing when it starts to wear. I just checked Stihl USA and I see they have taken it off their accessory line. I think some in the forum have tried it, or have seen it in the US. We all use chisel tooth blades here and there are umpteen brands, all made in Sweden. Our FS550 Stihl saws are from Germany, stamped on the crank case.

beenthere

I have the blade with the chain on it, and like it a lot. Much better cutting than the solid toothed blade, or the one with the pointed teeth. Problem was moving up to a larger Stihl brush cutter, and the blade diameter was too large and wouldn't fit. I plan to get one that will fit.

Never had any problem with the chain stretching, and wore one down pretty good. The chain would have to "stretch" a whole lot to become loose enough to come off. 

This is the Beaver blade, and Manufacturers Supply is where they can be purchased.
http://www.mfgsupply.com/TrimmerBladesBeaver.html/mv_session_id=8gCjJXB8

south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

As beenthere said, the larger brush saws have a smaller cutout hole in the centre to mount the blade to the drive. Gotta watch which blade you leave the shop with, if you want it to fit. ;D

I'll show ya some day how to sharpen a chisel tooth. :D ;)

Thank You Sponsors!