iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is what happens when you don't thin.

Started by Haleiwa, September 27, 2018, 04:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kanoak

You are absolutely right Swamp, paradise is now, not somewhere. Don't really want to ruin our image, but we have the same problems that are endemic to the states, as well as a few from the third world; a lot of locals, we call it brain drain,  move to the mainland to find greener pasture.
Aloha,
Kanoa

Ianab

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 30, 2018, 03:28:56 AMAn interesting part of the world. Who hasn't dreamed of going there? I don't think I'll make it, but I guess I'll make do on my own piece of paradise

You never know....

When I met up with Lil, we talked about "where would you go on a holiday?" I said "Some Tropical Island... "
Next thing I know I'm in Rarotonga. :D  

Then

"So, should we get married?"   

Only if I can be bare foot on a tropical Island Beach,,,,

Yup, Back to Raro... :D

To be fair Rarotonga isn't really anything like Hawaii, apart from being an Island in the Pacific. They have some cool rules, like you can't "buy" land. Only lease it.  And you can't build anything taller than a Coconut Tree. So there is no McDonalds / KFC, or huge resorts.  Makes it more like the Hawaii that people want to remember....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

Worse places to be then Raro Ian.

I've been getting back to this for a couple days, out in the weeds working you guys know the drill...

Those Eucalypts...  I mean there's 600 odd species of Eucalypt but those particular species you've mentioned as being a nuisance there... are highly valued as chip. Its about the density/ fibre length/ whatever other technical considerations but basicly they use those Euc species chips to blend with other sorts of woodchips to improve the properties of the finished product be it paper or fibreboard or whatever.

And Euc chip is doing good - demand is strong, prices are up, and no end to the good days in sight those as with anything in this industry whatever booms usually goes bust sooner or later.

$200  AUD/ BDMT is about $145 US per 2240lb dry ton. BDMT (Bone dry metric ton is the international chip unit, sorta like oil being sold by the barrel).

I know what I'd be doing with them.... attack... anything over 14" SED will go export log to China at around $0.40 USD/BF (based on what they're paying for the same species ex wharf here),(( EDIT: that is unscaled/ straight volune measure/defect and kerf allowance not deducted ))chip the rest for Japan or China... get a contract and go like blazes while the market is strong.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Riwaka

School probably would not be too happy if they received a multi million dollar bill for the expense of removing the gum trees.
Kamehameha Schools starts new search for harvest operator - West Hawaii Today

kanoak

Contract is now up for bids. From todays paper it looks like they want someone to cut 3k acres. 
Aloha,
Kanoa

Ianab

It's not that the trees are worthless, it's just that the infrastructure to market them from Hawaii isn't in place. 

"Build it and they will come" isn't always the answer. 

And setting up the infrastructure now is questionable, because of the current problems, there is no ongoing harvest being replanted once the current one is gone.

Locally you could make money cutting that stuff for firewood, but being a tropical Island I'm guessing that market is extremely limited.  :D

Hopefully someone can put a plan together with enough financial backing to make it work.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!