iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guess I will settle for a 25 HP Kohler to repower my 92 LT40 HD

Started by RayMO, September 27, 2013, 10:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

Was wanting more horses but found a very nice 1996 25HP Kohler today with just 10 hours on it for $600.00 only an hour from home. With any luck I can be sawing tomorrow evening  8)
It has the larger shaft so will need a different bushing. It has the right size pulley on it but it is part of the centrifical clutch that came with it . Thought about trying it with the clutch but talked my self out of it. I like the way it is set up by Wood-Mizer .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

VictorH

Personally I would love an auto clutch on my mill.  No more pulling the clutch lever.  Depending on how much sawing you do that repetitive motion can start to cause issue with your rotocuff.  The guy I bought my mill from was only selling because he had rotocuff surgery and did not want to put the strain on it.  Just a thought.

drobertson

Might as well, the money is right, plenty of hp, I'd say go for it, what's the worse case scenario?    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

RayMO

It is at my shop now ;D. Has anyone run a mill with a centrifugal type clutch ? I like the idea but would loose my brake . Guess I could rig it up somehow. Not sure how long those type of clutches last with constant start and stop use ....

kderby

I have the gas 25hp and it does just fine.  I have never wished for more power.  I am about to install an auto-clutch...cheaper than the shoulder surgery.

Now Get  smiley_whip Milling!

losttheplot

Quote from: RayMO on September 27, 2013, 11:05:50 PM
Has anyone run a mill with a centrifugal type clutch ? I like the idea but would loose my brake . Guess I could rig it up somehow. Not sure how long those type of clutches last with constant start and stop use ....

My Norwood LM2000 has a centrifugal clutch on a 20 hp Honda, it works well.
The band stops moving pretty quick, I've never felt the need for a brake.

They last a long time, works just like a chainsaw.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

sawmillhand

keep us updated on how the motor does. I have a feeling that i will be changing mine out before to long.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

thecfarm

I have one on my Thomas. That is another reason why I brought it. I have shouder problems and even though I don't saw alot,I don't have to reach for something else every time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Ramo, I'd stay with the woodmizer clutch setup. Centrifugal clutch has lots of parts that can break. If it ain't there, it won't cause any problems. One thing to look out for. If the crank pulley sits higher or lower from the baseplate than the old engine, it's a problem. The belt guards won't fit properly. The guards are more than just a safety cover, they hold the drive belt in an oval shape when de-clutched. without them fitting properly, you will wear out drive belts in a hurry. I replace my original with a kawasaki, the shaft was an inch lower. I just put the original guards back in place, went through 2 drive belts before i figured out what was happening.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

grweldon

I have a 25HP Kohler (Command Pro) on my mill with an electic clutch.  I just recently started pushing my mill (TK 1400) to it's limits on SYP and while it does a great job, I could see where more power would be better.  For $600 I'd say you got a good deal and it will do a good job for you.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

RayMO

Waiting on the proper size browning pulley bushing so i can finish install. Decided to remove centrifugal clutch and stay with the Wood-Mizer system. I am 48 and have no shoulder problems at present or might have changed it over.

rimshot

I have not heard any complaints yet about the Kohler .  I was surprized to learn the newer ones are made in Mainland China.

rim
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

ladylake

Some Kohler's are made in China,( shame on them) I think the smaller ones.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RayMO

barbwire worth a hoot !  Second log was a 8' x 25" on small end ERC and the mill and new engine was sawing very well until I hit the barbwire . Always amazed at how often a customers logs were cut miles from any fences and still have fence wire in them lol .

I had squared it up at 17" and then took a 5" cant off and turned it up on edge to cut some 12" one by's and hit the wire on first one. About dark by then so will work around the wire tomorrow.

Most important is the fact that the engine is working well and has about the same power as the old Onan but the guvnor seems a bit less snappy than the Onan. A full day sawing and I will know more , Ray.

haywire woodlot

I ordered the 29 hp kohler from woodmizer earlier this week. Should be here around the end of October. I'll be sure to do a thread on the onan to kohler swap when it gets here.
Dave

Birchwood Logging

Just curious how many hours did you get out of the old Onan engine I have a 89 lt 40 super hyd that's going to need a engine before long it has a little over 5000 hours on it and has never been touched it's been a great little engine wish they still made them probably go back with electric but it still runs good just burns a little oil
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

RayMO

Onan only had 1,400 hours but a wrist pin came loose and scored the cylinder wall big time. The 25 Kohler is working great and just sips gas so far.

Thank You Sponsors!