iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup....

Started by Mr Mom, March 11, 2009, 02:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

How is the production coming??
My wife talked to a friend that makes it and he said that it is not a good year to warm to long.
I am going to see his sugarbush sunday in Middlefeild Ohio.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

Hasn't even started here, but soon I suspect. Last year there was almost nothing, cold all spring and warmed up fast within a few days spread and wouldn't freeze up. Needs to get in that -5C to +5 C cycle to run good.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mr Mom

That is what he said got warm and stayed warm.
   He is on a tour list and he said if he didnt get anymore sap he will end up just using water so people can see how he does it.
   Said that we could look a other places but they are all $100,000 setups. There is not much to do at thoese sites but watch machines do the work.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

Yes, that is what it has become. Most those large operations are on crown leases here. One place in my county has 1500 acres tapped and they have mechanized monitoring on the lines, so a lot less staff and a lot less running around to find the problems. Most woodlot operations are well under 100 acres. I think one local operation has a tour this week for seniors, but the sap ain't running yet, so it will be old syrup from last season on the table.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

olyman

SwampDonkey

-5F this morning, I don't think she'll be flowing today. ;D

JTAD

I was on line and found the March Maple Madness Drive It Yourself tour.  Are you familar with this at all.  I was thinking of making a small spring break trip to OH from IN, I see thre is a "tour" on March 21 and 22.  Is it worth a 3 hr drive to see these operations?  If there is no flow then what will we see?  Do you know of any sawmill operations or sawyers around the tour areas?
Thanks. Jane

Raider Bill

My Dad just sent me my yearly gallon on NY states finest medium amber!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Raider, you going to be able to tap sugar maple up at Tenn.? Seems to me there should be maples in those hills. ;D I've been down in that neck of the woods, but I was in pine plantations on them ridges that the beetle were eating up. They were trying to salvage harvest what they could. It was forest land converted from hardwoods from my close examination of it.

RSteiner

The evaporator is fired up right now!  We have been making syrup for a couple of weeks.  The weather has turned cold today which slowed things down.

I helped a friend for a couple of days with some of the 9,500+ taps they put out.  Last year they had their best year yet producing over 3,000 gallons of syrup.  I don't think this year will top that but it looks like it could be a better than average year.

Randy
Randy

Mr Mom

jtad..No i am not familer with this march madness tour.

We did get to see one place that was a little hobby sugar shack and got to taste raw sap and just made syrup. Got to see sap coming out of a tap in a near by tree.

The place was a person that my wife works with. He is 71 and does it for fun.

If there no sap then i dont know what they will do but the place we went to said that he would boil water just to show people what it looks like.

As for sawmill i dont know i am not from there.

Dont know how i missed your post.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Mr Mom on March 23, 2009, 08:25:24 PM

If there no sap then i dont know what they will do but the place we went to said that he would boil water just to show people what it looks like.

:D :D :D That's what they did for the show when mom and dad went on tour last week. They said it was running a little and with the evaporator going it detracted from the reality that it was only 15 degrees outside. :D Mom and dad knew it was for show and no sap was running that day. Some people wouldn't add 2 and 2. ;)

thecfarm

Maple Sunday was last Sunday.The wife and I like to go around and tour the shacks.But I was working,so maybe next year.There is quite a crowd each time we go.Most places would gladly show you around any day,if they are there.Especially if you are buying.  ;)  I  doubt it's flowing much this week.Have not hardly been above freezing for 2-3 days and the wind blowing.That will tighten things up.Last week should have been a good week.Dropped down below freezing each night and in the 40's with the sun out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on March 24, 2009, 08:02:02 AM
Last week should have been a good week.Dropped down below freezing each night and in the 40's with the sun out.

Yeah, but a couple days in the 40's after it's been frozen solid isn't going to be long enough to get her going. The fine branches that broke in winter will drip, cause they will be thawed out quick in the sun. My cousin hasn't even placed the spiles back in the trees yet.

Raider Bill

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 23, 2009, 07:02:26 PM
Raider, you going to be able to tap sugar maple up at Tenn.? Seems to me there should be maples in those hills. ;D I've been down in that neck of the woods, but I was in pine plantations on them ridges that the beetle were eating up. They were trying to salvage harvest what they could. It was forest land converted from hardwoods from my close examination of it.
I've not heard of anyone doing that. I don't think it gets cold enough.
I do have a couple of what appears to be sugar maples on the prop but they are small.

My land was logged off in 80, they planted pines which were hit by the beetles. regrowth seems to be coming on strong. For whatever reason my bottom 35 acres which I think is lob lolly didn't take a beetle hit as there are no dead trees there. The other 35 which is mixed with hardwoods have dead rotting pines laying all over the place.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Probably does, but it would be a very short season. Even up here, do well to get 3 weeks worth. After mid-April it's over unless there is some filtering involved. My cousin just plugged the spiles in today. Not running today, won't tomorrow much either even though it's going up to 50 F, it's been freezing cold for 4 days.

Thank You Sponsors!