iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 038 av magnum 2 question

Started by Birchwood Logging, December 01, 2013, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

I was at the flea market today and a older fellow had 2 sthil chainsaws for sale one was a old 045 av and the other was a 038 av magnum 2 doth was a little dirty and looked like they has sat for a long time I ask him how much he was wanting for them I was shocked when he said $15 a pice I nearly broke my arm getting the money out of my pocket both saws has good compression the fuel and oil was drained out of the 038 before it was stored I'm gonna try and get it running tomorrow. My question is the 038 magnum series 2 a pretty good saw and what is the difference between it and a regular 038
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Al_Smith

You have 3 models of the 038 .The Av of around 60 cc,the super around 68 I think and the mag of 72 cc's .Stroke is the same on all of them .Bore size av is 48 mm,super 50 and mag 52 mm .

The AV was all die cast aluminum alloy construction .The super and the mag had a high impact plastic handle .

The 038 mag was superceded by the 044 .It was still being made several years ago and sold as the MS 380 but not in north America .The 038 Mag is my personal favorite of any saw build by Stihl .

Birchwood Logging

Thanks for the great information so it should run about the as my 044. I took the saw with me to the job today put gas and oil in pulled it about 10 times and it fired right up and ran great haven't got a bar and chain for it yet will get one tomorrow and try it out in some wood I like this saw a lot the best $15 I ever spent. What would be the best size bar to run on it I was thinking a 20 or a 24
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

Al_Smith

For firewood a 20" most likely .It will handle a 32" if you need it .

I think in stock form it might have a leg up torque wise  on an 044 but the later will rev a little higher .It's a toss up .Both of them are good saws though .

ZeroJunk

Wow. How come I never run in to stuff like this.

Al_Smith

You just have to be at the right place,right time ,cash in hand.
That's why I don't get real exited paying so called fair market value for things . ;)

Dusty Rhodes

My Brother has an 038 Magnum,  they are a wood cutting beast. His sports a 20" bar. 

JohnG28

Quote from: ZeroJunk on December 02, 2013, 07:39:49 PM
Wow. How come I never run in to stuff like this.

Just saw an ad on CL other day, someone sold a nice looking Stihl 361 for $100!  :o
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!