iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Sugar Shack

Started by henry13, February 27, 2019, 03:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henry13

Here are the first photos of our timber frame sugar shack.

Timber Frame School Guy from Wisconsin

Old Greenhorn

That is pretty! If you fill in some of your profile info, we can know a little more about what you are working with and generally where you are.
 Are those very recent photos, or are you further along now?
 Wondering how you started that, i.e. are the posts set on the ground, sitting on blocks or what? Footings?
 In any event, welcome to the forum, nice opening salvo, well done. 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

henry13

Thanks for kind words.

The project is still in the works.  Not much new since the last photo.  Too much snow.

The foundation simply sits on a concrete blocks on top of a gravel pad.  Under the floor decking is a series of timber frame joists that rest directly on the concrete blocks.  The area under the boiler is filled with gravel and concrete pavers.  I will post a photo of the joist network.

Thanks again for the awesome welcome!

Old Greenhorn

I continue to think about doing something like this, but can't even figure how to start. This plan is something I could do, now I just need a spot and a lot of trees. :) 
 What state are you in?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

dustyjay

Welcome to the forum. I did a similar project. Here's mine:

Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

henry13

Great building - I read your posts.  I especially liked the timber framing you used.  Very well done.  My family actually makes the syrup, I just like making buildings.

henry13

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 27, 2019, 07:11:09 PM
I continue to think about doing something like this, but can't even figure how to start. This plan is something I could do, now I just need a spot and a lot of trees. :)
What state are you in?
I live near La Crosse, Wisconsin.  The sugar shack is located on hunting property in northwest Wisconsin near Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  We started by looking at the various photos on sites like this and by reading books on Timber Framing.  I made a timber frame cabin (no photos - we sold it) about 15 years ago so I had some experience with joinery and planning.  
We are now planning a matching cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!