iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lombard Log Hauler

Started by loggah, January 01, 2013, 07:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

Here is a photo of my Lombard Log Hauler. Built in 1925 in Waterville, ME, I have owned it since 1977.

It was used up on the Allagash, in Northern Maine, working out of Churchill Depot. This tractor was once owned by Ed LaCroix Madewaska Company, and it hauled long sled trains loaded with pulp wood for Great Northern Paper Company. It's in complete and original condition, and runs great. I believe it is the only original one in existence.

In this photo, it has a set of wheels on the front, but it also has skis for winter use.

Just thought some here might be interested in one of my old pieces of iron.

Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

snowstorm

there was one at the winsor fair this summer. may have been a bit smalled than yours. king edward was also the one that brought the two trains to eagle lake. they are still there.

shinnlinger

Are you putting it on skis for the winter????
Love it!!!!  Might wander over for a look see if you are running it anytime soon.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JDeere

That is a beautiful piece of iron. I would love to see it someday. I think there is also one at the lumbermen's museum in Patten, Maine.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

loggah

It is if you can afford the gasoline!!!! 1090 cubic inch 6 cylinder Wisconsin model P.T. engine  5 3/4" bore ,7" stroke. When these were used they burned about 8 gallons per hour. the one in Winslow probably belonged to Paul Breton and could have been their model T lombard it is a 6 ton machine. My model LW is a bit over 9 1/2 tons. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

cutter88

that is a very cool pic there is one like that in an old musiem about 5 min from my yard but im not sure what kind it is
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

loggah

There several Lombards in Museums in Maine,Ashland,Pattern, and the Maine state museum in Augusta,also some in private ownership.I believe  mine is the only one with the correct engine in operating condition,there is one that has been repowered with a international truck engine and auxiliary transmission. Don

loggah

Cutter, It is probably a Linn log hauler ,or tractor,a bunch were used in Canada. Linn used to work for Lombard then he Moved to Morris New York and started his own factory to manufacture Linn tractors. Don

snowstorm

there is also one in waterville. on the rite after crossing the bridge from winslow

loggah

Oh, Ya i forgot about that one!! That one was a Lacroix machine also , It was one that the Waterville Maine high school was to rebuild years ago in their shop but never did ,it was one of three machines ,The Bretons in Vasselboro put it together for a static display in exchange for the rest of the Lombard parts machines. Don

snowstorm

the trains are between eagle and chamberlian lake in northern maine. lacroix brought them from quebec . they are big steam trains that ran on oil. i dont recall how many miles of track but it wasnt a lot. there is also a sream donkey engine that ran a tramway between the two lakes to move wood. its only about a 1/4 mile between the lakes. when they were done with logging that area they decided that it was too expensive to move the trains so they were left in the train shed. many years a go someone from the maine forest service thought it would be a good idear to burn the building with the trains inside. last time i was there was at least 20 yrs ago. you can ride your snowmobile rite to them.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Snowstorm, Those Locomotives were hauled in from Lac Frontiere Quebec with Lombard tractors. A friend of mine from Windham worked with a railroad group and boy scouts jacking them back up and reballasting the tracks so they sit level on the rails. The park service in their wisdom also burnt down the log hauler shed at Churchill Depot at the same time, fortunately a logger in the area pulled the lombards out of the shed before the building was torched. Don

barbender

That is a neat machine, Loggah! Those were used in Northern Mn as well, but I've never seen one left around. I'd love to see one in person.
Too many irons in the fire

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Meadows Miller

Gday

I like it your a lucky bloke to own one Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

loggah

Chris, I actually own another complete chassis,just havent got the engine in it yet. I put another machine together back in the 70,s it was originally supposed to go to a museum in Northern N.H. the museum didn't happen and now the machine is in the state snowmobile museum at bear brook in Allentown,its occasionally seen on N.H. television shows.  Don

jocco

I think there is one at lennords mills in Maine also not sure the size and modle. ;D
You may check out but you will never leave

barbender

Careful, Sprucebunny saw the tracks on that thing and there is probably some serious coveting going on :D
Too many irons in the fire

loggah

Jocco. The one at Leonards mills is a early steam lombard, they had a new boiler made and a friend of mine was restoring it ,Bill Lynch, he died suddenly last fall and i don't know what the status is on the steamer it now. there is a Steam Lombard fully restored at the White mountain central R.R. in Lincoln N.H.where they also have three geared logging steam locomotives. I worked with the crew up there gathering up parts from 6 derelict steamers in the Maine woods to finally complete the one . It took 16 years of scrounging and manufacturing parts to complete it.  ;D Don

lumberjack48

barbender, some type of locomotive went down in a swamp between Funkly and Alvwood in Nore Township in the early 1900's. We were always going to go look for it but never did. I don't know how deep it sank, some of these sink holes seem to have no bottom.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

loggah

In 1905 Lombard licensed Phoenix manufacturing co of Eau Claire Wisconsin to manufacture  steam log haulers, they made about 100 machines,and had to pay Lombard a royalty of $1000 on each machine produced.  They were used all over the upper midwest, Canada, 3 even going to Russia,and 2 to Finland, It could have been one of these left in the swamp when the winter haul road gave out. Don

Piston

That is a really cool looking machine and thanks for posting!
Do you have any pictures of it in the winter, with the skiis on it?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

lumberjack48

Heres a lombard locomotive

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!