iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw for Small Limbs and Brush

Started by Rhodemont, January 09, 2019, 01:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

My Husqvarna 350 finally crapped out.  That thing really cut for me.  I think it shook itself to death with that high rpm.  Had to tighten screws all the time, even finally used JB weld to hold the muffler bolts on.  I use  Stihl 039 and 362 for felling, bucking, and big limbs.  They get heavy for the smaller work and a shorter bar is easier to maneuver.  Overall I spend more time using the now deceased 350 on tops, small limbs of downed trees and clearing under growth.  What would be a good comparable to replace it.  Just went and looked at Stihl saws.  I do not log as a living, just enough to keep my sawmill busy on weekends which is still quite a bit of time with a saw in hand.  I figure the homeowner models are not going to hold up.  The professional models like 241 or 261  are $539 & $589.  Are they worth the expense at my level of use against the mid-range saws like the 201 at $399. (Not against other brands if they would be the best choice but it seems like Stihl is everywhere now with limited other makes at the area shops.)
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Inaotherlife

201 is six or seven hundred and it's every bit a pro saw.

Rhodemont

The MS 201 T C-M Tree Service Saw is $689.  The MS 201 C-em Mid-Range use Saw is $399.

lxskllr

I like echo for smaller saws. Not like I've been using one for a long period of time, but the performance/price is good, and they have a good reputation with people who have used them long term. No weird death instances, or  things like that. I paid $300 for my cs400, and it's paid for itself already. I could drop it in the trash now, and consider it money well spent.

I've settled myself into a groove where if I want light and cheap I buy echo, and if I want a big woodcutter, I'll get Stihl. Based on nothing more than limited experience, and intuition, I'm confident that Stihl(or Husqvarna as far as that goes)'s reputation and price is deserved on the pro saws, but not as confident in the value for their lesser saws. I get the feeling I'd be paying for a name, without the chops to back it up. As I said, it's just "feelings". Feelings and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee, but it's something to consider.

sawguy21

Bang for the buck, value for the dollar spent Echo is hard to beat. It is a good brand and with a little tweaking by a knowledgeable tuner will perform with the best of them.
I have tried using a chainsaw for clearing undergrowth, too lazy to go back to the shop for the brush cutter, and really don't recommend it. After the chain tried to amputate my lower leg destroyng itself in the process I smartened up and got the right tool for the job. I can understand why your saw shook itself to pieces, it was not designed to run at wot no or little load for long periods of time
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Inaotherlife

Quote from: Rhodemont on January 09, 2019, 06:27:42 PM
The MS 201 T C-M Tree Service Saw is $689.  The MS 201 C-em Mid-Range use Saw is $399.
If an MS 201 C-EM was $399, I would have bought one instead of the similar Echo CS-361P that I got on sale, 20% off, for $320.
The MS201CEM is $719.95. More expensive than the top handle version.
Here's the lowest price I've seen, $699.99. And that's with a 12" bar, upcharge for longer bars.

MS 201 C-E ? Stihl Professional Chainsaw - Richardson - Dallas

You must be thinking of the smaller MS 193 C-E, which is normally around $429.

I do recommend the Echo CS-361P if you can get one on sale though. Nice little saw and only 8.3 pounds.
One of the quickest revving Echo's you can buy. Most likely thanks to the stuffed crank design.

wild262

Quote from: Rhodemont on January 09, 2019, 01:46:07 PM
My Husqvarna 350 finally crapped out.  That thing really cut for me.  I think it shook itself to death with that high rpm.  Had to tighten screws all the time, even finally used JB weld to hold the muffler bolts on.  I use  Stihl 039 and 362 for felling, bucking, and big limbs.  They get heavy for the smaller work and a shorter bar is easier to maneuver.  Overall I spend more time using the now deceased 350 on tops, small limbs of downed trees and clearing under growth.  What would be a good comparable to replace it.  Just went and looked at Stihl saws.  I do not log as a living, just enough to keep my sawmill busy on weekends which is still quite a bit of time with a saw in hand.  I figure the homeowner models are not going to hold up.  The professional models like 241 or 261  are $539 & $589.  Are they worth the expense at my level of use against the mid-range saws like the 201 at $399. (Not against other brands if they would be the best choice but it seems like Stihl is everywhere now with limited other makes at the area shops.)

Your 350 had other issues going on there, esp. if it had that 45mm cyl.  Them had alot more vibration than the 44mm.          Anyway, I have a Echo 361P myself.  Love this little saw.  Runs very good RPMs, for an Echo.  Was told it was nothing more than a rear handled 355T, with same motor. I don't know about that, but I know you won't regret buying one.  As with all Echo's, it starts in 1-2 pulls.  Like it so much better than my rear handle 192 Stihl.  Worth every penny. :)

upnut

I run a Stihl 241 cutting firewood for myself and siblings, really like it. Wasn't looking for a pro when buying, just the smallest saw with a decompression valve to aid starting. After running a pro saw, with the improved anti-vibe, balance, and other user friendly features I will probably never go back to homeowners saws. Well worth the extra money up front for me, just for the fatigue factor. Of all the saws available for me to run, the 241 is used almost exclusively... Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Rhodemont

Inaotherlife- looks like I did copy down the prices in the wrong column.  the 4399 is for the 193 C-E.

