iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

reading the spark plug

Started by twoodward15, June 03, 2006, 02:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

So, I got this chainsaw mill running and made some wood today.  I decided to take the plug out and check it because I was having problems starting it.  It's a really hard starting saw, but seems to run fine once it fires.  Anyway.  I pull the plug and it is DEAD CLEAN, not ash no soot no oil.  It was clean metal with a slight brown color to it.  I'm at a loss.  I'v enever seen this happen before.  There's always a bit of ash or oil on plugs.  I was looking for the grey plug, but now I don't know what to think.  Am I too lean?  I will add that while milling with it I ran it out of gas.  The old 10000 rpm to 12000 rpm lean out and stall.  After I couldn't get it started again I pulled the plug and found that.  Anyone got any ideas what I should do or not do?  Is it something to be worried about?  I'm still surprised I didn't blow the motor milling with it.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Kevin

Tom

My old Mac PM610 would do that.  I'd let it sit a few minutes with a full tank of gas and it would crank back up.  I figgered it was vapor locking when hot.    Then there were those days when it cranked on the first pull every time.  Then there were those days when it wouldn't start regardless of what I did.    Tha's a Mac for ya!

twoodward15

She's tough.  It started hard in the morning when it was cold.  I started it in two pulls once when it was hot and it was a bear the rest of the time.  I'll check the gas cap to look at the vent.  Thanks Tom!

twoodward15

even if there isn't anything on it.  It's bare metal.  Not even a bit of ash or carbon build up on it.  It actually scared me because it's so clean.

Reddog

As long as it is brown and not grey/white. Should be good, If your worried, richen it a little and mill some. See what you get, the worst would be a fouled plug. My .02

twoodward15

true.  I'll keep running it and see what the plug shows.

rebocardo

Don't start a cold saw on the chainsaw mill. Start it on the ground, let it idle for five minutes, let it rip cutting something, then shut it off. Then attach it to the mill. Also, make sure your fuel filter is not bobbing to the top (which would be the side of the tank normally). I had to twist mine a bit so it stayed near the bottom (left side) when on the chain saw mill.

twoodward15

I let it warm up, but didn't load it first before milling.  I'll do that next time.  I certainly don't have a fuel problem.

Pullinchips

If My stihl saw runs out of gas and has the lean run your talking about then cut out or just dies at idle from being out of gas once i fill it to start it takes quite a few pulls.  But on the other hand when i hear it stumble from a low gas level right before it runs dry and refill it it starts right up on the first pull.  If it runs dry the reason it takes more pulls is that you have to suck the gas into the carb and then it can fire where as when i shut it down early there is no interuption of the fuel supply.

I may have missunderstood your problem but it sounds like what i experience if i run the saw dry.

-Nate
Resident Forester
US Army Corps of Engineers: Savannah District

Clemson Forestry Grad 2004
MFR Clemson University 2006
Stihl MS 390

twoodward15

Nah, my problem is actually the clean spark plug.  I didn't think it was normal.  Oddly, it didn't stumble a bit.  It wound up for a split second (I thought I blew the motor) then she quit.  Bone dry tank.  Not even a drop.

Tony_T

Quote from: twoodward15 on June 05, 2006, 11:18:44 AM
Nah, my problem is actually the clean spark plug.  I didn't think it was normal.  Oddly, it didn't stumble a bit.  It wound up for a split second (I thought I blew the motor) then she quit.  Bone dry tank.  Not even a drop.

Realize when you run it dry it's going to be lean till it dies.  To get a more accurate plug reading wait till you're right in the middle of a cut with the saw fully warmed up then just kill it and check the plug.  This will give you a better videa of what the plug is doing when you most have to worry about.  If it still looks lean richen it up and try the above again.

Thank You Sponsors!