iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540 AD top shaft tran question

Started by Decked, January 04, 2018, 10:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decked

the top shaft in the tranny  (we took the top plate off where the dipstick is ) has an adjustable gear ...meaning you can adjust front to back placement of that top gear...

why?  other that to keep the 2 gears aligned ?  once set. how could it move if the nuts didn't come loose??

THANKS!

Decked

Ah..figured it out..it's to move the gear to allow for towing the clunker out of the woods with a Timberjack..

Decked

We got most everything figured out..but..WHY would someone cut 'n cap the line off to the rear brakes? I realize they'd have to tear down the axle/diff. but...

Maine logger88

Hahahaha!

here's my 540b after I hauled it out of the woods with my timberjack lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

My guess is there is something was messed up in the rear brakes so rather than fix it they did that... the rear brakes are the ones you need the most while winching too. Could be as simple as riveting new pads on or there could be something frigged up with the pistons or seals. If the seals are bad it can over fill the diff.

Stoneyacrefarm

Guess you're the correct person to ask.
Which machine do you like better?
(Not at the current moment that is)  :D
When I was looking at skidders I almost bought a 540.
Ended up with a 240 jack.
So far so good.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

dnash

Our 640d came from the factory without any rear brakes. There is no mention of it in the service manual.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

lopet

Quote from: Decked on January 04, 2018, 09:13:22 PM
WHY would someone cut 'n cap the line off to the rear brakes?

Not sure how the JD setup is, but simply could be a leaking cylinder or caliper and if  you only have one brake fluid reservoir for front and rear by capping the line you at least have brakes at the front. Sometimes you think it's a temporary fix until  plans change.  ;D ;D
Yes I am guilty too, done that on a payloader once.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Maine logger88

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on January 05, 2018, 04:03:20 PM
Guess you're the correct person to ask.
Which machine do you like better?
(Not at the current moment that is)  :D
When I was looking at skidders I almost bought a 540.
Ended up with a 240 jack.
So far so good.
That is a old pic from a thread 3 or 4 years ago when my front axle housing broke off. As far as which I like better they both have there good and bad points and I like them both quite well! But if it came down to only being able to keep one of them I'd keep the timberjack for the fact it will pull wood for less money.

Decked

I'ran a Jack 380 for a while...I bought a 540A,,ran it 4 years till I could afford a NEW 540D.

Jacks are easier to get in 'n out of...540A has torque out the ass...but the 540D was the most operator-friendly one to operate. All the controls were very comfy to use.

Thank You Sponsors!