iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leeches by the dozen!!

Started by Grizzly, July 15, 2017, 08:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

There's already a tick topic but I had some questions regarding leeches.

Are there more than one type of leech? Human type not included.  :)

How many ways are used for removing them? We use salt most commonly as it is easy to use and produces quick results but have found Vaseline produces the most clean removal with no after effects at all.

What are good ways of trapping them? We found a few online, more wondering what you know works and what doesn't. We have a lake with lots of shoreline and thousands of leeches but no fish to eat them. Makes swimming a nuisance.

We think we have some fish fry coming along but they won't be mature for a few years yet and I'm wondering what we might be able to do in the mean time. Any ideas or suggestions?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

drobertson

That sounds bad, we have a small amount to deal with at times in our streams.  These are smaller than most I believe, maybe an inch long.  I might be tempted to contact a wildlife biologist from your area to see what if any measures that could be taken.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

Thought about selling them?

There was a thing on TV about leeches used for medical treatment, for serious limb surgery where veins (the return vessels) are severed. When that happens blood builds up in the affected limb, and goes bad. Apparently leeches are the No1 treatment for this problem as they suck the excess blood out of the affected area in a sterile manner, preventing clotting, necrosis and loosing the body part.  Blood can be replaced if the body part, graft, transplant survives.

Anyway  the show had some teenagers wading around in pond (in waders), trapping leeches, which they kept then in a tank for a few  weeks, then sent them off to various hospitals.

Don't know if these are the same guys, but get your leeches here.
http://leeches-nz.co.nz/
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

trapper

Around here they are a very popular walleye bait.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!