iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Price

Started by whittle1, January 15, 2018, 07:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle1

I almost feel like I need to apologize before even asking this question but here goes. Iv'e read all the posts I can find on pricing lumber and still completely confused. Green and right off the saw or stickered and air dried is there much difference in price?
I have SYP 1x12 x20' clear and air dried. I have been hanging on to it until I could build a kiln but have one guy that wants 200 bdft of it. I have plenty and wouldnt mind selling him some but dont know what to charge. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a rule of thumb that rough lumber would follow the lumber yard price by a certain percentage? Just throwing #'s out there but it would be easy if for instance green 50%, air dried 60% and Kiln dried 70%.
Thanks Wayne

WV Sawmiller

W1,

I only saw for others and sell a little green/partially air dried lumber. If I found/find someone close by with a Kiln I might make the same consideration. If I ever start to or were going to sell KD lumber I would want to determine:

1. How much is is going to cost me to have it KD?
2. How many more times and I going to have to handle the lumber and how much does each handling cost me?
3. How much is it going to cost me to transport the lumber to and from the Kiln?
4. How much loss will I incur during drying?
5. Can I sell some of this damaged lumber at a reduced price to recoup some of my loss costs?
6. How much is storage costs going to increase for KD lumber?
7. How much quicker/longer will it be/take to sell the KD lumber? (Cost of money affected here)
8. Is my marketing costs going to change and if so how much is the cost?

Once you have these costs if you add them to your green bf pricing I think you will find a flat rate or ratio (Some woods will cost more to KD than others).

I would not be surprised to find you could readily sell green lumber for half the price of KD lumber and make as much or more profit in many cases.  Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

The thing is that you cannot find 1x12x20 clear SYP lumber at the lumber yard.  You might, maybe, could get if special ordered, maybe. 

For 1x12x20, clear, SYP, air dried, I would be about $1.75/bf. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!