Sawguy-  I have a lot of sweet pepper bush  and horse brier for under story.  I usually use the chain saw on the sweet pepper around a tree I am going to work on but if there is brier I either get hung up in it or go get the brush cutter.

Turns out there is a mower shop on other side of town that carriers Echo.  As Upnut points out I am tending toward the Stihl 241 but will go check out Echo in particular the 361P and see what they are all about.

hedgerow

I have a Echo CS-360T not a current model. I was like you and needed a smaller saw to use in my bucket lift and didn't want to break the bank. The bucket lift is just for personal usage. I have had the 360 for several years and its been a great saw. After having shoulder surgery last year I find my self using it more than ever. 

Inaotherlife

That 241 looks like a really nice saw.

I'd like to have one of those myself. Not that I need it. 

Rhodemont

Well,  I went to the Echo shop.  They did not have a 361P on the shelf.  Said they do not bring them in because they never sell any.  Huh, must be a Rhode Island thing.  So, I asked about the CS-2511T to check it out.  The guy says it is right in front of you.  Fooled me, I thought it was a toy or something.  He said they are selling more of them then anything else and it was the best thing Echo did.  Seems so small and light I am nervous but took the plunge and got one.  $400 even with an extra chain (no tax).  Have it on my lap right now.  My hand with a glove fits snug into the grip, do not know how you guys with a good size hand and heavy gloves would fit. Gosh it is light and easy to move around (5.4 lbs dry weight).  Ground is freezing up today and tomorrow so I plan to take down some white oak tomorrow and fire it up.

The shop guy and manual say 89 octane or higher gasoline and FD certified oil.  They gave me two of the small 2.6 containers to mix a gallon each.  I usually use Stihl oil to mix but do not see the the FD certified on the label?? 

lxskllr

I've got the 2511T on order. I could have really used it today. I intend on using the Stihl ultra oil I use in my other saws. I don't know what's on the label, but I trust it with my most expensive saws. Should be fine for the echo.

Inaotherlife

2511 is a nice little saw. Lot's of fun to use. Not in the class of a 35 or 40cc model for making lots of bigger cuts, but it'll do more than you'd think.
I have both a 12 and a 14 inch bar for mine. 
Have a 10 inch too, but don't like it and don't use it. The 10 is just a backup for the polesaw.

I've cut a few 8" logs with mine. Nice for pruning too. And works better for trimming hedges than most hedge trimmers.

Just don't forget that it's not a toy. You carry it around with your hand on or near the trigger all the time, and once when I was getting a little winded, even though the chain wasn't moving, I let the chain get a little too close to me while it was running and it instantly made me think what if.

Now I always try to take extra care with that little beast.
I still one hand it while holding loose limbs or branches, but always try to keep an awareness about myself when using it.

It's mostly a very easy to use and controllable saw though.

I love it.

Rhodemont

Dropped three big white oak today (*DanG gypsy moths).  Real nice saw logs and lots of firewood.  Ran 2 tanks in the new 2511T.  Really cuts the small stuff nice and I used it with one hand.  Without teeth you have to cut straight down so about 4 inch will be my limit.  Need to hold steady pressure which is tough with one hand or it will bounce without teeth to grip.  I can see I will use it a lot but it may be too big a jump down from the bigger saws for the 6 to 10 inch size limbs.  

Inaotherlife

You said you got an extra chain? Was it the VXL model?

Supposedly the chatter can be eliminated, or lessened, with a 91VXL045G chain.

I haven't tried one yet but plan on ordering one.

www.oregonproducts.com/en/versacutâ„¢-saw-chain%2c-12"/p/91vxl045g

sawguy21

Resist the temptation to operate with one hand, you need both to properly control the saw as you have discovered. You have no way of activating the brake should it bounce back toward fleshy parts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wild262

Will have to agree with SawGuy.  That model was meant for "in the tree use".   A lot of people  use them for ground limbing, but they are very dangerous for that.  I did as well many years ago, and had some very close calls.  I no longer do and sold the saw.  That's why I have a rear handle Stihl 192 C-E and a Echo 361P.  I'm not trying to be a smart a-s know it all, just hate to see you have an incident. ;)

lxskllr

I'm tenatively against one handing them. I think a more nuanced approach would be one hand it when there's no other decent option, and treat it like a special occurrence, with extra care. I'm especially not fond of holding wood and sawing at the same time. Too easy for things to get out of control. I think top handles are known for biting left hands.

edit:
BTW, Happy Birthday Sawguy!

Inaotherlife

Echo offers a bumper spike as an accessory for the 2511T.

I'd be more inclined to purchase the debris shield that goes over the starter cover though.

Thank You Sponsors!